Weights Unfashionable!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pgm316, Dec 28, 2005.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Are all of us that lift weights and grow bigger destined to a life of lousy clothing :cry:

I recently went to an expensive clothes shop and they struggled to fit me into many of the Armani, Hugo Boss etc shirts. Does that mean its a life of wearing stuff like this!?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before you say it, I'm NOT obsessed with designer labels. I just don't want to spend the rest of my life wearing lumberjack shirts and clown pants :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I know what you mean, trying to buy jeans is horrible, if they fit my waist I still can't actually get them past my thighs :(

3. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

Is there not fashionable stuff for "fat" people that you can have tailored for you ?

4. neb

neb Banned Banned

LMAO!
    :D

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

And what exactly is wrong with wearing lumberjack shirts and clown trousers? :D This isn't a problem that my skinny frame has had yet, but after a year of lifting weights, how much longer can it be?!
    I've gotta say, I much prefer the MC Hammer style trousers ;)

[​IMG]

6. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

So it DOES pay to be 5'8" and 150lbs. eh? :D

7. CrazyMoonwalker

CrazyMoonwalker Dancing with the devil

I wouldnt worry if i were you. Here in Italy, probably the country where people are most concerned about fashion in the world, there are plenty of people lifting weights, and I doubt they have much of a problem finding clothes. Im sure in London you will find plenty of shops to accomodate your size (unless you are ridiculously huge, in which case i would follow the suggestion of the especially tailored clotehs for "fat" people. :D

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

One of my mates works in pretty much the dearest shop in Manchester (flannels) and he said that there's loads of huge guys who come in and can't get designer (read: expensive) clothes to fit them at all.

9. Gray

Gray New Member

It pays to be 140 pounds, I guess.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Have the stuff tailored. Off-the-rack suits are generally crap anyhow. A tailored suit is not that much more if figure it against how long the thing lasts.

Even better - use it as an excuse to get to Bangkok and several suits and shirts made at one time. It'll cost you very little by comparison and you will get the cloth, the style and the fit you want.

Off-the-rack suits always look just that.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Try being a small woman with biceps (and not particularly big ones either)! All girly clothes (including sports gear) are aimed at stick thin model types! And 'petite' doesn't mean small, it means anorexic! :bang:

Every time I try on a t-shirt I have to try a medium or even a large otherwise I end up cutting off the circulation to my fingers!

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I believe in the Spartan philosophy when it comes to clothing. I train hard so I can look good wearing anything. :D

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

My dad used to own a tux shop, and one day we had to do a wedding for a bunch of bodybuilders (the smallest guy in the wedding party was probably a 48 inch chest, with the largest being a 54 inch cest). Fitting them was a nightmare. Try big and tall shops, and also ask for "athletic cut"... "athletic cut" clothing, at least in the states, is gerenally cut to fit a larger frame than regular cuts.

14. NaughtyKnight

You could always road trip it to Hong Kong. They make talored suits for next to nothing. My dad is big (mostly fat) and he got 3 or 4 suits made for him.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And how many of the 20-somethings posting here can afford to make that trip ;)

16. NaughtyKnight

Rofl. Well guess the potato sack will have to do then :D.

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Hey, you never know. Tommy Hilfiger is damn near bankrupt; put the right guy in it, and you may get corporate sponsorship and a new line of clothing!

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I definitely wouldn't say I'm huge though, around 210lb at the moment. When I tried FCUK the XL shirts were far too small. Getting a bit worried what'll happen if I gain much more weight/size with the weights. The huge guys must really struggle shopping :eek:

I think this is the best idea, not sure about Bangkok! :D But some tailored clothes are likely to be the best option. Unless you want to look like a fat person with no dress sense :D

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Erm... dude, you were trying to buy FCUK t shirts, it's a good job they didn't fit because they are awful :D

20. CrazyMoonwalker

CrazyMoonwalker Dancing with the devil

Man, if i made the lb to kg translation right, you are huge. Why would you want to get any bigger than that? Of course resembling a gorilla will not make shopping any easier. ;)