Warm up Videos

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by selonimes, Apr 22, 2012.

1. selonimes

selonimes Valued Member

After my first visit to an Aikido class,this morning, I was really impressed with the warm up(among other things). That did however get me thinking on how if I want to work at home I should make sure I have a good warm up. Eventually after a few handful of classes I am sure a warm up will come natural.

With that said, I was taking a look online for some warm up videos and found a few that are listed for Aikido. Since I am so green to the art, I have not a clue what would be a definitive way to warm up. I am sure there are some schools that differ in style, but I would think there would be common elements. Is this true?

Would anyone being willing to post some links or videos that you think would be a good warm up? Would this warm up be good for all martial arts?

Thanks again.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Why not write down the warm up on paper, either before or after class? A senior student or the instructor can help you. At my schools a great many of the warmup movements were techniques, or pieces of techniques, and we had names for them.

3. selonimes

selonimes Valued Member

I plan to do that but I like both the visual aspect plus the written cues as a means to solidify anything. Just been the way I have always soaked in the information.

4. lawin

lawin Valued Member

You can search youtube on aiki taiso.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Indeed, that is too easy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPzG8kp4NAo"]First hit I got on YouTube[/ame]

6. selonimes

selonimes Valued Member

I just didn't know if they are all the same or if there was an accepted way of doing things etc.

Thanks for helping the newb!

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The definitive way to warm up for any physical activity is to gently work the muscles you'll be using during the activity and don't over do it. A five minute warm up should be more than enough.