Weight differences?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Apr 6, 2007.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Howdy!

I am just curious to find out if doing bench presses or other free weights, i.e with dumbells is harder, easier or no different than using machines such as lat pull down bars?

I'd assume bench presses and what not would be harder as you have to work to make sure you are balanced correctly etc opposed to sitting in a chair and leaning back and lifting a contraption with your legs etc.

Any thoughts?

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Thats right.

I never use machines, waste of time.

because you are moving independently with free weights, it uses your stabilizing muscles and also you have a much wider range of movement suited to you and not a machine.

Im sure the other fitness freaks will be along to explain it better soon though ;)

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

dumbells give you the best ranges of motion but machines can be incorparated in to a workout for those that have certain restrictions ie previous injuries, . machines help to isolate a muscle/muscle group by keeping the range in a certain slot, but it really is a personal preference and what your training for

4. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Come on Hiroji...

Don't be so down on machines Bro.....I think they are both important...I love cable press down for Tricepts...and I love the Peck - Deck on the machine...I also like the cable lift for shoulders.

Kew-Do

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I dont mean they are totally useless, i just mean that when i was lifting i always found that i only got real improvements from free weights.

I did however start to use the new multi cable machine that was good. ;)

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

cables are good for arm and back work, gotta love pressdowns H

7. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Followup question,

My mate at Uni claims he uses up to 60kg of weights, using machines. Now i tried benchpressing 60 kg and finally realised why ya need a spotter. I managed one rep.

I'm curious to find the difference as my mate is a gaming geek of 19 years and certainly isn't built but has started going to the gym in the last 2 months. I'm curious who is stronger, i wanted an arm wrestling match as a "so-so" theory but he won't do it and i don't have access to a gym tot ry 60kg for myself!

^^

Any thoughts on that?

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

The key thing with a machine is tat it is the machine stabilizing it, not your body, meaning that in terms of practical training you aren't getting as much benefit.

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

First time I ever went into a gym I think I could use 60kg on a few machines. They are a pretty poor indicator.

10. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

After a few weeks, even the skinniest weakling could use the max weight on the pec deck etc. Unless you have some sort of injury, stick to the free weights.

If you guys are soo intent on seeing who the biggest bad ass is, just flop your dongs out and see who is bigger. :rolleyes:

11. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Unless they use my Peck Deck...it goes up to 200 lbs. As far as the "Dong" thing is concerned....I've never had a complaint, thank you for asking though...

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

The pec-dec is one of the worst machines in any gym ever, complete destroyer of shoulders. Avoid it like the plague.

13. NaughtyKnight

I hear you mate. The Pec deck is perhaps the most useless exercise there is.

Dips with 40kgs tied to you FTW!

14. NaughtyKnight

LMAO!

While I wasnt talking to you, thanks for sharing mate :p.

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I can do 25kg dips and my weighted pullups are 15kg is that about right.

16. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I think its about right when you get do pull ups and dips w/ 100kg+ on you. You're getting there ;).

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Not many can do that I imagine. Nah i think no one has done a pull up with 100kg. A pullup + bodyweight a few people can do but a 200lb guy with an extra 200lbs :eek:

18. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

Although i agree with most of what has been said, free weights are better in general as you have to use supporting muscles etc etc.

However, machines do have one advantage in certain circumstances. They ensure you have resistance over the full range of motion of the movement.
    For instance, doing chest flys with dumbells, the last 45 degrees is easier than the first because of the position of your arms. A fly machine ensures full resistance the whole movement. So it can be good to mix and match free weight and machines, but on the whole, I find free weights are better.

19. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Not true...If perfromed properly, as though you are hugging a tree, it forms the Pectoralis Major very well. It is when people grab the machine and push in with their elbows that it is not good for the shoulders causing Myopathology.

Kew-Do

20. NaughtyKnight

Pec Decks put your shoulders in an unnatural position. If you absolutly, positivily HAVE to destroy your shoulders, except no substitutes.

Why use a vastly less superior exercise, when there are MANY much better ones?