Weighted Shadowboxing gloves

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Rakim, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Hi ppl, been boxing a while now, just thought i'd ask if anyone else uses weighted shadowboxing gloves, and if so, what are the advantages? They are leather, fingerless, and I believe they have 2x1lb weights in each glove, one of which is detachable. The only difference I can see/feel so far, is increased endurance in my shoulders when sparring, and a slight increase in speed.

2. dexxl

dexxl New Member

if the weights are strapped onto your wrist, make sure you don't hit a bag with them. u'll break your wrist,..

i know ur talkin about shadow boxing, i'm just saying cos i hurt my wrist like that...

but i think that unless the weights are positioned correct and they feel natural then it's safe, or else it could throw your technique out. ie. bending wrist downwards when 'landin' your punch.

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I never wear gloves when I shadow box. I just wrap my hands.

4. Greg

Greg Valued Member

My friend uses weighed gloves, and he says they've improved his speed. Instead of weights, I use larger gloves (16oz); they have the same effect since they weigh more than 12oz gloves.

5. The thing is, having weights on your wrists is only really going to improve your perceived speed. The weight's acting in the wrong direction. If you were going to train with resistance for punches, you want to be punching against something (eg: a cable). The heaviest thing you want on your wrists for shadow sparring is 10oz (same as a competition glove). Wear 16s for bagwork or sparring for added protection - not resistance.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not entirely true - look at most of the major boxing glove manufacturers they for the most part have weighted bag gloves. Though the weight is nowhere near as heavy as 1lb. per glove addittional to the weight of the glove.

Yeah cable isn't really my first choice though as it harldy mimics the real action of a punch. Med ball punches with the smaller size medballs are a better option IMO. www.Rossboxing has lots of this marterial in his books and it's something we use for both our fighters competitive and non-competitive.

LOL! :D
    I'd love to be able to get away with 10oz. gloves!
    Not sure what rule set your fighting under but our gloves are 8oz.

7. So it isn't going to be much heavier than a 16oz glove. 1lb = 16oz and a bag glove typically weighs less than a normal one. Fair enough though - I see your point.

I hate the damn things (cables)! I prefer to just hit the heavy bag :)

Really? :eek: You learn something new every day. It's 10oz over here - boxing and kickboxing.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah for the most part me to. I've tried a ton of different cable exercises with just about every machine known to man... but most of them are good for developing strength only. I've often wondered how much that sort of conditioning carries over to a sport/MA like boxing where it's strength but a huge amount focuses on speed. So that rotational power is a component of speed and not strength or part of both... or..

Interesting. Is it the same for pro's as well? Any idea of the MT glove weights there at a competitive level?

9. Seems like once you get the weight to anything decent with cable punches, you have to lean at a very odd angle to be able to punch. Have seen a few people using this method of training at my gym though. May have to ask them :p

I think heavyweight pros use 12oz, but im not at all sure about that. Certainly 10 though. No idea about MT glove weights at any level here. Can find out for you if you want?

EDIT: From WMTCs website:

• Mini Flyweight - Junior Featherweight
    6 ounce (132 grams)

• Featherweight - Welterweight
    8 ounce (227 grams)

• Junior Middleweight and upwards
    10 ounce (284 grams)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006