Wanting to learn tradition okinawan weapons, but no clubs in area...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jayla, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Hey guys,

Recently achieved 1st dan in wado ryu, whilst I really enjoy that and will continue to train there I'm looking to "broaden my horizons" and see what else I can study.

I really want to learn some kobudo, but there are no clubs in my area. I have sai,tonfa and nunchuka, I've taken my sais into training to experiment with kata and was really surprised how easily kata can be modified to use them.

I want to learn more, is there anything I can do? Obviously learning from books etc won't be great, I'm wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation. If I could learn this there may be oppurtunities (in the future) to pass this knowledge on in my area.

Thanks

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Where in the uk are you ?

3. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Sudbury, Suffolk.

Been reading some more, I definately want to avoid becoming a "baton twirler", really want to learn the proper techniques :)

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Ok the guys i've trained with before are in surrey , i found This group in bury st edmunds , don't know any more than that , hope it;s some help.

5. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Just a thought, not much by way of weapons work in Wado, but doesn't Issinryu do more stuff? Not sure how similar they are (more like Goju i think)

6. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Hi Arthur,

Yeah Wado is pretty dry in the weapons department. Unfortunately we've mostly got Wado, Shotokan or freestyle clubs in my area.

Indeed most of the weapons kata I've been able to find online are Ishinryu, trying to research a little, but it feels "dirty" learning from books/videos instead of a proper class...

J