Weapon Training Log :)

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Bladevampirek, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Bladevampirek

Bladevampirek New Member

hey, so I took up a few weapons and started learning them here's my current vid. :)

Ps, I love Zombie Apocalypse movies so I based it off of that :)
    Enjoy,
    [​IMG]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUeGSm_xMGA"]Zombie Apocalypse: Are You Ready? - YouTube[/ame]

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I assume you are going for form over function so my comments are based purely on that assumption....

You flow relatively nicely, but there is a LOT of fluff in there. The setups/chambers are very similar and you have a relatively limited repetoire, but for brief shots that is less of an issue.

The other thing I notice is you are almost exclusively linear - it is predominantly straight line pressing, which is again ok in short shots, but looks a little hokey after a while

Are you formally trained or improvising? I have certainly seen a lot worse by the way and you have what would be a good foundation for future fight choreography and/or patterns

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

None of this has anything to do with fighting with weapons. It's just exercise while spinning stuff around.

The Bear.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know, there were a few subtle things in there like twirling a staff around to break a hold, and wiggling the knife around after a simulated stab that only people who at least read up on weapons use would know? You have to practice with the weapons without sparring just like any other martial art and he appears to handle himself pretty well with the things he was using.

5. Bladevampirek

Bladevampirek New Member

Thankyou all, for all the comments & thankyou bear for the critic I read & appreciate every comment posted here.

---
    about my training experience i'm a orange belt in taekwondo and i took MMA ( mainly jujitsu ) for about 9 months. it didn't have any belts just techneiques at the mma school.

I had some weapon training at the taekwondo Dojo I wen't to but not much at all i mostly got what i've learn't from watching tv or my friends who were into martial arts or people I met.

Mainly picked up moves from whoever I could as I wen't along. :) if any of you guy's would be willing to grab your camera and show me some moves or good footwork or anything you think may help me out,
    I would greatly appreciate it.

Thankyou, and Goodbye for now. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nice video
    Like Hanibal says, you flow nicely, and you mix weapon moves with empty hand well too (with the tonfa at the end).

I realise you may be going for form over function, so the follow may not apply, but I think you can have both functional twirling/weapon shadow boxing that looks smooth - eg good body mechanics and footwork combined with cool looking combos.

So, first tip: try hitting something with your weapons (heavy bag / tyre / training partner). As you gradually hit harder, this should improve your striking body mechanics (same as punching air vs punching pads/heavy bag). So when you go back to doing your shadow fighting, the striking should look more convincing... To me anyway!

Partner drills should help improve your footwork (be in the right place to hit the zombie!), but it's hard to give many more specific tips beyond "find a good filipino martial arts school near you".

Hope that helps in some way!

7. Bladevampirek

Bladevampirek New Member

Thankyou for the comment it was very helpful :)

unfortinately I dont know of a filipino school near me as of yet since I currently live pretty far off from everyone, I'm hoping 1 day to find a great school to go to where I can learn more stuff :) but until then I can just keep looking & listening to peoples advice and try apply them to improve myself.

Thankyou for taking the time to leave feedback :)

- Bladevampirek

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

No worries, do you have a training partner you can do weapons training with? Maybe the person holding the camera ;)

I've been meaning to make some videos of some basic drills... Maybe oneday I'll get round to it AND be brave enough to post it on the net... :)

In the mean time you could search youtube for some Lameco eskrima, videos with edgar sulite or wolfgang mueller are usually informative... See how hard they hit!

9. Bladevampirek

Bladevampirek New Member

Thanks, I liked the people who you suggested, just typed them up They're Great :D

sometimes I can get people to train with me but usually they are busy doing something else if you ever make a youtube video feel free to send it my way. just private message me on youtube :) would love to see it.

Goodbye & best wishes to everyone and thankyou all for your comments.