Weak Hips

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by boards, Jul 2, 2013.

1. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I've always done squats with my feet pointing out at a reasonable angle, but I was watching a video from Louie Simmons on the wide squat where he says that having to squat this way means you have weak hips. If you have strong hips then you can squat wide with parallel feet. My hips are extremely inflexible which I have been working on for judo, but has anyone here worked on this foot placement? Did it make a difference to your hip flexibility/strength?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

your hips will get stronger under any loading and squatting.
    dont worry about the powerlifting details unless you're a powerlifter.

you might have relatively "weak" hips but they're still strong if you're able to progress your squats.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Generally speaking the very wide stance squats is really only applicable for powerlifters. It helps some people with certain strength and flexibility attributes lift some extra weight which is what powerlifting is all about. Powerlifters who squat like this don't have weak hips, they have weak powerlifter hips, which are still going to be far stronger than a typical person.

So yeah, don't worry about this. As long as you can do a full squat with good technique with your current stance you will be fine.

Also as a note the only time you feet should be parallel when squatting is if your feet are together. Your toes should be pointing in the same direction as your thighs and knees and so should be pointing out at least a bit. The exact angle will depend on your anatomy. So for a particular person the wider the stance, the more the toes should flare out.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if you squat high-bar (which louie's advice does not apply to because the powerlifting competition squat is generally low-bar and i'm guessing his advice applies to it specifically), ankle mobility factors a lot into it too. a wide stance requires less ankle flexion.

if you want hip mobility through lifting, though, start doing light paused squats ass to grass (goblet, high-bar, front or overhead). some RDLs to stretch the hamstrings would also be a good idea.

5. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Cheers, I had always understood that your feet should point out when squatting so on seeing this I was unsure if I was doing it wrong. Good to know I had it right.

@ FOD, given my bashed up ankles I dare say my ankle mobility is rubbish as well.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello
    I did and do experiment a lot with foot placement for squats, deads etc. I'm looking for max efficiency etc.

With respect to them - Unless you're training like Westside etc folk - Including all their apparel - Then it's best to consider what they say to be mostly for them and their ilk - Interesting though it definitely is.

If you feel you possess weak hips this may be more to do with your deep stabilisers in your ****, core and lower back- Your Piriformis etc.

I doubt if your Hip Joints are actually weak - Inflexible perhaps but weak? Your Joints are designed for load-bearing so they're not usually the weakest link.

Good Luck.