weapons in taekwondo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by shuriken, Mar 6, 2004.

1. shuriken

shuriken New Member

Hey all this is my first post so sorry if it doesnt make sense or i sound stupid/noob-like!

Ive just started Taekwondo and i can see im gonna be hooked cos i love it already.
    Im new and im aware that taekwondo is mainly about striking with the hands and feet, but i was just wondering if any weapons are used in taekwondo?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

3. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

Yes/No :)

It depends on the school. Mine uses the staff (almost every one does), the three sectional staff, and the cane.

Others have used the katana (not really Korea, but what ever floats your boat), short sticks, etc. It just depends on your school.

4. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

In my TKD school we will be learning some weapon techniques, There's this one TKD organization that uses weapons and that is the ATA http://www.ataonline.com/

5. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

my tkd school doesn't use weapons... the hkd in my school has like how to defend yourself by an armed attacker.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Not part of the cirriculum in my school. Instructor says all you need to defend yourself is your body. But, if you ask him after class, he'll teach you a bit.

PL

7. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Depends on the individual school and the instructor.

Available at my school: knife, staff, nunchakas (basic techniques, advanced techniques for higher belts, and competition forms), and sword (separate class throught the Hai Dong Gumdo Federation, with belt advancement, forms, cutting skills, and some sparring).

Some WTF TKD schools are also part of the HDGD Federation. These will have a complete sword curriculum.

8. shuriken

shuriken New Member

thanks all... has anyone been taught sai?

thanks

9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

some tkd schools will add in weapon instructors. At my school we use only kali sticks and knives. the kids learn some other weapons not sure what they are though. I have seen them using nunchakas. I'm not a big fan of them, so I never bothered to ask. I like kali sticks, knives, and staves.

10. stratiotes

stratiotes Valued Member

our tkd school has some kali stick and knife fighting also. if you're really wanting to get into advanced weapons fighting though, i doubt any tkd school will get too far advanced in it, as they still will focus 90-95% TKD.

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

we have one hour a week of pure filipino weapon and knife fighting and no tkd envolved. The training is up to you as well. You can grab somone after class to work on stuff with.

12. merlinmsk

merlinmsk Yeah....

in my school we use nunchakus, katana, escrimas, bo, and 3-sectional staff sometimes.

13. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

I do Rhee TKD and i've never even seen or heard about weapons in Rhee TKD. We do some self defance against armed attackers but thats about it. Mabye at more advanced levels I'll get the opportunity. My classes are about 50% little kids so i guess it wouldn't be very appropriat anyway.

/Xio

14. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

We are jjust starting a weapons syllabus, placing weapons in standard ITF patterns and pre arranged sparring.

Our association also has Tang Soo Do schools, some of their instructors teach us their weapons patterns.

15. BaeNim Roy

BaeNim Roy New Member

TKD is mostly un-armed, you may study some basic nunchaku and stick techniques at higher belts. Some schools favor weapons more than others, you should ask your instructor about it. Defending against an armed opponent is an important part of the art, though.

I'm afraid sais are a part of the karate weapon arsenal, you'll have to make something up yourself if you want to learn sai techniques and TKD at the same time.

- Roy

16. Toughwarrior

Toughwarrior New Member

TKD and weapons.

I am a 2nds degree black belt in Tae kwon-do. I train under the UTF (united taekwon-do federation). The ITF has some basic weapons. BUt one of the thing bout' tae kwon-do is that it is an art that is unarmed, because that way we can focus on makin' our bodies to be more like weapons. And if u train hard in tae kwon-do you should have no trouble takin' someone out if they have a weapon. Now i do train with Bo and Sword, at my school but they are not weapons of tae kwon-do, and this is common in many school teach weapons there but they are not weapons of tae kwon-do. So i would say that tae kwon-do over all has no weapons at all, just our bodies.

"be like a flame small and contained, yet when kindled destroys all"

17. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Surely TKD was designed with both empty handed and weapons techniques in mind?

Last night we went through Chon-Ji with Sai. It demonstrated that you need a clear understanding of the pattern to be able to perform it with a weapon or two. Its surprising how many people forget which way to turn and which hand to strike/block with when they have to think about a weapon in their hand/s.

You are correct though there are no weapons OF TKD (apart from the body) but there are weapons used IN TKD.

:D Carl

18. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I'm lucky in that Yoda is part of PMA and so, having trained for a couple of hours for him (so I'm no expert), I can see how Escrima sticks can be applied in Sajo and Chon-ji. This then applies to knives and any other edged weapon (not spears however).

Staffs are also taught in some schools down here. But they're hard to find lying around :)

I'm also working on a Short Stick book with another PMA colleague (Short Sticks from Shunryu Kempo) and will be applying this to Practical TKD as the sticks are a similar length to the Bong Dan (Korean short stick) and the Yawara.

Kobutans are also good to use.

19. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

At Red Belt we start to learn Kum-Do which is a sword style I believe. But my instructor has always said if you want weapons training go to the range and bring a gun. Our school also offers Bo Staff, Nunchaku, Knife, and Bow and Arrow. Also they teach us how to disarm and opponent with a weapon in our hands and without a weapon.

20. Ashford

Ashford New Member

TKD weapons?

Are there any weapons in TKD. Im looking to start an MA soon and im pretty set on TKD. Though i would also like to do a weapon arts, like kendo or something like that. Just wondered if TKD had ant weapons. :woo:

Ashford