Weapons...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Alec_28064212, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005
  2. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

One of my friends who trains heavily in Kali carries one round in her purse. She also carries a balisong, and she's 22 and works in investment.

I wouldn't carry one though. If it comes down to it, I can grab something from somewhere to hit somebody with. Besides, if the cops found me with a utility knife, they'd try to put me away for life.

3. Slavist

Slavist New Member

I carry an empty Ak-74 with a fixed bayonet.

4. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

Ummm... okay if you had bothered to read my post carefully enough you would realize that I explained how the extendo is a last resort thing and I would only use it only after physical conflict was imminent (don't give me the "every fight is preventable" beep) and only if I was out-numbered or my opponent had a weapon as well. Go fight someone who has a knife while you are empty handed and see just how much you wish you had some sort of a weapon of your own. Also, saying that disarming a weapon is extremely easy is rediculous. I really want to see how the hell you're going to disarm a persons knife so easily while they are slashing and stabbing you as fast and hard as they possibly can with no other intention except seeing you six feet under! Especially if you're dealing with someone who knows how to actually use one. If you really think it's that easy then that just shows how much you know. :rolleyes:

Geez! How the hell can someone misinterperet my post so much!? You think it's wrong to have something that could potentially save your life in a situation where your life is definitely threatened? And for your information I have done plenty of kickboxing, grappling, STICK AND KNIFE FIGHTING, empty hand stick and knife defense, trapping and clinching. But I have nothing to prove, regardless of how good you are (whether you are Bruce Lee or a champion UFC fighter) you can always beep or there will always be someone better then you. Luck plays a huge role in any fight. The difference between empty hand vs. empty hand fighting and empty hand vs. weapon fighting is that if you beep while fighting someone with a weapon you may recieve much more then just a knock out! With a weapon in your hands as well, you have more of a fair advantage, and yes you can still lose, but at least you are potentially safer and have an equilizer.

I'm 18 and I don't live in a very good area. I've had to deal with conflicts where weapons were involved before. I stay away from trouble as much as I possibly can nowadays and always try to avoid any conflicts. But there are a lot of beep out there. And even if you've never been in a situation like that doesn't mean it can't happen. It's like saying you'll never get hit by a car because you never have before.

As for the whole law issue, I've said it once and I'll say it again: It's better to be tried by twelve then carried by six. If you're dealing with someone who has a weapon (or even any serious fight in general) legallities will be the last thing on your mind. After all, YOU'RE TRYING TO STAY ALIVE FOR GOD'S SAKE!

If you wind up in a situation where your opponent has a weapon, your attitude is going to get you killed. Even if I didn't have a weapon on me but there was something near me (perhaps a brick) that I could use when my opponent pulled out a knife, I wouldn't hesitate to use it, and if the sh!t hit the fan with you, I doubt you would either. However, if I could, I would just run away or at least try to talk my way out of it, which once again proves I'm not some insecure loser walking around bullying people with my deadly baton. I would rather use my fists anyday, once again only if I HAVE TO (I know I'm repeating myself but saying it once in my first post was obviously not enough for you), but if my opponent has a weapon and I don't have to just use my fists, and know I am at a disadvantage if I do then why should I? Once again, this is SELF-PRESERVATION! Not honor, or legallities, or a test of empty-handed skill.

This whole post also goes towards the numerous other people that flamed me to death after my original post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2005
  5. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

So why are they so bad? At least in the hands of someone who knows how to use it (i.e. FMA).

6. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Where in Toronto do you live Alec?

Perhaps you are a little paranoid, unless you need to walk through Jane and Finch or downtown everyday. Maybe I could see an extendo in downtown Toronto to fend of hobos and whatnot, even though you could probably beat a hobo with your hands, they have little energy (and I don't mean to be offensive, I've been confronted by one before, luckily I walked away quick enough for him to get physical.).

Either way, carrying a melee weapon kinda sucks, and may make your problems much greater if confronted.

7. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

I live in Scarborough (not exactly the best neighborhood don't you think?). I used to live in Jane and Finch. And I go downtown at night often sometimes.

So what greater problems would arise from carrying a melee weapon? Aside from the legal issues, which I've already talked about in my previous post.

8. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Sight of it could provoke someone to attack you with their weapon, lets say a mugger. Another problem is that if someone already has their weapon drawn, be it a knife or gun or bat, you'll have to either escape or use your hands anyway (or die), because pulling your weapon out takes too long at that point.
    Attacks are often planned so that you don't see it coming, I would say you'd have little chance of defending yourself with an extendo if the assailant meant business. I have seen a kid go for his extendo and get his ass kicked by an unarmed opponent before, extendo's are quite common here because all the kids think they are tough and cool if they own one.

9. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Im an adult, and your age has nothing to do with your carrying say a knife. The fact is i can kill you very quickly with a knife, much quicker than without one. If i had a handgun, i would carry that, bullets hurt more than fists. You can have a big ego and say that someone who carries isnt a good enough martial-artist, but its more a question of intelligence and survival than your martial-arts skill. Im perfectly confident in fighting even multiple opponents while unarmed on the street, but that doesnt mean its a better choice to take the chance if pulling a knife, will bring up my chances of winning that much more.

10. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

I wouldn't draw it first. If I believe my opponent has a weapon (call it instinct if you will, I always assume the worst anyway), I do my damned best to stand outside of kicking range when any conflict arises, if someone starts moving too close to me I will attack, I'm not gonna risk getting shanked or sucker punched. I know I will get flamed for this but: I do not wait for my opponent to attack first. If I feel my safety is being compromised, I attack! You've seen a kid get his ass kicked while using an extendo? Okay, so that means extendo's are useless right?

11. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Maybe, but what if they come up behind you or act naturally walking beside you, then attack? You would attack someone for approaching you? They may act like someone who means no harm until they are in striking distance. You can't always see it coming and you can't always get your weapon out and attack before they do, even if you do see it coming in some cases. This is why I feel melee weapons are close to useless for sd unless you actually know you will be attacked, know you will be fighting, or can manage to get it out before you are hit. And I doubt you'll be flamed for your comment, a pre-emptive strike (or running of course) is often the best way to end a potential fight/attack. My point about the fight with the extendo was simply to say that particular weapon can be tricky to pull from where ever you are holding it, and from there you still have to extend the baton; not bad, but not the best sd weapon.

Also, some people are saying they would just pick something up and use it, rather than carrying a weapon. Not something I would rely on.

12. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Actually there is no excuse for carrying a weapon and im very sorry but he sounds like a child when he is talking about carrying a weapon i thought this forum was for grown ups.

13. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Well actually this is a family forum and not just adults come here. And im sorry, when did weapons become a childrens toy? No, im old enough to decide if i want to carry something with me, and theres nothing childish about that. Im not a punk with a bandanna on his head walking around with an unregistered pistol listening to gangster rap because i want to look cool and be tough, sorry, that may be childish and stupid, but my carrying a small knife on me at times for protection has nothing childish about it.

14. moononthewater

I would suggest you take a look at the profiles of all those who think its clever to carry a weapon. You will find you included are teenagers and the minute you walk out of your door with a weapon in the back of your mind there is a chance you will use it.That means you could kill some one. Are we at war are you in uniform i suspect not. I dont think you sound grown up at all carrying a weapon is not clever and i regard it as childish.

15. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

The thought that i might kill someone whenever i walk out the door is always on the back of my mind, with or without a weapon, Im a walking weapon and as ive said, dont need anything else, and dont usually carry anything else.. But if i do, theres nothing childish about it, my intentions are not to purposely carry it so i can look for a fight and hurt someone with it. Im not even going to bother with looking at profiles, i dont care who else carries and what age they are, its none of my concern, im talking about myself noone else.

16. moononthewater

I would suggest you copy what you have written and read it back to your self in a few years time and ask your self if your attitude has changed. You dont have to read the profiles just take my word that all those who think the same as you are teenagers think about it and ask your self what that tells you.

17. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Well its no trouble to copy it and re-read a few years from now, so ill do that, and then let you know.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  18. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

LOL
    OMG

some of the "adults" need to chill out.
    There is nothing childish about carrying a lethal weapon. Granted the biggest knife I carry now is technically called a gentlmans knife, ie its small somethign like an inch and half. I used to carry larger knives but I had an incident recently that changed my veiw on knives. And beside I drive every now so im encased in a full sized pick up truck. No worries about being mugged.

But saying that some one is childish for carrying a weapon is childish. You cnat always depend on the people in blue to save your butt. And if a lethal weapon comes out you should be prepared to ,hopefully, run or to met their force with a suitable level of force from yourself. Ive always carried knives, mostly as tools. I started learning to knife fight because I always had one on me and it would be foolish not to know how to use what im carrying.

And jsut for the record. Im 20 and I study a martial that is heavily focused on archaic weapons. I also used to ahve acess to fireamrs and own several large bladed weapons, all of which I could carry legally. But I dont. I dont feel the need to ahve 3 feet of steel haning at my waist. But im not going to codemn others for feeling the need to carrying larger more lethal weapons. Not every one lives in the "civilized" world. In fact in South Africa, after there wasa wide sperad collection and banning of fireamrs, most law abiding citizens started carrying spears, swords and other archaic weapons to defend agsint the criminals armed with fire arms.

The way I see it. If you think its chilish and stupid to carry that measn you afraid of weapons. Not that I hava problem with someone elses fear, jsut solong as they dont feel the need to start telling me what I can or cannot do because they are afraid of it.

19. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

I agree with what you are saying about the unknown. But hey, if someone is trying to mug you or whatever and starts moving close to you, I don't believe anyone will be thinking he wants to give you a hug. If the person just does it randomly (for whatever reason) and seems utterly casual and non-violent about it, and you don't expect it at all, then you are screwed regardless if you've been training for 500 years or are carrying a lightsaber. Conflicts however, usually starts with obvious agression. For example, someone will be throwing insults at you and looking genuinly angry. In which case expecting him to pat you on the shoulder when he starts comming closer is utter stupidity. And btw, it really does not take that much time to whip out an extendo, you can easily do it as you are taking it out of your pocket (or wherever) and even hit the guy with it as it extends.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  20. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

Hmmm... so protecting your very life is not an excuse eh? :rolleyes:

Grown ups? So anyone who is "grown up" doesn't use weapons and is mature enough not to fight in the first place? :rolleyes:

Geez, you should wake up and smell reality!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.