Weidman v Machida Results Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Southpaw535, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

We had another night of wonderful ufc action last night so let's get some thoughts from people :)

I won't go through every fight but here's mine:

Caceres v Faber

This was a great fight for Caceres really: A win would have been huge, a loss would of been unsurprising. And my big feeling coming away from that fight was how impressed I've been with Bruce Leeroy his last few fights. He had some moments and I'm never going to dog someone who somersaults out of a takedown. Very nice choke by Faber though. His back takes and RNC finishes are beautiful to watch.

I'm not sure where Faber goes now though? He's working his way back up but will he fight Dillashaw if offered the title?

Rousey v Davis

I think the easiest way for me to explain this is that if I got a ufc title shot tomorrow I would be fighting Jose Aldo, a man widely regarded as one of the absolute top P4P fighters of all time. I would gladly take that over having to fight Rousey. I'm also very interested in how her last two fights now have been finished by strikes and I'm curious if she's making a point that she's not just a one trick pony. Absolutely beautiful throw and the ground and pound to finish was brutal. We always knew Rousey had power in her throws but the power she showed in her hands there was impressive. Well, when I wasn't watching her...bounciness...during the replay.

I felt bad for Davis though. Fighting Rousey is an almost guaranteed loss anyway (a -1000 favourite?) and she didn't really get a chance

Weidman v Machida

This was a good fight. When it comes to talking about it though I don't know who to blame for Machida losing. Weidman did a nice job pressuring him and not being as hesitant and respectful as Machida's other opponents, but in the championship rounds Machida really started coming back and its been a criticism that's followed him his entire UFC career that he's too laid back. In the 4th especially he pushed on being the aggressor and had a good round because of it.

That being said, Weidman did great. And he's come out with a bunch of excuses about what terrible shape he was in for that fight too. He seems to be locking up the MW champion ship quite nicely and honestly Machida was my pick for the guy to dethrone him. There's some good guys waiting in the wings at 185 and with Silva gone I was hoping for a more exciting weight class but we'll see how that goes.

Nice takedowns from Weidman too and I think he's the first person I've seen effectively counter Lyoto's body knee.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Roussey vs Davis
    That was a thing of beauty to watch. Roussey is a perfect example of both the martial AND the ART of martial arts. Her transitions from the punch to the knee to the beautiful Judo throw- just awesome!

Hall vs Santos

While it was most impressive to watch Hall fight through that gruesome injury, that fight SHOULD have been stopped by the Doctors. It was a joke that it wasn't. Bone was sticking out!

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Fighters fight with broken hands all the time. His movement was clearly fine, on what grounds would you stop the fight? I break that very toe 2-3 times a year (although not as disgustingly as Hall), but I don't beg off training because of it. It hurts like a son of a bitch, but that's all.

Rousey - Davis

Well, yeah. I did enjoy seeing someone get finished in kesa gatame though.

Weidman - Machida

Kind of confirmed that Weidman isn't as good as some people think he is and that the Silva victories flattered him. Machida is a few years past his best and Weidman struggled. I think Belfort would mess him up, so it's a shame that fight is never going to happen. Middleweight is a weak division at the moment - when did that happen?

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Rousey is a beast, love her style, still don't like her.

Hall performed beautifully, if he keep that up he'll be getting along nicely in his career.

didn't watch Weidman/Machida. Although many people have basically said that this proves Weidman wasn't a fluke, and LOADS of people put their money on Machida to win. I had a fiver on Weidman. I think that his fundamentals are flawless, and that can make him very "vanilla" when it comes to fighting. He doesn't have the wow factor in the same way Silva did, and people have to remember that he's following in the footsteps of one of the greatest of all time in MMA. It's going to be an extremely tough career to beat.

5. holyheadjch

They must have watched a different fight to me. A more decisive fighter than Machida would have put Weidman away in the 4th.

6. Southpaw535

I agree with Holy. Machida lost that fight more than Weidman won it

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

they said the same thing about Silva, twice! Perhaps just the way he makes fighters look?

8. holyheadjch

After that fight with Machida, I know that Silva is capable of destroying him. Anderson was watching that fight back in Brazil with his head in his hands: "I let that chump knock me out? The hell was I doing?".

He cuts too much weight and his gas tank is done after 3 rounds. He has a decent chin, but he gets stunned. He has good takedowns, but Machida stuffed a lot of them and he didn't look that dangerous on top - not like a Sonnen anyway.

