Weightlifting for martial arts.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

to an extent i agree, but i maintain that the division of workouts into body parts is flawed when one's workout consists mainly of big compound movements. when i do low-bar back squats, i'm working my lower back as well as my legs. when i do power cleans, i'm working the entire posterior chain. when i do presses or dead start front squats i work my abs quite a bit. deadlifts work pretty much the entire posterior chain, while sumo deads work the sides of the hip and thighs. olympic lifts work everything. it's a generalization that, while not bad, per se, is impractical for certain types of workouts that are better classified using a different sort of terminology.

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I dunno man, might be the scotch talking, but I think if dude are worrying about what to name their workout maybe they need to worry more about their acctual work outs?

When I do deads it's to get stronger at deads, when I follow it up with FS it's to strengthen my quads and abs, I couldn't give a rats ass if I'll be working those muscles when I do whatever tomorow, am I making sense? I doubt it lol.

When I'm walking into the gym and the regulars are like "what're you training today?" I always answer "me"
    No wonder I'm so unpopular, lol.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Well, I've never heard abs classified as a split "Chest, Tris and Abs", in that abs are pretty much always used - or at least SHOULD be. Even standing bicep curls, if done properly, use a fair bit of abs.

When I do a Chest, Tris and Delts workout I also use biceps, legs, hammies, abs, traps, lats, intercostals, forearm extensors/flexors... But that gets to be awfully long winded. So we focus on the majors and understand the rest is implied. For deads, as an example, Deads would fall in on Back day for 90% of all BBers for the very reason you suggested. Since rear delt, low back, hammies and glutes all get a workout from heavy bent overs, adding deads makes sense so, deads, rows and whatnot could easily be part of "back and shoulders" or "back and biceps"

4. Fish Of Doom

well, that's a whole other subject by itself :p. we're pretty much in agreement there, though.

bwahahaha! if it weren't impossible to use in spanish without complete grammatical butchery, i'd steal that one :p

5. Fish Of Doom

i keep it simple and work everything in every workout, anyway :p

6. Bigmikey

... and there it is. I got nothin, Fod. I bow to you, sir, as this round is clearly yours :D

7. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Including the hair press?

8. Fish Of Doom

my hair works my scalp isometrically 24/7

9. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

I don't bother giving days names anymore. Its either a squat day, or an Olympic lift day. Or a screwing around day.

10. Bigmikey

But.... ummm... those are names... :confused:

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

o_OooK Mr. Smarty pants.

12. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Those aren't names. They are descriptions. I don't say "today's chest day". I say "time to go lift".

13. Bigmikey

But before you said "squat day"... so which is it? Do you just walk in and do whatever or do you have a plan for the day? DO YOU have a "Squat Day" which involves leaving the house with the intent to squat? If so... :)

14. Ero-Sennin

Squat day is not a bodybuilder or weightlifter or workout term, not for those who are serious. It is the label of a ritual common to those in the cult, in which purging of sins and discretions is done, a spiritual, mental and physical journey and a discipline used to ascend the understanding of normal human existence through pain and achievement.

Just wanted to clear that up, as if I could have a shrine to squats in my house I would have such.

15. Fish Of Doom

"as if I could have a shrine to squats in my house I would have such"

i do believe that is called a rack.

16. Ero-Sennin

Which I do not have room for, sir. A very sad situation I am in, being in a 1 bedroom apartment on the 5th floor of a building : (.

17. Fish Of Doom

squat stands?

also ATG anderson zercher squats :p

18. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OKweR-N-g&feature=related"]Dead-start Zercher Squats - YouTube[/ame] :D

19. Ero-Sennin

I have a wife man! Bringing 400lbs of weights with an olympic bar (at parents house many states away) and storing them in a small apartment, and buying Vulcan Racks from Ironmind will put me in so much distress from the wife nagging, yelling, and probably throwing the weights at me that I wouldn't be able to do squats.

I do have a 60lbs dumbell in which goblet squats are often done with though. I need to get a heavier one, but won't be able to justify it financially with the wife.

20. Fish Of Doom

squat your wife.