Want to get into fight training.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Hi, at our club we have this thing called fight training (Thats when you fight in the ring)

To get into the team you have to be able to run 8 - 10km, do clapping push ups, attend at least 3 times a week and be good at fighting.

At the moment I can just run 1km and cant even do A proper push up. :eek:

I thought of walking to class (about 6km) and doing push ups on my knees for now.

Could I please have some advice on how to get to this level of fitness?

Thanks.

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

With the running and the clapping pushups, you need to build up to them both gradually. If I was in your shoes, this is what I'd do:

Pushups - Keep working at them on the knees until you can do several decent (slow, full ROM) pushups in a row, then move on to trying them on the feet. If they're a bit sloppy on the feet at first don't worry about it, just keep practising - you'll be getting stronger by trying anyway.

If for some reason you just can't progress from knees to feet, try doing pushups on an incline. A good way is to do them up against some stairs. You can start on, say, the fourth step, and once you're reasonably good at them at that height, move down to the third step. Repeat until you're doing them on the floor.

Running - I'd follow this plan: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Granted, this only takes you up to 5k, but it's five times further than you can currently run. Once you make it to the end of the nine weeks you can just add an extra 500m or 1k each week until you're up to the required distance.

And as a final thought - I don't mean to be rude, but IIRC you're fairly heavy? Losing weight would make both exercises significantly easier. If you don't have a good diet plan in place already you might want to consider that too.

3. ninjapiratecapn

ninjapiratecapn Est. 1986

^^ Excellent advice.

I'd like to re-emphasize the importance of diet, though. Not only can it help drop weight, but a proper diet with plenty of protein will help you build muscle faster, so you'll be at your pushup and running goals faster. In addition, as a fighter you'll be subject to weight classes, so developing excellent eating habits and dropping weight now will make it much easier on you when you start fighting. You don't want to have excess weight, and be in the ring with someone at the same weight but in muscle rather than fat, because you'll be at a big disadvantage.

4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Diet is the hardest part as I live in a big family and they keep taking my food! ;)

5. ninjapiratecapn

I had the same problem back when I lived with my parents. The simplest solution is to label all your food with Post-its, and ask them not to take it. If this doesn't work, find out who took it, and put them in a nice, painful joint lock. This worked wonders on my brother, who kept drinking my Muscle Milk. After the first keylock, he gave up taking my food.

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Another problem is with self control, I see the food then I eat it. Should I label the food as well to tell me and remind on which days I should eat the food on?
    :eek:

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

How long does the 1km run take you mate?

8. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'll have to time myself tomorrow. But I'm guessing about 10 - 12 minutes to run, I'm a slow runner. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  9. ninjapiratecapn

I had the same problem as well; it actually continued up until late last year. The easiest way to avoid doing that is to simply not have the food be there. I simply don't buy junk food, so I don't eat it. Since you're living at home, though, I doubt this would work for you.

Labelling food might help, but I found the best way to beat the problem is to eat several small meals a day, rather than three large ones. Eating 5-6 meals a day, every three hours or so, will keep your blood sugar relatively stable. A lot of snacking and binging is brought on by low blood sugar, so this will help curb some of that.

If, on the other hand, you eat for psychological reasons (like sadness or boredom; the latter was it for me), then you simply have to do some activity whenever you feel like eating off-schedule, preferably one incompatible with eating, like taking a shower, or cleaning up the house. I recommend martial arts training for this. Whenever I wanted to eat, I picked one of my forms (I hate forms) and did it ten times. Usually, this will take your mind off of food, and it'll help you squeeze in a bit more training, which you'll need if you're going into the ring.

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

^^

Really, really good advice. Thanks for posting that. :)

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Good advice. I've always found brushing my teeth is good for this. After toothpaste, nothing tastes nice anyway :D

12. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

You know, the first time I went 'running' I was appalled that it took me nearly 15 minutes to manage a mile. Nevertheless, I had decided that I was going to run, and as soon as I was recovered from the worst of the aches and pains (it took 3 or 4 days, as I recall), I pulled my trainers on again and repeated the whole agonising process. I was shocked to discover an improvement of more than 30 seconds.

From that moment on, I was hooked. For over a year, I never ran without a 'watch, and I tracked my slow but steady progress up until I finally managed a speed I was happy with.

The thing is, you speak as though you're embarrassed about your level of fitness, and believe me, I've been there. I'm going through the same thing now as I return to the gym after having had nearly a year out. But the fact is, you've no need to be embarrassed, because you're ready to improve yourself.

It doesn't matter where you start from, it's where you're aiming for that counts and, frankly, the fact that you've made the decision to aim at all.

