Weighted pull ups + dips

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by NaziKiller, Oct 4, 2007.

1. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Can I use a school bag and fill it with weight plates for weighting my pullups and dips? or will it put too much strain on my shoulders\back\lower back\whatever? Also, is it ok if the dips I do aren't on the power rack, but between a couch and a table (both about the same height)? I'm asking because the dip becomes a bit different, there isn't anything to put my hands around so I put my hands flat on the couch\table, so maybe that's changing an element of my workout. Thanks.

2. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

I do the same thing, but I use my heavy college textbooks inside my backpack...I find it adds a lot to both workouts.

3. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

I had the same question.

I was wondering if rigging the straps through my legs might be better or not. Iunno though.

This site has good weighted dip and pull up stuff. Check out the One Arm Chin and the Muscle Up tutorials. He says using a weight lifting belt is a good idea for adding weight. I think they're relativly cheap too.

4. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i was gonna try it, but i found that for me, it put too much strain on my back w/ pushups. if i can put it on the upper back, it might be fine tho, havent been able to try it. that and my backpack is small and loaded w/ books i don't have a way to put it on.

5. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

And what about the dips? does anyone have an idea of whether or not the dips are different when not wrapping one's hands around the dip-poles?

6. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i don't notice a difference in muscle groups.

7. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

OK, thank you very much.