Weight training for different purposes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, Jul 15, 2007.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Hi

Ive started doing a bit of weight training.
    Im aware there are different methods for training different things.

(i think) to build muscle mass you do a heavy weight with low reps (8max) Im not to sure on the amount of sets you would do.

Would this also work for building up strength aswell?
    Is there a better method?

Its mostly my shoulders im wanting to get stronger.

Would it help if i were to post my work out?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Stick to a 5x5, with good diet and plenty of calories you'll built size and strength quickly.

3. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Coma's got a really good point - you should stick to a template unless you really know what you are doing , and even then it's debatable whether you're better off.

How much MA training are you doing at the moment? The 5*5 (there's several links on this site to a couple of variations) is program which has improved lots of peoples strength. However, it may be too much volume if you're doing 4+days of MA a week.

4. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

at the moment im doing 2 nights of ma training and 1 night of gymnastics training.
    Im doing weights after ma training because im not finding ma training very intense at the moment.
    Im not finding it overloading or strainful (at least on the surface im not)

Ill try the 5x5.

I have been doing 8 sets of 8 reps up till now,Does this sound like to much?
    im guessing if i do 5x5 i can work on a heavier weight, where as because im doing 8 reps im probably picking up a lighter weight so it will be easyier.

Thanks for the swift response guys :)

5. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

What coma said!!

Some sites that may help with 5x5:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm
    And:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark70.htm
    although not as helpfull as the first it's ok.

If you'r having problems with 5x5 try ripttoes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

P.S. I just started 5x5 it's the best program for beginers In my opinion with good muscle and strength gains!!

6. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

7. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

If your focus is strength more than mass, I'd use even lower reps. You said you've been lifting for a bit, so I'm assuming that your connective tissue will be able to handle near-maximal loads. If so, hitting 90% or higher of your maximum loads will have the greatest effect on increasing neural efficiency and recruting higher-threshold motor units, the two keys to increasing maximal strength. Try 6x2 or 3x3 for maximal strength. 5x5 is more of a halfway point between increasing max strength and inducing hypertrophy. If that's what you're going for, judging by the fact that you've been doing 8 rep sets for a while I think your body would respond better to a more significant change. If you want strength & size, go for 10 sets of 3.

As well, whatever set/rep scheme you choose, lift the load as explosively as possible to tap into as many muscle fibers as possible, which will accentuate your strength and even your size gains.