Was Taught Kickboxing?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Now I'm not sure, but possibly I think I was taught Kickboxing in my HKD class yesterday. The instructor who was there that night has black belts in both TKD and HKD.

But I believe he has done more martial arts before.

Well, a heavy bag was put up and we all got in a line.

And we all did right roundhouses and left roundhouses, which is pretty normal.

But then we were told to make fists. (which is different for me, I haven't done closed fists yet, but there is some in HKD)

But then we were showed 2 closed fist stances, right leg/arm forward, left leg/arm.

We then did a combo.

I used right arm/leg forward.

I punched with the right, punched with the left, then did a roundhouse with my left leg.

Now maybe I'm just a little confused cause it was very different from what I've been learning, but was I taught a bit of Kickboxing?

Sorry, I'm just a little confused. :eek:

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no. you were taught some basic punching and kicking techniques.

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Basic punching and kicking from what. Now I'm a white belt, and haven't seen alot. But in every class I go to, I've never seen any fellow HKD practioner's do that before.

I'm not sure if it was from HKD.

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Sounds like you were learning to put diffrent techniques together.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

That was a thought of mine too.

But the thing is, me and the other white belts have not been taught to punch, just some blade/knife hand strikes.

6. ^-- What he said. Can I also add the following criticism? :p

Are you right handed? If you are, you should be using your left leg forwards really. This enables the weaker left arm to flick out with jabs and things which can be followed by the strong right which builds up in speed/power as it travels the longer distance.

If you're left handed, ignore everything past line 1 :p

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Like I said, I have not been taught on how to punch properly. (except to punch with only 2 knuckles) The roundhouse I understan, but the punches I don't.

Also if I'm right handed, I'm suppose to use Southpaw? Well then I will, thanks Norm! :) :cool:

8. Google throws up some good sites for "understanding" the basic punches if I remember rightly :)

NO!!!
    :D

Southpaw is right foot in front. If you are right handed you want a regular, left foot/arm in front stance :)

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ok, so I'm right handed, then I was to use a regular stance with left leg/arm forward, not southpaw which is right leg/arm forward. I understand now. :D

But so what did I learn in my HKD class.

After class, it just seemed like Kickboxing, cause the white belts don't learn that. (so far, but I don't think we do)

:cool:

10. To be honest, it's impossible to tell. You did a jab|cross|rear roundhouse combo (in the wrong stance :p) right? That is a basic combo within kickboxing, Muay Thai, Karate and numerous other arts. What else did you do?

11. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Hi norm how are you doing?

Korpy i echo norms sentiments
    Right foot forward is the exception not the rule :)

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ok we did it with both stances, regular and southpaw.

In HKD we have learned 2 basic kicking combos already for white belt, and there aren't anymore kicking combos in white belt.

What we did is we did with both stances.

If my right leg was forward, I first punched with my right arm, then with the left, then a left roundhouse.

Vise versa with the left leg and arm.

We also did another thing as well.

We put our right leg forward, quickly turned/spinned to the left, put our right leg down, then did a left roundhouse.

And we did some skips with punching and kicking involved.

13. Cool. Spend more effort on regular though :p

You got that right then ;):)

Huh? So you spun round, stopped and did a kick? Or have I missed something?

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Korpy, you may very well have learned a basic kickboxing combo. It's all good, no one is coiming in to take away your HapKiDo license. It's a bit confusing perhaps, but it makes you well-rounded, which is never a bad thing.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Ok let me fix what I said.

We started with right leg forward, left leg back.

Then we lifted our right leg, spun right, planted the right foot, and we did a left roundhouse into the heavy bag.

Now I broke it down into sections, but think of that as one fluid motion.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

Have you ask your instructor if it was Hapkido, or just some extra stuff he teaches?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  17. Topher

Topher allo!

Not to stray off-topic but i actually like a southpaw stance, just as much as the regular, even though i'm right handed.

I guess WC training helps me build power from a short distance (one of its key principles - i.e. the inch punch). So i can get a hard right first using this principle, followed with rapid punches. But guess its best to train both for all eventualities.

But anyway....

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thanks BaiKaiGuy. :)

The Instructor that was there that night is very well rounded as well, I think.

PS: Sorry about the Capoeira and Wrestling threads.

19. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I didn't ask, didn't have time. Wish I did.

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No it's cool, if you want to share something, that's ok. And what you're saying could help other people as well.