Weapons defense?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kframe, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Sifu ben, I thought that the FMA were bred by people that didn't wear much armor? Don't some FMA treat a stick as a stick and not a blade? Hmm Im going to find a way to condense what you wrote and ask it to a MUCH more knowledgeable person I know. With your permission of course.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Of course there maybe...but it is not this attire I am talking about.

I am talking about vests, weapons, etc.,

And no, pink or other "loud color" camo does not count

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Don't need much, just something to minimise cutting to the chest and wrists. A cursory search for Filipino warrior on Google images reveals plenty of people with breastplate and bracers.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I don't as my job and the risk doesn't make it necessary. In my neighbourhood you'll get punched or glassed, maybe a bat, but knife or gun crime is almost unknown.

5. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Some of the southern islands (Moros) had full mail and plate armors. But yes, most of the FMAs were light armor or no armor.

Some FMA do treat stick as stick, some as either, some don't use a stick.

6. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Regarding 'checking' a weapon with your body edged or otherwise, I was taught if your going for a take down its preferable Read, SAFER, to have the weapon on your body ( pinned) to your body. The rational being the blade will only cut when it can move; two hands close to your core is a lot stronger than one at extension.

Seems like a ludicrous idea, but if you think about the horrible knife defense videos around showing bent at waist defender with butt stuck out, outstretched arms grabbing attackers arms for grim death in an ungrounded, unbalanced weak position. It does seem a better idea.
    Personally I wouldn't want to bet my life to any of it, better with a good set of running shoes :D

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Well, I guess this falls in the category of defense per the environment/culture one is subjected to