Wanting to start a martial art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SaintDomingo, Dec 9, 2015.

1. SaintDomingo

SaintDomingo Valued Member

Hi there!

As the title says, I'm looking to get into a martial art (traditional or modern) in the near future, probably after New Year. The problem is, I have no idea what one! I have searched google and read so many threads and posts but I can never seem to make up my mind. I know the best thing to do is go and try but I can never seem to bring myself as I always start thinking I won't like it :/

I'm 22 years old at 6 foot and weigh around 75kg, with a pretty average build. I'm not looking to become a killing machine, its more to do with actually getting out the house to be doing something and hopefully lose weight/become healthier. I would obviously want to enjoy it as well and learning to defend myself during possible confrontations would be a nice addition. I also don't really care either way for weapons training but if the other aspects of the martial art reach out to me, then I would get stuck into it.

I've tried boxing a few times, and whilst I really do love and respect it, I can't seem to stay interested in it. I also find that the boxing gyms I've been too seem to have an arrogant and macho atmospheres (which makes sense considering they are boxers [not trying to offend, just going off the pros on tele]). I live just outside Liverpool, England so I have a few options nearby and travel into the centre for uni so I can easily get to the gyms there too.

I know threads like these are posted A LOT but I think actual interaction between me and anyone who can help, will be more beneficial rather than reading other people's threads. So if anyone can just give me a few pointers in the right direction then I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

You pretty much said it yourself: You need to go and try something to see if you like it (the style, whatever that will be) and the people there as well.
    Actually, personally I think the people are even more important, than the style.

I also hate the "try it out" part, because for me it's pure stress, but the fact remains: Without doing that, you just won't know whether you like a style, the people, the gym itself.

Few things you can take into real consideration: Does the training schedule meet with your other appointments?
    Are you willing to travel the way to and fro regularly?
    What are the main goals you are aiming for? (Lots of things can be healthy, but might not do much to help you on "the street" (ugh, I sort of hate this xD ); personally I don't care too much about that, because I prefer having fun).

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would try a bunch of different styles to see what takes your fancy.

If you fancy MMA, BJJ or Muay Thai, this is the place to have a go: http://nextgenerationmma.co.uk/

As you said, there are a large number of styles that you can choose from in Liverpool.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Liverpool has a solid martial pedigree - hell, Alfie Lewis still teaches there!

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  7. SaintDomingo

Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah I know I just need to go out and give it a try :p

Yeah like I said, I'm not too bothered about the whole 'street fighting' thing although I guess it would come in handy if it did happen.

Muay Thai has interested me a lot in the past but I think I'm worried about looking stupid when it comes to kicking and new things like that, especially because I'm 22 and I'm assuming that in the beginner's class there will be many younger people there then me.

8. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Plenty of people start MT in their early 20's, plenty start much later as well and no one expects beginners to be good at anything.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I started training at 21, You'll be fine. Yes you will look silly but nobody will care. Everyone looks silly when they start. You will find that nobody laughs at ou and everyone is generally very helpful (regardless of where or what MA you train).

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Give yourself a month to try as many clubs as you can. Make that month January.
    You could go to 2 clubs a week and most places offer a free first session so your only investment is time (and sweat!).
    That's 8 clubs. Pick the one that makes the best impression. Some will get ticked off the list right away (bad attitude, you didn't enjoy it, bad venue, etc etc).
    There may even be a couple that take your fancy. There might be one head and shoulders above the rest.
    Pick the one that you can actually get to regularly as that is just as important as the instructor, style, students etc (which are all obviously pretty important).
    Train at your chosen club for a year and then do that "trial" process again. This time your year experience will give you a better idea if the club you currently train at is your best choice. If it's no longer the best choice go to a different club.

The important thing is to make that first step and actually train somewhere. It's less important what it is you actually train in as you can always change the direction you are going once you are under way.
    Picking a club or style isn't like signing your soul over to the devil.