There are going to be some top 10 light heavyweights eyeing their bathroom scales after that one, I guarantee it.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Not much to say about Rowdy's fight. Boom. Done. Sorted. Staring at the slo mo replay of her GnP.
    I really do want to hear what DW said tho at the post fight interview re: Rhonda doing a quick turn around.

Joe looked like he had a telling off.

Weidman finally gets his "clean win". Though I agree with the above, Machida should've taken it but didn't seem to be there. He shows what Weidman's weaknesses are, however also got to remember... Weidman is only 12 fights in and is 30 years old. As not a great fan of Weidman he is still learning and evolving.

Whose next for both Rowdy and Wideman then?

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Can't wait to see reruns of the fight so it isn't spoiled for me!

11. aaradia

Ronda isn't doing a quick turnaround. In addition to the light knee surgery, she had a cyst pop open in that fight. 9 stitches. Will have to have a Dr check it out and clean up any remaining cyst and then have the stitches fully heal. Right on the knuckle. Bad spot for a fighter.

DW said in the presser that he was mad at the people on the truck. I assume some production truck? But not Rogan. The people who fed that line to Rogan.

I think people underestimate Weidman. It was his first five rounder. His gas tank could get better. Machida is used to championship rounds. Machida is quite capable of koing somone, but didn't. Give Weidman credit for outlasting that flurry.

No, I am not convinced he will have a reign like GSP or Silva, but I think people underestimate him. He beat Silva twice-TWICE. No, I don't think Silva would win a third fight. Weidman has his number. Maybe age has caught up with Silva, I dunno.

/

12. aaradia

The bone sticking out is the key issue to me.

When has a fighter fought with a broken hand with a bone sticking out of it? I think moving around and putting pressure on that toe might have caused more damage and he risked infection. With the nasty resistant infections running around nowadays, that is nothing to ignore.

Have you trained with bone sticking out of your skin?

BTW, just how do you keep breaking the same toe so often?

13. aaradia

Faber vs Leroy
    I think it was just too huge of a step up in competition for Caceres. I think he did as well as could be expected. Lasted pretty long. Next fight shoulcd still be a step up from previous fights, but not quite Faber's level!That was just too steep of a jump up for him.

I look forward to watching Caceres career and seeing how far he can take it. And I like Faber a lot, although he was a bit whiny in TUF breaking down his losses with Cruz.

It was ridiculous that that was not on the main card. The Hall vs Santos fight should have been in the prelims, not Faber Leroy.

I would call myself a fan of both fighters.

14. holyheadjch

Fighters are cut all the time - whether the skin is broken by an elbow or a fractured toe, the risk of infection is the same. I think that if it was wobbling around on his foot, the fight would probably have been stopped, but it seemed to be badly broken, but still all in one piece. The doctor is there to stop a fight when there is a real risk to the fighter's health. A broken toe is not a real risk to a fighter's health.

I broke it once, it didn't heal straight, so now it's weaker and in a position where I catch it more often.

15. holyheadjch

You have to remember that the prelims are a separate show to the PPV. The UFC need people to watch both shows. PPV prelims are basically a UFC Fight Night and they need a main event.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think it just showed everything that's frustrating about Machida. Jones and Couture are the only people I can remember him showing up for the first round. Indeed he only seemed to wake up after he got cut in the third.
    I think Rousey's performance is clear evidence that she's a one trick pony with bad boxing and weak punches ;)

17. Southpaw535

Did Rousey wobble Davis with that overhand? She threw the knee and clinched immediately so I couldn't tell if Rogan was overstating or not

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The punch definitely put her on flat feet which set up what came after.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think that was the main thing that wobbled her. Everything thereafter was adding to the wobble to the point where she had no clue what was going on. :)
    To me that was pretty much perfect MMA from Rousey. Striking with all four limbs, seamless transition through ranges and phases, control of distance and killer instinct. Punch, knee, throw, control, finish. MMA in a nutshell.

I'm sad Machida lost. To me Weidman looks awkward and a bit clumsy. He's obviously effective with what he does but Machida's technique is on another level, even though he lost. And I think Machida came very close. I thought in the 4th and 5th he might take it with a TKO but Weidman weathered it and landed a great takedown to stall Machida's striking.

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In regards to Uriah Hall, I personally thought he lost that fight.
    Props to him fighting with that mangled toe and stuff and the fight stats show it was very close (to Hall) but I think he lost it.

I've yet to watch the event again tho. But thats probably why Im not a MMA judge :p