Weapons...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Alec_28064212, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alec_28064212

Alec_28064212 New Member

I'm posting this here and not in the "Weapons" forum because it does not have to do with training and I feel it's more of a general topic. If there is a MOD that feels I am wrong feel free to move this post :) .

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you own and/or carry around a weapon. By that I mean a melee weapon such as a knife, I'm not talking about firearms here.

I have recently been givin an extendable baton (or extendo). If you are unfamiliar with this it is basically an extendable, metal stick. It starts off as just a handle with a hole in one side containing the rest. With that hole facing forward you can whip it out a number of ways. Two columnns of metal come out and lock (with a lovely round ball at the end). And you have yourself a nice tool to beat people senseless with :D .

Though I own this deadly weapon, I in no way condone it's use. In fact, if I am carrying it on me (which I sometimes do and don't) I have it as a purely last resort thing. I would rather use my fists any day. However, if I am dealing with more then one opponent or an opponent who has a weapon of his own (keeping in mind I've already tried to stop the conflict without violence) I won't hesitate to whip it out. Fortunately I have not needed to use it yet. I also feel it's better then a knife because at least there is much less of a chance in killing the person, provided you don't continue beating him to death after either neutralizing him or completely knocking him out.

What are your thoughts and opinions? Do any of you own a melee weapon? Have you ever had to use it? Do you think it's a good or bad idea?

2. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I carry alot of melee weapons in my car, i have a baseball bat, a can of pepper spray, a pool stick, a hammer, a big piece of wood, pocket knives, a chain.. alot of it isnt carried so i can hit people with it, but i still could if need be, lol.

I used to carry two good size pocket knives on my belt when i would be out on foot, i dont really carry anything on me currently though, just whats in my car. Ive never been in a fight when i was armed either, so ive never had to use any of them, or should i say ive never gotten the chance too.

I dont carry any on me anymore, cause im confident protecting myself without one, and im sure if i had a knife on me when someone attacked, i would use the knife immediately, thats just my instinct, so not carrying one will hopefully leave me with less dead bodies to have to worry about after a fight. Of course a fist or a foot could kill a man to, hands and feet are connected to you, cant do anything about that, and theres obviously a smaller chance of killing with them than putting a blade into someone. I dont live in a very dangerous town, so its not a huge concern, there are some very bad places not far from here though, and i would carry something with me if im going there cause id rather knife someone than get knifed.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Theres more than a few threads on this topic in the Weapons forum ;) :Angel:

4. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

I would be interested if any adults carry these silly weapons around with them in normal life or if its only teenagers ?

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I carry a folding knife (known in the knife world as a 'combat folder').

But it's got little to do with self protection or getting into a scrap. On location photography shoots there are always things rigged up/taped down with gaffer tape. Knife solves the problem quite easy. It's got to be handy so it goes it clips in the pocket instead of getting chucked in the tool bag.

The only time that I got into some kind of confrontation was when some knuckle head grabbed a spare camera body and managed to make off with while lights were being adjusted and my assistant was not paying attention.

Someone else had seen the kid making off with it. I'd seen the kid around the pub and we recognized each other.. making his cheap shot theft all the more irritating. It's a small world and I knew I'd catch up with him later towards the weekend. People are creatures of habit and knew he'd be in one of the clubs/pubs where I'd seen him before.

Finishing a shoot we headed down to have a few drinks... I saw him at the bar with his mates... I turned to my mates and handed one of them my knife.

If I ended up pounding this loser - the last thing I need on me when the police show up is a folding knife. The night went on and I played it cool like I didn't know it was him... when I did grab him on the way out - he almost jumped out of his skin...

Long story short -
    I got my gear back plus a 'rental' fee from this ass. What friggin' low life idiot this guy was. I didn't need a knife to do it. I didn't need a knife to deal with him or his mates. If I had... then I don't need to be putting myself in situations like that. I can sort my shizznizz without having to resort to a knife.

When was the last time you actually got in a 'melee'.?!?! lol.

Carrying around a folding baton sounds silly to me. :D

I'd drop the gear and spend your time learning how to sort things out without one. It don't take much to get a weapon like that away from someone. The numbers of people that have had their own knives taken away from them and stabbed with them is crazy. The same could easily go for a telescopic baton. Baseball bats are classic for this.

It presents you with the opportunity for more trouble than it does for solutions to your initial problem. You'd better have some cash saved for a lawyer who's versed in the finer points of assaults with weapons. The law has a funny way of turning upside down and before you know it your the one getting hauled down on a weapons charge.

Plus you look a right fool if someone challenged you to a bit of a punch up and you broke out a telescoping baton... you'd get laughed off the block. :D

I suggest you learn some basic boxing and some basic low kicks. Build up your self esteem and your observation skills and not your arsenal.

How old are you and how are you rollin' that you have to be so worried about whippin' out a steel baton on somebody?!?
    :eek:

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

No, i only used to carry one when i was a stupid immature child with no brains!!! :bang:

7. moononthewater

Thats what i thought Biscuit im glad its not just me. Though slipthejab seems to be in our corner aswell :)

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I used to carry, and wouldnt have hesitated in using it....til I learned how to use my hands. Now I prefer not to carry, unless I have to go somewhere strange on my own, like a trip to a strange part of a city I dont know.

9. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Did you stop carrying it by say the age of 20 perhaps? this seems to be the age that most people mature, obviously if your under that age your still a knuckle head and need a weapon "cus your ard"!!!

Why be a martial artist and carry a knife? because your crap at you art maybe? not you silat but the first girl on here!!

10. spikeg

spikeg New Member

carrying an ASP (extendable baton) is probably the most stupid thing, im sure they are classed as legal weapons.... Anyway if someone pulled one on me id make sure he left with it between his legs ^^

11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I love this comment, this to me really says:

" i carry a baton with me, though i would never use is i carry it in my pocket, i would never use it though, unless i am walking down a street and get punched by that guy then pow i will pull it out of my pocket and smash him over the head because i lack self control and because its in my pocket i will use it, i am scarred and its available so lets use it and get the fight over quick as i really dont know what point the last resort is because i hav eno self control!!" :D

12. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

The legal issue has been touched on but I would imagine that in the eyes of the law if you've had the time/opportunity to deploy a weapon :woo: be it a folder or baton then you've had the time/opportunity to make an escape.......not always the case maybe but as slipthejab said the law can have a funny way of turning on you :eek: :eek:

Oh also there's the whole problem of you walking round with a weapon on you you'd probably be seen as looking for trouble :eek:

ps Greg I'm surprised you didn't jump on the "Whip it out" comment :D

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  13. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I carry a brain with me all the time, this saves me from needing to use other weapons usualy.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I own a number of melee weapons. However, as I am over the age of 20, I have the common sense not to carry them around. Oh, and I also know that 99% of what the people have listed here are also illegal in my state.

15. Sgt_Major

:eek:

20 it was indeed! ;)

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

SilatPupil you wouldn't need a knife if you've got that Red eyed dog with you :eek: :eek:

17. moononthewater

is that a dog i thought it was a hamster packing a sharp implament........

18. Sgt_Major

Its a dog with a syringe in its bared teeth!

lol. Your right tho' Id just have to show them the dog and they would flee!

19. Sgt_Major

for reference, this was my avatar [​IMG] .....

cos Im about to change it as most people cant figure out what it is...... :rolleyes: :p

My new one suits nicely too :D

20. Pacer_3

Pacer_3 New Member

I sometimes carry a pocket knife, but it is a tool, not a weapon. I used to think those batons were the best, but then I turned 11 and grew up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.