wear glasses and wear on head gear

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by matbla, Mar 5, 2005.

1. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

if you wear glasses do you use sport goggles like rec specs
    and if you wear head gear do you wear a cage or face mask over the
    head gear for sparring
    if so
    1)what sport goggles do you use
    2)what cage or face mask for head gear do you use for sparring
    from matt blake ;) :love: :) :cool: :Angel:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  2. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I wear contact lenses and a full contact head guard, the type with high cheek pads to give better protection to the eye's, I have had my contacts knocked out so many times, a real pain in the ................

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Im lucky not to need glasses, but I use the same kind of headgear you have on there matbla. Just enough to protect the vital areas, but not enough to get in the way. Tho when I spar I normally lose that in the first couple seconds to someone grabbing my head and twisting. :D

4. Nyx

Nyx Valued Member

I just take them of if i need to.

5. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Sparring was what convinced me to finally get contact lenses.

6. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I'm a contact convert myself have found they make a big difference.

7. batfink

batfink Valued Member

Well I am quite shortsighted, but as my sensei pointed out, your balance changes slightly between wearing glasses or not. When I used to wear contacts (can't anymore) for the 1st day or so after switching to specs or vice versa after a long period of using one or the other, my co-ordination and balance would be a little out. As a result, I train both with them on and off, if/when it all goes wrong for me and kicks off for real, I may get the chance to remove my specs, but I may not. It does change the dynamic slightly, since unless its very close range, I can't read people's eyes (I usually read head/shoulders anyway), but then I can't be intimidated by a psycho-type look either.

8. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

thank you for your reply
    if any one has a special head gear they
    use because of wearing head gear let me know
    from matt blake

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I am 99% certain my headgear is made by Kwon. It has a full face cage. Why? (A) We all have to wear them at my kwoon, and (b) I wear Rec Specs. I decided to get sports goggles because I was having problems sparring because of my double vision. Without my glasses, it kills my depth perception. At the face cage saves the specs from getting wrecked. I would never, no offense, wear what's shown above at my school because we use knees, elbows, throws, tiger claws, eagle claws, etc in sparring, and that piece would be utterly uselss where I train.

10. JAMJTX

JAMJTX Valued Member

rec specs

I wear rec specs. But I don't spar or wear headgear because I do Aikido and Jujitsu.
    But I do have to take them off for ne waza and any kind of grappling

11. matbla

matbla Banned Banned

thank you

thank you all
    for your replys
    keep up the good work
    from matt blake

12. Pineapple Man

Pineapple Man New Member

what are rec specs?

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

A brand of sports goggles

14. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

The head gaurd above is a freestyle headgaurd designed for points fighting and not for Full contact or light Contact. If anyones eyesight is so bad that they require glasses then a full contact type gaurd should always be worn I'd suggest you think hard about the head gaurd Matbia.

I use a boxers headgaurd when I spar, I used to use the one with the high sides and grill front however it reduced my periferal vision so much that a student only needed to step of to the side slightly and they'd disapear.:cool:

I would suggest sports contact lences as well for added safety if you aint wearing a headgaurd with a grill. :cool:

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  15. ttamgirl

ttamgirl New Member

I take off my glasses to spar.

I know a few people who wear their glasses while sparing. the new flexi fraimes work great for them.

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I am very short-sighted, but I still take my specs off for sparring.

I tried contact lenses, but they started hurting my eyes (I was mainly wearing the lenses for sparring) so I went back to specs and taking them off for sparring, sanbon-gumite and some parts of warm-up.

17. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I'm quite short sighted, but I wear contact lenses every day for about 14 hours. I need them for college etc, but I dont like wearing glasses. So naturally I just leave my lenses in for sparring. I wear this headgear:
    http://www.macho.com/products.jhtml...&subcategory.id=3&category.id=1&product.id=36
    It doesnt really offer any extra protection than standard, and I've never had any lenses knocked out, I guess I just dont get hit in the head that much! :p

18. ember

ember Valued Member

I go back and forth between glasses and contacts now. When I started I didn't have contacts.

When wearing glasses, I take them off for sparring and advanced falling techniques. My headgear's the regular kind, no face shield.

19. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

I wound up investing in rec specs as I was blind without my glasses and just plain couldn't see well enough to track what my opponent was doing. I wear them under a fairly standard foam dipped helmet.

20. Scarmiglione

Scarmiglione Valued Member

I sparred/trained with this one guy who always told me he was gonna get contacts. But none of us wear any kind of prot. aside from knuckle pads and crotch guards. So he figgered he could play with us and wear his glasses, taking full advantage of the fact that I would never hit him in the fACE, and i hounded him after every class. "Oh don't worry im gonna get some headgear, or some contacts for next class" 6 months! 6 months of this crap! finally one day he blitz-ed me head on knowing i wouldn't hit him in the face, i had enough of his taking advantage of my kindness. WHAMMY right on the bridge of his nose, broke his glasses to bits. Next class he came in with a shiner and a brand new set of contacts and said "i like these things i shoulda switched sooner..." I coulda punched him again