Weapons Names

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by acrux, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Makes perfect sense. To a degree that's pretty much my understanding of how we view Kamae in the Bujinkan. Both attitude and posture but not something that is fixed just something that you move through to keep yourself safe and shape and control space.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

The guards in German Longsword are used in the same way. They even look a lot like those in Kenjutsu. Once I started training with a sharp, nicely balanced sword, the transitory nature of the guards became very apparent to me.

Best regards,

-Mark

3. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Koyo said:-
    Erm, what? :bang:

It was a light-hearted attempt at humour seeing as at least two of the people on this thread are students and/or instructors of Musahi's Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. Specifically, put it into context with the preceding post.....

.....and you'll see what I mean. Both posts were based on *your* point about "whupping ass".

4. Lord Spooky

Andy I think he was joking too!

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Mark

This does not surprise me at all. There are numerous texts on sworsmanship (not japanese) that stress the same principles. Most common is against (posing) holding postures.If as spooky suggests this thread is split off I shall be reading your and others comments with real interest.

regards koyo

6. Lord Spooky

7. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Ahh. Probably the smileys dropped off or something? I'll pop a couple of extra ones here to balance things out.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Actually, thinking back to something Koyo said earlier about throwing the sword out to slash and then following this up with the main cut, I saw a similar idea a couple of years back on a Bujinkan seminar with Moti Nativ in Blackpool. Is this idea actually seen in HNIR?

8. Lord Spooky

Couldn't say. I'm still working on the Itto Seiho (one sword techniques) and so far, to me, it's more along the lines of:

"Come one then!, come on! ha missed me, smack yer dead”

:D :D

9. koyo

It was based on Musashi "learning the sword" without a teacher. Initially his sword was seen as unsophisticated by the "proper" swordsmen until they faced him. His tactic of using anything and everything including ignoring "proper procedure" during duels had him despised by "town swordsmen" who were already diluting the effectiveness of kenjutsu to create a do form. Musashi along with Yagyu Jubei had a contempt for those who "learned to swim on land" expounding sword principles while never having engaged in combat to the death.

shin ken (to hell with ettiquette whatever works)

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  10. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

But Miyamoto Musashi Fujiwara No Genshin did have a teacher; His father Shinmen Munisai Fujiwara No Genshin who was the Mimasaka domain's regional sword instructor. He was famous for sword technique and the use of jutte.

11. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Koyo said:-
    But Musashi, by his own admission, only survived his earlier duels by sheer luck.

"Swimming on land" as you put it is a way to give people at least some understanding of the body dynamics they will need and face before throwing them in at the deep end.

Musashi threw himself in at the deep end and, lucky for him, survived to become a good swordsman. How many countless hundreds, if not thousands in a similar situation simply died and got forgotten? For every Musashi, Yagyu Jubei and Tsukahara Bokuden, there were thousands of "just good enoughs" and "not good enoughs".

12. koyo

AS always correct kogusoku. I was reffering to the existing teachers after the battle of Sekigahara.And the arrogant approach to ronin who had "little value in peacetime".

and yup andy I was teasing the kendoka. :)

regards koyo

13. koyo

This from Noma Hisashi 1910-1039

In swordsmanship posture is not something fraught with complexity.On the contrary the essentials may be summed up by saying it comprises of that which is normal and natural.This is true not only of posture but ALL aspects of swordsmanship.Through training we are trying to create a situation where we are in mind and body free of all fixation,stagnation or rigidity. It is said that one must be free of all intention,striving, attachment or self.In outward posture the highest level to attain is one that is free and unhindered or in other words normal and natural.

MOst certainly these are sword principles but I would say they are universal principles of all martial arts.As an aikidoka I often hear the phrase that aikido is based on sword techniques however I feel it would be more correct to say that aikido is based on sword principles.

From Musashi

In ALL bujutsu it is essential to make the everyday stance the combat stance and the combat stance the everyday stance.

regards koyo

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  14. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hehe I missed this one. The 'rematch' was only recorded by Gonnosuke's followers and most likely didn't happen. The original scuffle between Musashi & Muso was recorded by 6 different sources, albeit the details varied between reports.

However, I believe "Muso, ****, plate, handed & Musashi" were all words translated from the original kanji... :D

15. koyo

IN DEFENCE OF MUSASHI

HI SCOTT

One version I read which seems neerer to the truth to me is that Musashi requested a MATCH , not a duel, with Gonnosuke so he could test himself against the bo. When Gonnosuke was defeated he adapted the bo creating the jo which was more veratile being capable of striking like a sword thrusting like a spear and sweeping like a halbred. Some sources even say that Musashi advised him. The fact that they were both alive after the confrontation tends toward it being a match rather then a duel.

As to Musashi's actions (often critisied) during a duel , we must remember Japan was just emerging from more than a hundred years of warfare. Any duel fought in this climate ment life or death for one or both. When a challenge was accepted, from that instant the protagonists were essentialy "at war" So any tactic was acceptable. AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN GUARDED AGAINST.

REGARDS KOYO

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  16. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Interesting - can you cite sources for that? I'd like to have a read...

As for the original match, I believe Musashi didn't want to fight Muso, saying that he had no desire to show him his techniques, but Muso pushed him to fight.

Paraphrased:

Muso: Wanna fight? I want to see your sword art.
    Musashi: You have seen my father's (Munisai) techniques?
    Muso: Yes
    Musashi: Then you have seen mine. Bugger off.
    Muso: No!
    Musashi smacks Muso on the head with a weapon he was carving.

17. koyo

Bugger off? You mean Musashi swore as well.? :eek: :eek:
    Minamoto Musashi his life and writings by Kenji Tokitsu (Shambala). I am almost certain this is where I read it.

regards koyo

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007