Weights and posture

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I have found that, since I got into weightlifting, my posture in everyday life has been a lot better. I find myself naturally keeping my back straight when I'm standing or sitting, rather than arching or hyper-extending it, which makes me feel a lot more comfortable. Is this a normal benefit of lifting or is it just me?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It is a benefit of training.

We are designed to move and it's our ever increasingly sedentary lifestyle that makes us end up bent out of shape.

The muscles are there to support the skeleton and that is what you now have. A more effectively supported skeleton surrounded by correctly working muscles.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Poor posture if often caused by an imbalance in the muscles. Some get weak, while others become tight.

Your training will have strengthened the weak muscles and the additional stretching through traning will have loosened the tight muscles.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The opposite can also be true. Poor exercise selection can make postural issues worse, e.g. too much emphasis on bench pressing can enhance the horrible forward hunched shoulders position a lot of desk bound folk have. Too many people place too much emphasis on pressing and nowhere near enough on pulling exercises.

I recommend having a read of Mike Roberston's Neanderthal No More and Heal That Hunchback articles which can be found by scrolling down the page here: http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/articles/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what they said.

6. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Every time I do push work, after my workout, I do band stretches. Basically get a stout exercise band (not the little, round, hollow synthetic ones, but actual bands...the kind that make your fingers smell after using them)...hold the band with your hands extended at shoulder width or slightly less. Pull the band apart by squeezing your shoulderblades together and think like you are pinching something between your shoulder blades. This stretches the chest as well. Feels great after a solid bench workout, and doesn't take long to get wore out.

Bent over rows are a good pull and counter to push days.

Glad to hear you've had such a positive effect so far!

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Echo... :)

I think there is a significant mental component to it as well. Namely stress related tension and not having an outlet for it, such as exercise etc. Whereas, those who do have an outlet for stress, such as exercise, tend to be able to release a lot of the tension accumulated from sitting on your backside in front of the PC for 8+ hours daily.

However, personally, I think the main component is stress/tension release, not necessarily weight lifting, though weight lifting certainly can be stress relieving and mood enhancing.