Weight differences?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Yes and maybe... yes I like to do this exercise while cutting.

I just got done with a super weight lifting workout for tonight. I was joined by 2 of my lifting buddies. Both swear by using the Peck Deck and one has been using it since 1989. I thought long and hard about it tonight and did a couple of more reps for you guys , (my homies) who don't do them.............LOL

Kew-Do

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I know thats the common lay term but I was just checking that was what he meant.

Kew Do - People smoked for years and thought it was good for you. Something to think about :)

Ummm... what?

Tonight I did 5x3 on all of:

A: Trap bar deads B: Single leg RDL
    A: Weighted push up B: BB rows
    A: BB curl B: Tricep extension

First day of Chad Waterburys quattro dynamo, modified to fit my equipment. Tomorrows workout should be interesting.

3. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Keep up the good work, I'm sure you know many that say they workout and in reality they're just couch potatoes.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

For the external rotators are the only exercises, the ones with dumbells and cables. I do rows, weighted pushups, pullups and dips should I do rotator cuff exercises?

5. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

holy crap, muscle shaping? step away from arnolds encyclopedia lol
    are you aiming for a triangle or a square shape btw?

you cannot shape a muscle, its shape is predetermined like an empty balloon. You can add mass to it like you can fill a balloon full of air but the shape it will take is always going to be the same.

pec deck is also a **** poor excuse of an exericse IMO, it places your shoulders in a very precarious fixed arc of movement and can lead to rotor cuff problems. If it works for you and you have no shoulder issues then stay with it... but pec deck is right up there with leg extensions and hamstring curl machines.

cute to look at, dangerous when you look in detail to how they stress your muscles and joints

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Well said mate.

I dont know why people would waste energy on the pec deck, when it could be better spent pushing out a few extra dips with a weight strapped to you.

7. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

It aint about bad assery. I've just always felt i was stronger than him, so hearing him doing 60kg weights peeved me off a bit given i can't benchpress 60kg.

Also, what the heck is a pec deck?

8. Incredible Bulk

cant bench 60kg?! :eek:
    i'm not going to bite that hook.....

a pec deck is what sailors walk on before they reach the anchors.

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you can't shape a muscle? where do you get your info from?
    dips and other exercises that have been mentioned are great exercises, dips add mass as well as define the lower portion of the chest, bout how do you bring out the cut down the center of your chest????

10. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

No you can't shape a muscle. The way your muscles will appear are predetermined by genetics. It has to do with insertions and origins of the muscle. And no amount of hitting a muscle at different angles is going to change what God gave ya'.

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you can bring out the definition in it, you will geneticlly get only so big without pharmacutical aids but you can change the apperance of it ie "cuts", striations, ans certain exercises are for that, yes some people don't need to do such exercises being that they maybe geneticlly gifted. i played ball with a gentleman that lifted half **** and was chisled,and strong as an ox naturally but for most that is not the case

12. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I think we're just using different semantics. Yes you can manipulate the "rippedness" of your body (cuts, chiseled abs), and you can hypertroph so you can gain size. I was referring to if (for example) you have broad, flat biceps, you are not going to shape the bicep to have a high peak.

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

agreed :) but you guys do have a y-town'er there coaching your football team :D

14. Incredible Bulk

there is a big difference in your statements, shape and appearance.

You can lower the bodyfat and water levels to show striations revealing the actual muscle shape because there is nothing padding out the skin and making it look smooth.

you play with the hand you are dealt genetics wise and see how it develops when you get some serious size.

you say we are taught by a local-y trainer, lol. I have lent my ear to some of the best amateur and professional bodybuilders advice and taken note to their experiance.

Keep working at that peck deck lol :D ;)

15. Ad McG

I just want to make sure we are clear on this.

Cuts and striations are down to a combination of having large muscles and low body fat, not doing certain exercises.

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

the coaching comment was for blessed samuari not you, and you do what works for YOU and i'll stick with what works for me, your info isn't golden rule and neither is mine

17. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

so you ca'nt shape a muscle at all?

18. Ad McG

The only real manipulation you can have like this is on a muscle that has more than one head eg. pectorals. You can to an extent stress the upper more than the lower pectorals because they are different heads but even then they will only grow slightly different. You can't just do decline presses and expect a nice set of breasts. Inner and outer you can't really do anything about. Same goes for "upper" and "lower" abdominals and various other myths like the "peak" of a bicep. There is no such thing as shaping, there is either growth or there isn't. No amount of tricep kickbacks will make a muscle more "detailed."

It's a common myth that has held the test of time because of localised soreness that people feel, not because of actual results.

19. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

so you can shape it just to the extent of you predetermined genetics

20. Ad McG

Basically yes. No matter how hard you try, you won't suddenly fill the middle of your chest if your pec origin is wide on the sternum.