Weight lifting

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Spencer25, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Spencer25

Spencer25 New Member

I've been lifting fairly light weights, and wants better results in my arms, which is better, short reps heavy weights, or light weights long reps?

Thanks...

2. Disaster Master

Disaster Master New Member

What do you mean by "results"?

3. Spencer25

Spencer25 New Member

I want them more well defined, more bold...? do you understand?

4. Disaster Master

Disaster Master New Member

Multiple sets of 8 to 10 reps will do that for you. It won’t help your boxing though.

5. Spencer25

Spencer25 New Member

how many times a week/day should i do those 8-10 reps?

6. Cain

Cain New Member

If you are into bodybuilding you still have to go for the compound exercises, think of them as essential, throw in a few isolation exercises and you have got a routine ;)

You have to train only to a maximum of 3 days a week, and try to keep the weights heavy so 8-10 is the absolute maximum you can go upto.

|Cain|

7. pimphand

pimphand New Member

Boxing training itself will help with arm definition.

Try long arm pull ups - they will work the bicep without the risks of slower punching/shorter reach commonly associated with lifting heavy weights.

Do plenty of press ups for your chest and triceps.

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

You have a Private Message Pimphand!

9. booj

booj New Member

Why is this in a boxing forum? Its a post about jeffing...

10. pimphand

pimphand New Member

Some boxers like to have a jeff - I know Frank Bruno was particularly partial.

I wouldn't recommend weights to all boxers, however, only those who are of a slight build and require improved body strength.

Guys with big muscles may give the appearance of being double hard, but many just turn out to be muscle marys....

...and remember, that geat boxing analogy -
    'You can't grow muscles on a chin'

11. booj

booj New Member

But you can grow muscles on your neck, thus reducing the whiplash action, which rocks the brain and causes a KO...?

12. pimphand

pimphand New Member

good shout - Nigel Benn trained extensively with neck weights and wrestler's bridges to improve his punch resistancy and was certainly less prone to knock out loss as his career developed.

Having said that, if you have a glass jaw, not even a neck like Tyson's can mask it...

13. booj

booj New Member

Can I get a 'Michael Grant'?

uh-oh uh-oh

14. pimphand

pimphand New Member

The guy looked like the dog's tatters until someone decided to plant one on his kisser...

Grant needs to get back to playing basketball and leave the boxing to the guys who can take it as well as dish it out.

15. booj

booj New Member

hard but fair...

16. pimphand

pimphand New Member

Another example of a body beautifull fighter who found it difficult to soak up shots - our very own Pele Peid.

Offensively he looks like a monster.
    When he gets chinned though it all just falls apart.

17. CrazyDragon

CrazyDragon Valued Member

Hey spencer25,

ive been weight training for around 2 years now, i was really weedy at school so i decided to beef myself up. In answer to your question, it is definatly better lifting heavier weights for shorter reps.
    If you normally lift a 30 pound dumbbell for 8-10 reps, and you find that youcan accomplish the feat.
    increase the weight by 5/10 pounds and do less reps, say 6-7.
    Also if you want to gain body mass, try not to lift weights fast thinking speed is better, it will only burn you out faster so you are tired when you get to the most important part of your set, which is the last few reps where your really exhausted and need to push yourself.
    Lift a weight slow and smooth counting 2 seconds whilst lifting, this will gain mass, and leave you really well toned.

tell me how u get on, see ya

18. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

Low reps high weight. How many times must we repeat this?

19. CrazyDragon

CrazyDragon Valued Member

Bite me!!!!!!

20. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

BS :p

ten characters

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004