Weapons of martial arts

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Santa Barbara, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara Valued Member

What is the purpose of learning how to use a weapon (sticks, throwing knives, swords, etc.)? Who carries a big stick, a sword or similar weapon for their protection?

The obvious choice of weapons is a hand gun, but you cant learn to use it in a dojo.

Why do people still learn this crap that is completely useless? Is it just for show or do some really believe in it? If Im that afraid for my safety, I'd get a dog to protect me. I certainly would not want to bring a stick or knife to a gun fight. I guess the dog would do me no good under these circumstances either. Just a thought.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Is this a serious question?

Go to an eskrima class, learn the overlap that you get between the stick, knife and the empty hand and come back with your findings.

3. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Do all people who commit crimes do so with a gun? Would the knowledge of being able to use unorthodox weapons come in handy if you ever faced something you never thought someone would try to use on you? Are all people comfortable with carrying a gun and, depending on where they live, would they be encouraged or allowed to do so?

The answer is obvious: Pokemon. :hat:

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do all people who train in an MA do so for self defence?

Do all MA have specific relevance for self defence ?

Might be wise to educate yourself before starting a thread and coming out with stuff like "Why do people still learn this crap that is completely useless?"

Some weapons training can have direct relevance for SD and others not so much. Obviously we aren't walking around with swords but even those systems that are seen as out of date have a great deal to offer with regards to transferable skills, attributes and mindset.

Want self defence? Well of course you aren't going to go to a Kenjutsu dojo but that doesn't mean that if you do train in such an art that you won't find areas of it that crossover into other areas in your life.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. Santa Barbara

How much practice does it take to stab someone with a knife, slash them with a machete or bang them in the head with a baseball bat? No exactly weapons of martial arts, yet very effective and much more accessable, plus you dont have to pay anyone to learn how to use them.

6. Dean Winchester

And just how do those responses fit in within the range of self defence situations you might find yourself in?

You think a knife isn't an MA weapon? Or there aren't systems that train with machete like implements?

How much practice do you think you need to do what you say above against another person trying to do the same to you?

Your point is what exactly? Because you seem a little confused about a few things.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  7. Simon

It takes no practice to hit someone with a baseball bat, but how much more effective could you be with training?
    I could give you one of my eskrima stick and have you swing it about, but without training in angles, footwork, body mechanics, sparring etc you are just a cavman swinging a stick.
    Does your caveman have an entry set, disarm set (at various ranges), a locking set and so on.

It takes no practice to stick a knife in someone, but knife defence gives you an appreciation of a bladed weapon.

Also you said a baseball bat is accessible and it takes no instruction. Why do you train then? Surely you can punch, kick and wrestle to a degree.

8. Osu,

Impossible to fill a cup that's full... :(:(

Osu1

9. Santa Barbara

Im saying that why a kendo stick instead of a baseball bat or golf club, a throwing knife instead of a rock or brick, or samurai sword instead of a machete? Regardless of which weapon you decide to use, it will become useless as soon as a handgun appears.

10. Simon

Why learn weapons?

Watch the first 20 seconds of this video. It is what we call a figure x, because the stick draws a figure x shape.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TtP4x-sRew"]YouTube - ‪Dan Inosanto FMA Vol. 1 part 1‬‏[/ame]

Now watch this, exactly the same angles of attack, but empty handed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6S0fefYyz8"]YouTube - ‪Eddie Quinn's The Approach Vol 3. Multiple Strikes‬‏[/ame]

11. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

I was trying to think of how to address this best but Simon S beat me to many points. The only points I could add are:
    1) Knowing how a weapon works will help you in terms of defending against it with positioning and knowledge of its Reach
    2) The above attitude regarding a weapon and practice is why we have so much questionable knife defense technique in the TMA that don't teach bladed weapons. If the Instructor doesn't understand the basics of use how will he teach his students applications that aren't lethal?
    3) Some Weapons skills have cross overs to everyday items and applications. Bo and a Billards Cue anyone?

12. Simon

You are wrong, ask a policeman.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9igSoJHEdUo"]Too close - dont underestimate the knife - YouTube[/ame]

13. Santa Barbara

14. Dean Winchester

:rolleyes:

Since when has Kendo been about self defence?

You're working from faulty logic.

Your first post

Seems like you are working under the assumption that everyone trains for self defence and that those who train in every weapon art expects what they do to be relevant for that arena.

I think you need to look at what self defence involves and what the range of arts which incorporate weapons cover and the purpose of the systems.

15. Simon

I'll ask again, why pay then to learn how to punch or kick?

16. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Becareful the same arguement could be used against learning to "hit somebody with a fist"

It about how effective you want to be in defending and applying said technique. I know who I would put my money on if a fight breaks out near a pool table. The guy with experience using a Bo or the guy who just plays softball on the weekend.
    Plus as Dean Said not all weapon arts are about self defense.

Edit: Beaten to the point again by Simon :)

17. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

There are reasons other than self defense for people to take a martial art. FUN is the biggest thing that comes to mind. Then there's sport/competition, philosophy etc. According to your mindset Judo is useless if the other person carries a gun or there are multiple people attacking so why train it?

Also don't bash Kendo it is fun you do end up with a lot of bruises.

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Obvious troll is ........well obvious:rolleyes:

19. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I guess I'm the only guy who picks up a pool cue and starts doing bofuri or some kung fu pattern between my turns :p

Ever see Out For Justice where Seagal puts a pool ball in a handkerchief and starts smashing people in the head with it? If you can use nunchaku without giving yourself a concussion, you can do that. The pool cue getting snapped into two escrima sticks speaks for itself.

And frankly if you have the dexterity to use such thing without killing yourself, that's gonna cross over to everything you do without weapons too, not to mention the confidence, coordination and footwork.

Edit: I had this page open a while before writing my response, feel free to ignore it as I expect it's already been said a bunch of times by now.

20. Simon

It's not just when you have a weapon, there is a crossover between weapons and empty hands, certainly in eskrima. Same footwork, same angles, similar locks and disarms, chokes, takedowns and so on. I only have to put my car keys in my hand to have a weapon anyway. Is the OP also prepared to admit Judo is useless unless the other guy has a jacket on that you can grab hold of? No of course not.

Sorry.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.