Weight Lifting

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mani, Aug 14, 2003.

?

Does WEIGHT LIFTING go alongside with martial arts

1. YES

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. NO

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. mani

mani Valued Member

does WEIGHT LIFTING go alongside with martial arts, or is it a seperate thing that should be kept outisde the dojo?

2. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Outside the Dojo.

But I do weight lifting alongside Martial arts, but at home.

It just depends on which way you look at it. But the way your saying, I'm going to go 'no'. They are seperate, and I personally don't think they should train at the same time in the 'dojo'.

3. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I am a little unclear as to what your question is. If you are asking if weight training a positive supplement to enhance your athletic ability that in turn helps you as a martial artist. Then I am definitely in favor of it (as well as stretching, cardio, ect. as long as you are not over-training). If your question is should you train MA and lift weights at the same facility. That is a matter of personal choice and availability. (I don't, but I see nothing wrong with doing so). If you are asking about some of the "martial fitness"-type classes (using various names) that are coming out. I think it is another avenue for expansion for the arts to a broader section of the public that shows potential. How well an individual instructor or school organizes the program would determine of how much benefit this could be. (or not be, as the case may be). It also may create more students in regular classes as well, in the long run.

4. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I like to think it plays a major part in my martial arts training. Through weightlifting and strenght training, I've increased my punching and kicking power, Along with wrist strenght for grappling. Its never a requirement for martial arts but its a great way to improve yourself phisically and the way you perform in class.

I think it should be outside the dojo and never forced upon the students. It should'nt be part of the class.

Some schools have some free weights that the students can use at their own free will if they choose to.

Both martial arts and weightlifting provide great health benefits whether they are done together or separate.

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

i think that it should be required or just deeply urged for strength in fighting.
    my beliefs because i work out everyday and it gives me an advantage over like half of my school..

6. Bushi

Bushi New Member

Depends

Look at most Taekwon Do - ka's.
    Most of them look like a line in the landscape - for a good reason.
    A TKD guy has to be fast, strenght comes through technique and speed. In TKD, almost only legs are concerned, so weight lifitng of heavy stand ups aren't required.

A Boxer should rather be pumped-up, for he has to get much power out of the arms musculature. Even the best boxer can't completely rely on his hip power.

I do both boxing and TKD, so I do weight lifting, yes.
    However, if I'd stop boxing, I'd stop weight lifting, too.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I think weight-lifting is obviously a vital part of your conditioning program (though I suppose to an extent replacable with gymnastics-type exercises). I would very much welcome it if my fee for a karate class (if and when I get back to it) included tuition and oversight for weight training as well. :) perhaps it would be best to require a certain level of strength but be fairly liberal as to how it is achieved after all, though.