weak hands and wrists

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by reevay, Nov 13, 2003.

1. reevay

reevay New Member

hey... ive been boxing for about 3 months just at home against my boxing bag.i did for about an hour everyday and shodowboxed but i just started to notice the last few weeks i that cant tense my right hand fist fully as it has a sharp pain. have kinda small wrists and i am right handed.
    does anyone know how long it takes for my hand to heal and can boxing do any long term harm on my hands?? are there any excercises for strengthening wrists?
    thanks...

2. zun

zun New Member

Did u use wraps and gloves?

How hard is your boxing bag?

I think your injury is probably related to bad form and poor wrist support.

I saw some guy punch a boxing bag - full power, no gloves, no wraps, no form. Lasted 2 secs before he started to punch softly.

Go see a doctor. Get it x-rayed.

Once u have the all clear. Join a boxing gym and get some proper instruction.

3. reevay

reevay New Member

i use gloves... puching bag is 5foot, fairly hard.
    it should all be good in a week hopefully
    thanks...

4. booj

booj New Member

Definitely wrap your hands up, and invest in a decent pair of mitts.

Also, you don't have to always hit the bag full pelt, sometimes just work on your punch technique.

An hour is quite a long time to be using a heavy bag and may place more stress on the hands and wrists, especially as technique deteriorates.

Try working in 3 or 2 minute rounds and limit yourself to say 6 or 12. Too much bag work will have a detrimental effect on your style which will only become apparent during sparring.

5. Fluffy Wabbit

Fluffy Wabbit New Member

Reevay - I suffer/ed from this a little while ago but was advised to do press-ups on knuckles to strengthen the wrists. Doing only 10-15 press-ups a day made huge differences within about a week. I can now seriously hammer away for hours before it starts to hurt.

Obviously let your hands heal first - which usually takes about 3 weeks of NOT PUNCHING THINGS. But then give it a go.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If your wrist is incorrectly alinged when you hit something, it can cause injury. I've fractured my hand this way, I couldn't make a fist for weeks. You may thing your doing it right, and it may feel like its right, but half the time its not. Get it check out in case, if its broken and you carry on using it, you could have permenant damage.

Are you getting instruction on how to punch from anywhere, or learning yourself only? Some instruction may be wise, this is one of the first things a good class will teach you.

7. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

First get yourself a pair of wraps (Long ones, not the 9 ft ones you find in most sports stores) then do this:

http://www.ringside.com/store/hw_howto.htm

And while your at it find some weights and do some wrist curls

8. john yates

john yates Valued Member

looks good

9. praying-mantis

praying-mantis New Member

hello everyone,

I got a related question:

Can i use a punching bag without gloves ?
    (Without causing any permanent damadge?)

I got to fill the bag myself, so I can make it as hard as I want to.

thanks

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Fill up your bags with rags or sawdust with a mixture of sand, if you want it too hard like only sand [darn hard as hell!] - don't punch barehanded simple as that. Might want to start a new thread where you can get more replies....

Reevay, you have to remember that your fist, wrist and forearm should be in one line, like one solid piece, if it's not aligned correctly, it's very easy to injure it.

|Cain|

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004