Weight Gain!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mani, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mani

mani Valued Member

Hi everyone,

I am in desperate need of gaining weight. I am currently 5,7 feet and I weigh in at about 8 stonnes. I am 17.

I have tried eating as much as I can and tried lifting weights, but I still get no results. My metabolism is very fast I suppose. Does any one have any tips of weight gain or any supplements that they might recommend. I am currently thinking about purchasing a product called: Vita Salveo weight gain, heres the link http://weightgainplus.com

HELP!

2. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

how long did you try lifting?

my advise would be, dont give up! growth will come with a proper diet full of protein, amino acids, and moderate carbs. get plenty of sleep, hydrate, and do minimal running. dont cut out cardio completely, but tone it down a bit. you need to build a sturdy frame to add on the lean muscle you want. check out a suppliment called "on off cycle". it will give you the energy you need to put up the heavy weight you need to add on the size, and it will cut down on fatigue so you wont burn out so fast. its made by fizogen. after you get back into the gym, try lifting heavier than your used to with fewer reps. do each rep as if you life depended on it. keep the intensity high through your whole workout. this kind of shock to the muscles promotes an increased rate of growth. but make sure you give each muscle group at least 48 hours of rest, and always stretch before, during and after each session! hope this helps :D

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

for those who are going to ask- 8 stone is 50kg or 110 pounds

4. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

everyone can gain weight,

1. train
    2. eat (carbs+protein)
    3. sex

5. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Have you stopped growing yet.

6. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Number 3 burns off as many calories as running if you have a girlfriend like mine, I wouldn't reccommend it for weight gain. :D

But as someone who has just recently put on a few kg himself I reccommend eating at least two meaty, square yeat healthy meals a day, and the advice above about the weights is also sound. Do as much as you can safely lift with lower reps, and good rest periods. It is during resting that the muscle repairs and builds itself bigger, not while you are lifting... too much is counter-productive! Aim for two or three max intensive sessions a week and you'll notice some decent gains in a couple of months. :)

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

20 rep squats, eat like a horse, sleep like a baby :D

8. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Take a 500gram jar of natural peanut butter and carry it around. Finish it by the end of the day. More than enough extra calories. There is no such thing as a "true" hardgainer. You gotta lift heavy.

Forget about curls.. if you're small, do squats + deads + overhead press. Pump out some growth hormones.
    here
    http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm

9. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

i forgot to mention the squats. legs are the most important muscle to train. working this muscle group regularly will induce a release of testosterone, and we all know what that means.

like adam said, 20 rep squats are an awesome way to get the pump and intensity you need to blow up :D

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I would say that's down more to;
    1. The massive characteristic of the exercise
    and 2. Its weight-bearing, closed kinetic chain nature than anything to do with what muscle groups are being trained.
    To gain weight, two ingredients are needed; food and correct strength training. 20 rep breathing squats are an awesome workout, but best left to those who are already accustomed to lifting heavy weights.

11. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Do you keep a food log? You can say you're eating all day long and not realize how badly you're undereating till you have one.

I have to practically force feed myself to gain my few pounds a week (up 10 pounds in 3 weeks :D )

I wonder if that'll turn into some crazy eating disorder, like a backwards anorexia

edit: i see what looks like 'soy protein isolate' (lil bit small on my comp) so i don't really trust that supplement

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  12. Mr.88

Mr.88 New Member

I was exactly the same (8 1/2 stone) but i have gained loads (up to 11 stone and still going) heres what i did:
    1. Eat like a horse, lots of protein and lots of carbs.
    2. Exercise Upper body 1 day the next legs and core then rest a day.
    3. Sleep more.
    4. Don't do excessive cardio.

Remember all your food intake counts there is a certain amount of cals you need to gain a pound, i now drink whey protein after i exercise. Have it with meals and have a small meal before bed.

You need at least 8 hours sleep
    Any muscle building exercise will help, i used a lot of body weight stuff (weights are expensive :D ) the main thing is persistance it has taken me about 5 months to gain 2 1/2 stone keep at it.

Take these guys advise they really helped me, thanks guys.

13. mani

mani Valued Member

Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll give some time doing sqauts and things, I have never really payed any really attention to them.

14. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I would skip the "on/mid/off cycle," it's horribly overpriced for the product. A much better pre-workout product is No-Xplode but even then, Iron-Tek came out with an even better one, however, I don't think it's on the main market yet...Hank sent us some sample tubs....good stuff.

Anyway, the money you can spend on those On/Mid/Off cycle would be better spent on protein. Most people will say they eat a lot but when they start keeping a food log, they find their calories are not hitting nearly high enough. I'd be curious to see how many calories you get every day and how those calories break down as far as protein, fat, and carbs that you are getting. Most people do not know and therefore do not have an accurate way to gauge if they are actually eating enough or not.

Another thing, you're definately not training correctly--you're missing things like squats, a very basic, beneficial, and important exercise.

The last thing to consider is your rest. The longer your sleep cycle, the more GH can be released.

And last is cardio, to maxmize size-minimize cardio. One day a week of 400 meter running is sufficient.

15. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Patience, Mani, it could be that you gained nothing with weights because you didn't stick to it. Try joining a gym or getting some more advice about weight gaining, but you will not get any reasonable bulk in the first six months, if any. It takes time, you may or may not of spent it, i don't know, just take it easy.

16. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Adam, I dabbled with the 20 rep squat program a while back and loved it. I always wondered about the increase risk of injury though, considering the weight and "all out single set". In Strossen's book he talks about the last few reps being all about willing yourself to do it. This could increase the chance of individuals sacrificing form to make the big "20".

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It could yes, so it's all down to the individual. Remember to maintain your intra-abdominal pressure when lifting and make sure you take enough breaths inbetween reps and you should be fine!