weight loss recess

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Mar 1, 2005.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Just a quick question, bin going to the gym for about 3 months and i've lost a stone of weight but all of a sudden i can't seem to shed any weight from 96kg, its bin like that for around about 3 weeks and i'm doing more running (coz i'm getting fitter) and my diet hasn't really changed.

Any thoughts as to why its totally slowed down?

2. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

For some reason the term "plateau" comes to mind. do a search (google) for "weight loss plateaus" and it should point you in the right direction. I think the gist of if is that you just need to work out really intensely for a couple weeks, in order to break the routine, and you'll get off the plateau and back down in weight. Of course, I could be completely wrong and confused that word with something, so take googles word for it, not mine.

3. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

If you are eating the same, but exercising more, then your calorie intake/expenditure has plateaud. You either need to reduce your calorie intake or increase your expenditure more as the increased exercise obviously isn't enough.

Beyond that I would suggest a radical change in your type of exercise for a few weeks, and in your diet if that's healthily possible to trigger a new metabolic effect.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

One word - tabata :D

5. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

taken from http://www.caloriesperhour.com/faqs_net.html

Recalculating Weight Loss

As you lose weight, activity becomes easier and you burn fewer calories performing the same activities. Therefore if you are planning on losing a great amount of weight, you may want to make adjustments as you progress. You can eat less, exercise more, or simply recalculate the date you will reach your goal.

6. Long_Distance_R

Long_Distance_R New Member

Well you probally just burned all your water fat off. If you ever seen this new show called the "biggest LOser" All these fat people come and see who can lose the most weight. Well the first two weeks they been workin there buts off and they lose bout 20lbs. but then the next two week they only lost like 3 pounds. They all started crin cause they had woeked harder the second round than the first and it really brought there hope down. Dont give up youll start buring that real fat in no time and youll have that body that your lookin for.
    Good luck :D

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

How overweight are you? Bear in mind that if you're trying to lose too much weight for your body type, your body will refuse more stubbornly the further you stray from your natural shape.

8. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

This is true to a degree (that show made me mad!) but I'm not sure it's the case here as he has been working out for three months already. It's the intensity and type of workout that needs to be addressed, along with another look at how he's eating.

9. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

This may be one reason why weight reduction is not a very good indicator of fitness.

10. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

I weigh 95.5kg which is 15stone and 1lb and i'm 6ft, i'm not overweight... i'm just trying to lose my belly basically and i'm 17 years of age too.

Also, looking intot he plateu thing, my weight loss should be back on track because i'm noticeablly getting fitter and now running 1.6km (a mile) compared to 0.5 of a km and i've also ran up to about 1.9km and also from that heading onto the rowing machine so, hopefully my weight loss will be back on track.

I'm aiming for around 85kg which is around 13.3 stone (i used to weight 16.3 stone)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  11. seikido

seikido New Member

Try switching your running to fartleks or intervals to shake the routine up.

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Repeat - TABATA. Search it, and have fun :D

13. Long_Distance_R

Long_Distance_R New Member

There was a forum around that was talking about a stomach vacum. Go check it out it looks really usful.

14. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

ah, how much muscle do you have? Personally I wouldn't have a weight goal, even though it's easy. Go get your body fat percentage, as long as that's good you really got nothing to worry about. Unless you want to lose muscle to reach your target weight.