Weaknesses of a Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by CCG2, Jul 4, 2005.

1. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

Boxing. Punches that shoot like bullets, slips and ducks that move even faster. But what about its weaknesses (besides the obvious no kicking)? Teach me something ppl.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Grappling.

Weapons.

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

You have to remember that boxing is only a ring sport and as such you can exploit the many weakneses this causes.

Defence 1. The black shirt

Boxers are conditioned to only hit other boxers, if they try and hit someone else then they will have difficulty, you can accentuate this by wearing a black shirt as they may associate you with a referee, if you are wearing a shirt accentuate the affect by shouting "Time", "Seconds Out, round 2!" and the like.

Defence 2. Use the environment

If theres a bell nearby try to hit it, this should stop the boxer from fighting for between 30 seconds and a minute dependind upon the group he trains under. Alternatively if a towel is convenent then throw it at the boxer, this itechnique will halt them in there tracks.

Defence 3. The opening

Leave your hands at your side, dont attempt to do anything but intercept the boxers fist with your face. The boxer, having never punched wi9thout gloves on before, will doubtless break his wrist.

Defence 4. The no guard

Remember at all times never attempt to shield yourself from a boxers blow, it will either "try that bodyshot nonsense" which will have no affect or if they aim for the face then drop your hands for the above reason. Remember if your defending your face you've allready lost.

Defence 5. Touching gloves

Make a motion as if you are trying to touch gloves with the boxer, most boxers will touch your hands as a sign of respect, when they do this kick them in the nuts in there moment of weakness.

Defence 6. Exhaust them

If you can keep the fight going for over 3 minutes the boser will stop fighting and return to his seat giving you an opening to make a run foir it or to pick up a weapon.

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Slindsay, that was classy! :D

5. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

If your objective is to practice self defence then cross training in some form of grappling is the normal practice as it complements the striking skills. Cross training is very common because, like boxing, other modern combat sports have rules and restrictions that make the practitioner vulnerable in a self defence situation. RBDS systems generally have a mix of techniques, including techniques that are fouls in combat sports. Look at the list of fouls in boxing (or any other combat sport) and you will see another list of 'weaknesses'.

6. Topher

Topher allo!

^^ what he said.

7. Timmy Boy

What they said is pretty much right. If you train to cover weapons and grappling you will find boxing to be a very effective striking style, but on its own it has quite big holes.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Slindsay - you RAWK man!

LMAO :)

9. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

This one was great !!! :D
    The rest has been said already, and is obvious... some ground-skills wouldn't hurt... and weapons, besides being fun to train with, are mandatory I think.

:)

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i know you said besides kicking but this may help. and has allowed me to beat many boxers.

most boxers have a bit of a side stance. i say most cause some have a squarer stance, particularly mexican or thoughs trained by mexicans.

using that stance they are wide open for leg kicks. if i am fighting a boxer i ussally cover up and get real defensive up high. and live on his leg with kicks.

11. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

To quote Geoff Thompson:

"I have fought a few boxers in my time, some champions too, but never at their own game. Never box a boxer, as they say. I won all my fights with boxers because I either kicked pieces off them or strangled them into unconciousness, or even confused them with kicks then sneaked in a punch where a kick was expected."

And of course, any trained fighter is vulnerable to being mentally disarmed by non-threatening body language and speech, followed by a hefty pre-emptive strike.

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've fallen victim to that one a few times :( I just hope I don't ever get into any trouble with anyone in a black t-shirt; or I could end up being disqualified...

13. CCG2

CCG2 Valued Member

LOL thanks for the tips everyone (especially Slindsay)! About wearing black shirts and ringing bells tho, I actually meant boxing that was outside the ring but true nonetheless. So so far it's pick em off with kicks, use what they're used to against them, and grappling; I've got a problem with that last one. Grappling a boxer just isn't like grappling, say, a wrestler-that punks gonna try and smack you any chance he gets. I've tried to shoot and go in for a single leg takedown, but as soon as I get my hands on him, I see nothing but red leather. Help?

14. Timmy Boy

Just practice sparring.

15. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

im not tryin to be critical but helpful.
    i think your takedowns need work, usually if you cna get a single leg (if your good at them they have to sprawl and wizard. this takes away an arm and greatly reduces the power of the shots. if they dont sprawl ther down.

if they have good takedown defense well then "houston we have a problem"

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

the weakness of a boxer? numerous. hand speed and strength can only take you so far, great strikers none the less.

17. Myke_Tyson

Myke_Tyson Banned Banned

Multiple opponents, weapons.

Land mines.

18. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I think the primary weakness of all boxers would be Don King, and Giant Squid, and Salmonella caused from cheap exotic dancers in dire need of a bath.

That side fighting stance is pretty common in most chinese styles.. it enables a good solid root to the ground and excellent feet mobility. Chances are you'd find that stance works really well for overall defense, you just happened to fight a few boxers that aren't used to getting low leg kicks thrown at them.

19. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Why wont this thread just DIE

20. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Please leave this thread alone n00bs. Anyway, now I'm here, let me sum it up.

Boxers have little clinch game and no ground game, but then they're still likely to kick the asses of most martial artists and untrained people.

Right, finished. If you wanna kick a boxer's ass, learn boxing AND wrestling/Greco/BJJ. And you'd better be his physical equal. Simple as.