Oh and make sure you document this on MAP. We'll be watching. :)

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

You are already light years ahead of most beginners looking to start a martial art because you hit upon the very thing that will keep you training: enjoyment. The people I know who have trained martial arts for 10, 20, 30... years are the people who fell in love with it. Or at least, get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I get wanting to start in the New Year. Maybe to a little bit of running or some body weight exercises to build up your stamina a bit over Christmas.

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

^Listen to this dude. They're smart. Try stuff and do the one that you enjoy most.

13. SaintDomingo

Thanks again for the further replies. I'm feeling a little better about it already considering how nice and helpful you all seem on here!!

I'll definitely give a few places a try in January then, especially Muay Thai. There's a Wing Chun place down the road from me as well that I would like to give a try.
    I'll definitely try to keep MAP updated :p

Thanks again for all the replies and I'll stay in touch :D

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Make sure you make the jump though. Not training because you can't decide on a club is like not going for a walk because you can't decide which foot to step off with first. :)

16. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Good luck finding something you click with.

17. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

If you're not bothered by self-defense applications or competition, why not try HEMA? Everybody loves swords

18. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

You're worried at 22? I started at 42, so if you're worried about feeling old compared to those around you, think of how I felt ;)

Something to remember though is tomorrow you'll be another day older, so start ASAP. Add 20 years when you're 42. By then you could have 20 years of experience and be really good, or, if you choose to do nothing, you'll be 20 years older with no experience :)

Good luck finding something that grabs you; and enjoy it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There's some pretty SD-appropriate HEMA if you find a club that does a lot of Ringen (wrestling). The sources cover everything from more-or-less friendly jacket wrestling (very similar to Judo tachi-waza) to "how to break someone who's trying to kill you":

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ge6l_bMLcs"]ringschule Wroclaw - YouTube[/ame]

But not all HEMA schools are the Ringschule Wroclaw either.

Not everyone loves swords. Though those that don't, should. :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln94E9AGYTc"]Longsword techniques: Zwerchhau, absetzen, nachreissen - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38sVdx7nzhQ"]Langes Messer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2Mh6CyXo"]Expert saber sparring: Lee Smith vs Richard Marsden - YouTube[/ame]

20. SaintDomingo

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well and had a great Christmas and New Year!

So next week is the week I set for myself to start trying out Martial Arts classes, unfortunately I have a important group project in uni for the next 2 weeks starting next Monday so I'm not 100% what I'll be able to fit in, if at all. I made myself a timetable of the classes, times and locations, for each days of the week so I can just fit in around my uni work.

I just wanted to stop here first to ask about some of the classes I am planning on trying out to see if anyone has any advice or opinions about them beforehand.

So,
    I plan on trying out BJJ, Muay Thai and Wrestling at this place > http://nextgenerationmma.co.uk/
    Obviously Next Gen is known quite well and their reputation speaks for themselves.

I plan on trying Judo and Aikido at this place > http://www.waterloojudoclub.co.uk/
    After looking through their website it seems that the instructors seem to have sound experience and quality but if anyone knows anything or can spot anything else about this place, it would be appreciated!

I also plan on trying out Wing Chun at this place > http://www.sifustevenwilliams.com/
    Looking through the website I get a good feeling about the place and his lineage seems sound. Again any more information would be welcome!

I would also like to give Jeet Kune Do a try here > http://www.angelfire.com/oz/liverpool-jkd/TXT1.HTML
    I am a little more skeptical about this place: Firstly - because I could only get to one class a week held in Liverpool as the other class is too hard to get to, especially on a Thursday. Secondly - The website itself just gives me a bad feeling, although they do claim to have studied with some impressive people.

Lastly I am planning on trying out a Jiu Jitsu and possibly a Karate class from a local sports and fitness centre. There are very few details about it on the website so I may get in touch with them beforehand or just drop in anyway. Here's the place anyway http://stmarys.ac/thefitnessrooms#classes

Anyway they are the classes I am planning on trying out over the next 4-5 weeks preferably so like I said any more information or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Oh and thank you for the suggestions about the other Martial Arts further up in the thread but most of them such as HEMA and http://www.kaobon.com/ are a little out the way and hard to get to for me since I don't drive yet but I'll keep them in mind if anything changes!

Cheers!