Weapon Defence

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by smithter, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Tucked is very different to down,

Actually that would be 1, 2, and 3 and 5, 4 definatly shows your understanding of a tucked chin is different to how I understand it, as well it should be, as your practising Marbo and not Kickboxing style striking.

But by your admission, are you saying you do practise heavy contact gloved sparring now? Hence the 'down chin' ?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

So you think that every MA instructor, of every art, should provide documentary evidence of all historical claims made about said art?

I'll do some research on TKD historical claims, and ask you for documentary evidence to support it, if you like?

3. Dead_pool

At least who your teacher is, and where they learned it.

4. David Harrison

That is in the "Pathwalker Guild" thread.

Re. closed fists: that is just one way of striking we practice.

I've never used gloves, only bag mitts to reduce cuts.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No. I think any reasonable human being on a website should believe the claims of a website they refer to as part of every interaction.

There's a reason I don't have a link to a website claiming TKD has a 2000 year old history; it's because I don't believe it. I have said as much many times on MAP and elsewhere.

You do have a link to a website where all the things noted earlier in this page are claimed, including the ones you are currently ignoring. So why link to it?

Mitch

6. Dead_pool

1) I never said you didnt use other forms too now did I?

2) Mitts are gloves too, for example

Oven glove - oven mitt
    Baseball Glove - Catchers Mitt
    Childrens Gloves, Childrens Mittens

7. Dead_pool

I dont remember actual names being used on that thread, But ill belive you, Now why isnt that on your website?

8. David Harrison

Believing and having evidence to satisfy public curiosity are not the same.

Please find the relevant post in "The Pathwalker Guild" thread to see my position on the subject.

9. David Harrison

I don't know, I didn't make it.

10. David Harrison

If I am breaching ToS by linking to the central organisation site, just say and I'll remove the link.

I really just thought it would save me having to explain what I train in, seeing as it is not generally known.

11. David Harrison

Ok then: yes.

Re. Tucked chin: while we do keep the head down, the ability to move the head for situational awareness is also a consideration, so it's not the same kind of tucked chin you'd see, say, a boxer practice.

12. Dead_pool

Its one picture, just a snapshot in time, Situational awareness is a strange rational for it though, its fine to just say its a bad picture.

Boxers tuck it in to stop from getting KO'd, Greco guys get it in to keep the neck strong in the clinch, Koryu Bujutsu guys (well as much as you can generalise) keep it in neutral to protect the neck and shoulders from strain during keiko, Judoka keep it neutral and tuck it in to improve there body cohesion and to protect the back of the head during forcefull ukemi.
    They all do it somewhat differently for different reasons, but your photo just looks like a bad position all round, no biggie, it wasnt a posed picture.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Tucking your chin is sort of just moving your head backwards and down. You can think of it as hiding your throat behind your chin really. Hard to explain in words though. It doesn't hinder the movement of the head at all, it just keeps your chin from being a huge target and helps you to not get knocked out (being the chin (movement of the jaw pinching a nerve when you get hit in it) and the temple are the two most likely places on the head you can get knocked out by contact.

Edit: Not getting punched in the throat is also a benefit. I've had this happen to me before, it is NOT a pleasant experience.

14. David Harrison

Strange rationale how?

When strikes are incoming, the chin will be more tucked - to protect from both KOs and throat grabs/strikes.

But otherwise, the ability to turn he head is desirable.

15. David Harrison

You can look over your shoulder with your chin in that position?

16. Dead_pool

You look with the eyes not the neck, if you need to look behind you, turning the body 90 degrees is sufficient, If your looking over your shoulder by turning the chin over the shoulder in a self protection incident, your amlost asking to be KO'd.

17. David Harrison

See 3 posts above re. incoming strikes.

I was not in too much danger of being KOd by the bag.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  18. Dead_pool

When your hitting a bag, your simulating hitting someone, therefore you by your own rational should be tucking the chin in more, because as you strike you are giving the 'enemy' the chance to counter you.

19. David Harrison

Now THAT is a fair and productive comment! :)

20. Dead_pool

And only on the second time Id made it! :)

Ps watson that makes all of my points correct! BINGO! :)