Weight Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Andy Murray, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I am interested to hear people opinions on how best to supplement MA with weight training. Obviously kicking styles will have a different requirement to grappling styles.

Do you feel weights have any negative effects on Speed/Mobility?

I have my own ideas, but I wanna hear from you!. Ladies too!

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Since taking up MA I have found it benefits me to do at least some circuit training. It improves my overall fitness and stamina and tones all muscles not just the ones used during training. Due to my knee injury last year I have to at least work my legs so I figured I'd do the lot in one go.

My Sensei had problems a couple of years ago, he bulked up too much and had to lose a bit of muscle tone as it made his kata and basics less fluid. He said it took a couple of friends of his to point it out and glad he rectified the situation when he did as he was going for his 2nd Dan 4 months later.

Melanie

3. Andy Murray

Yeah right. I'm not fat, I just had to lose muscle tone so I could do Kata. Must remember that one. lol.

Strong Quadriceps stabilise lateral movement of the knee!

A lot of stress is placed on the knee of the supporting leg when throwing a kick. As the hips have to rotate, the foot needs to move, but excess of traction with the floor focusses the stress on the Medial Ligament of the knee, especially on round kick. Some styles lift the heel of the supporting leg off the floor as they launch the kick. this speeds up the kick as well!

4. khafra

khafra New Member

Read Big Mf'r magazine on www.avantlabs.com. An issue a while ago had a long, detailed article on weight training for speed and power. Essentially, when you weight train your % of fast twitch muscle goes up, if you avoid training for 6-8 weeks the % of fast twitch goes up well past what you started with, and stays higher through the next cycle of weight training.
    Cycling on and off, you should eventually become the ultimate power athlete (at the expense of muscular endurance, but why have a long fight if you can knock the other guy across the room with the first punch?)

5. waya

waya Valued Member

I train moderately with weights, mostly to improve stamina and skill handling weapons.

As to kicking, staying on the balls of your feet and rotating your support leg so your toes face away from the target is essential if you are going to use a medium to large amount of kicks. It increases range, speed, and power in the kick... It also prevents undue strain on the hips, ankles, and knees.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've heard lots of people say that you can't train to be have speed, strength and endurance, only two of them, well I think thats b*%%*cks, because I do, its just a case of making sure you don't overwork any specific system/muscle group. I workout with freeweights about three times a week and use machines twice a week. The use of strength in grappling is fairly obvious but I think for all martial arts a strong pair of thighs is essential for power and stability. I'm only 5'8 but weigh over 14 stone (thats 172cm 200+ pounds for our american friends) and I assure you that I dont suffer from any lack of speed (unless its a sunday morning training session :) )

7. Andy Murray

So what about sets? Do you folks train High weights low reps, high reps low weights, or combinations?

Do you stretch off the muscle groups you have been training, before or after your set?

How much time do you spend on weight in a week?

8. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I tend to do higher reps, low weights. I am more interested in toning than building my muscles. Although I have been known to build before, especially after my knee injury - due to muscle wastage I had suffered as a result of it.

I tend to stretch before and after! I have major lactic acid problems otherwise :(

I normally only go once a week - all I can spare!

Melanie

9. khafra

khafra New Member

I try for three times a week. 6-8 reps per set. I try for something near plyometrics on at least a few sets on leg day, since I'm all slow twitch muscle. I don't usually stretch, but I do warm up before and cool down after exercising.

10. Freeform

Depends what day it. I do low weights, high reps on the weight machines twice a week and high weight low reps two or three times a week on the free weights.

I do strech before I start but not after cause I'm normally straight off for a swim or Aikido session.

11. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

I do low weight high reps twice a week and cardiovascular work once a week. I'd do more CV if I had time. I always stretch before and after and do a gentle warm up before getting stuck in.
    I've gradually increased my weights while keeping reps high which has resulted in increased strength without bulking.
    I'm only ever sore after martial arts training because stopping to cool down and stretch would hinder my progress towards the pub!

12. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

If you had your way fluffydoc we'd do our training in the pub!!

I try and do weights three times a week. I use a similar method to fluffydoc - in terms of low weights, high reps. I do each set to fail, not a express number. When I can no longer lift the weight I move onto a different muscle group and work them instead. Unfortunately the most weight I lift is that which can be found around my waist! I am an inch taller than Freeform and weigh two stone more than him (175cm, 102kg/224ibs). I always stretch before and after.

Would also recommend getting the occasional massage. A colleague of mine has just got her diploma in Swedish Massage and she has helped get rid of several muscular injuries that I have picked up through various training incidents (more on the mats than with the weights).

13. Freeform

I try to do as much CV as I can, but a pesky ankle injury has prevented me from doing my moring run lately.

All I can say is, gradually build it up cv/weights, find a niche that suits you, no 2 people are the same.

Thanx

Col

14. Andy Murray

Interesting point on massage Silver. I don't suppose that your colleague would know any apprentice Swedish Masseuse' who are in need of a body to practice on. I don't mind suffering, if it helps them pass their exams you know

15. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Do any of you know of a good work out program that could help me get into a lower weight scale. Im in Heavy Weight (210) but i need to get into middle weight (185). Ive been lookin for a program that would help me loose the with and tone muscle without gaining a lot of muscle mass.

-Chazz

16. Andy Murray

Last edited: Mar 13, 2002
  17. Andy Murray

HI, Chazz. Do you run much?. If your knees and back are ok, then this is probably your best answer, but invest in a good pair of running shoes. Generally speaking, CV work till you are sick of it. If you drop a weight for competition fighting, then you will be fighting smaller, faster guys. So you need to be doing reaction and co-ordination training. Your diet has to support any change in the way you train, so look at this as a training partner to help you along the way.

18. khafra

khafra New Member

Have you considered a ketogenic diet coupled with mild aerobic activity first thing in the morning, with 5 grams of L-Glutamine (Or BCAA's if you have the money) on an empty stomach, and sets of 10-12 reps when you work out on the weights, 3 days per week?

Just an idea...

19. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

And in English that means......???:confused:

20. STASH

STASH New Member

Personally I think thats suicide...but thats just me. You sure this program works?