Way too hard or is it just me!

Discussion in 'Judo' started by syphon228, Jun 22, 2004.

1. syphon228

syphon228 New Member

Hello,

First off, I don't study judo, but I do learn some throws in Karate. I found out that throws are a lot harder to do when some one resists :D What I want to know is how you would use, let's just say a hip throw, in combat when some one is fully resisting?
    Thank you

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You answered your own qustion in your first 6 words.

Take some Judo classes.

3. Mike71

Mike71 Valued Member

Like most everything else, it works a lot better if they're expecting something else. I would use a hip throw, or any technique for that matter, when I thought I could catch my opponent off guard with it. If I REALLY wanted to use a particular technique for some reason I guess I'd jab them someplace tender or fake something else to try to set them up before applying the hip throw or whatever.

--Mike

Edit: and as Yoda stated, understanding and being good at the technique is really the first step.

4. syphon228

syphon228 New Member

One of my instructor is in fact a black belt in jujitsu. I was just wondering how people do a hip throw if the opponent is expecting it. For example, how do Olympic Judokas( Hope I spelled that right) do hip throw when their opponent knows what's coming. But thanks for the help.

5. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

First i would tire my opponent by throwing strkes to stun him. When he is tired and beat up, then the resistance wouldn't be so bad, you could land a throw.

6. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

The guiding principles behind judo will teach you a way around that problem.
    Maximum Effeciency, Minimum Effort.
    Throw him in whatever direction he already wants to go. If he resists back, throw him back. If he plants his feet, sweep them out from under him. This is the principle of Ju, gentleness, or giving way.
    A lot of the same movements from your karate training can be used in judo. Your stances and body posture can help you do throws more effectively. Just think more of the principle of ju, instead of using strength, and you will find the throws to be much easier.

Of course, finding a judo or jujitsu sensei to help illustrate this concept wouldn't hurt.

7. syphon228

syphon228 New Member

Thanks for all the answers, especially Furikuchan, I think I understand now.

8. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

not to sound to violent but we do a 'softener' if the person looks like they know whats coming, it's usual a punch to the stomach or ribs to put their mind somewhere else before you throw them. :)

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

If he's expecting it? Don't do it. Hit him in the face instead :D

The fact of the matter is, that if somebody knows your going to do throw X, then it is next to impossible to do it. Thats why in Judo you try to take them in the opposite direction of the way you want to throw them first. When they pull back in the direction of the throw, THEN you execute the throw using their own power to help you.

Oh, and break their balance.

Col

10. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

it took that long to get to the actual jist of it,

Break the Balance - Kuzushi

Thats all you need break your opponents balance and every throw will be easier, lots of people when working on tecniques miss out this, the set-up if you will and find the throw difficult, break the balance properly and the throw will be far easier.

K

11. Freeform

Nah, lets just hit them, some old school atemi! :D

An interesting aside, most Ju Jitsu schools tha I've seen focus more on the atemi to enter a throw than the kuzushi?

12. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

is this the Judo or Ju Jitsu Forum?

how'd the Exam go Col

K

13. Freeform

I'm sorry mod kieron ;)

Remind me to lend you the book 'Kodokan Judo' by Kano and we'll show you how atemi applies to Judo :) Also we should get together sometime and I'll show you where the atemi's for the hip and shoulder throws come from :D

And besides, it was a karate guy asked the question.

14. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Grapplings a funny old thing, a friend started on me, playfully, mind and i grab his arm and collar automatically going all judo on him, and i wa shocked at how easy it was to trip him, i was surprised to when i did a perfect o-goshi, then again i didn't throw him, that wuld be mean.

Yeah, i guess in a real fight, you'd jus feign an action, then do the throw, or you could let the other person strike, and do a ippon seionage...