You have goals in mind, clearly, and it sounds to me like you know what you really want. Food tempts me, too, and the best way I've found to handle a craving for something unhealthy is to remind myself that it will only hinder my progress towards what I really want. I promise myself if I still want the food in half an hour, I can have it then. Then I move the goalposts again; another half an hour, then another. Sometimes, I give in. Other times, I don't eat it until late in the evening. Others still, I go to bed without it, but with a small feeling of satisfaction instead (and, like Saz, very clean teeth! ;)).

There's some great advice on this thread. I highly advocate the Cool Running Couch-to-5k program. It's excellent.

Good luck, keep your goals in mind, and I'm certain you can do it. :)

13. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Don't be embarrased about it for starters. I know of only a couple of girls that can actually do pushups. Myself, it took over a month to be able to do one proper one. I remember forcing myself and hitting the floor numerous time with my face. In the end I think it was down to the amount of time I spent in the pushup position not actually doing pushups that made me able to do them. My advice in addition to CF's is to try and stay in the pushup position for as long as you can, it worked for me.

14. Zandorv1037

Zandorv1037 Valued Member

As far as running goes, here's my suggestion, but this is only if you want to be a very good runner. If not, don't do the schedule, just stop once you can get to three miles. (even though it's tough!) This is copied and pasted from something I just posted by the way...

When starting out, for about two weeks run one minute then walk one minute for two miles. then run two minutes walk one minute for two miles for about two weeks. Build up from there until you are running the whole two miles, then start running three miles every day. After that becomes easy, you could do one of two things: start a schedule or keep pushing yourself, running faster and faster in the 3 miles you run. If you start a schedule, you should run at least 5 days a week, preferably six, and then rest one or two days to help your muscles. on two days out of the week, run intervals... 800 m, 400 m, or 200 m, with sometimes mile intervals on a track or around a football field (400 meters is one time around a football field or track... 4 times around is a mile) and alternate those 4 excercises. On two of the remaining three days, do a long run, starting with a 4 mile run then continuing upwards up to seven miles, or longer if you feel like you can. On the last day do a special excercise, like a fartleck or playing soccer. A fartlek is one of the best excercises to do. This is the excercise:
    Warm up – easy running for 5 to 10 minutes.
    Steady, hard speed for three quarters of a mile to a mile and a half – like a long repetition.
    Rapid walking for about 5 minutes – recovery.
    Easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50 – 60 yards, repeated until a little tired. – Start of speed work.
    Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).
    Full speed up hill for 175 – 200 yards.
    Immediately, fast pace for 1 minute.
    The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

It's good to change it up, though, don't always do fartleks! that last day (I always use Saturday) is kind of a 'fun day.' If you don't want to do a schedule, I would suggest jusr continuing to run 3 miles every day, pushing yourself harder and harder.
    Just a warning: this IS an exhausting workout MEANT for someone on a running team (it's what we did when I was on the XC and track team) and it's not easy. You'll ache for days and it'll be hard to walk up and down stairs for a little while until your body gets used to the excercise, but after it does, it feels really good to do the running and your body actually stats aching if you DON'T run.
    I would also suggest runnig with a friend, especially on long run days, it always helps keep me motivated, at least. If you don't want to run with a friend, bring some music or something to keep yourself going: it's hard by yourself!

As far as pushups go... When I was on the cross country team, I was the only girl there that could do a proper pushup, and one of the girls I taught couldn't even do one when she started out. I would suggest starting out trying to do pushups, on your knees if you like but I always preferred starting with real ones, until you can do at least one. Do bench pressing excercises because that's basically the same motion as a pushup, and so curls as well. When doing curls and bench presses, use light weight and high repitition if you don't want to really bulk up. you'll be just as strong, you just won't get as big. Of course, add to the weight. By "light weight" I mean something you're ABLE to do more than ten repititions of, not somethign that feels light. Heavy weight is something that you're struggling to do three (or one!) of.

Also, if you're going to try to start fighting, I would suggest doing alot of crunches. Don't put your hands behind your head; it's bad for your neck because you'll probably pull on it by accident. put them across your chest. first lay on your back and then lay on both sides and do them that way. Then do some dix inches as best you can. after that, find something like a bench to lay on and lay one it with your legs dangling off, stick your legs out straight, and lift them up about six inches. This should excercise your back and give your abs and lower back muscles balance. Do some shoulder and upper back excercises as well... basically do excercises for all your muscles!

15. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

actually a footballfeild is not even close to 400 meter around.
    its 120 yards long and 53.5 yards wide

so thats 347yard....converted to meters thats 317 meters

if you are from europe and by footballyou mean soccer the feild is 100yards long and 60 wide so thats 320 yards...or 292meters

as far as high reps making you just as strong but not big...thats false to

lifting at high reps will increase you muscular endurance. if you do alot of high rep stuff you will be good at doing high reps.

want to increase strenght yah got to go heavy.

this is the reason powerlifters are known for their strenght and marrathon runners are not.

16. Zandorv1037

Zandorv1037 Valued Member

its fairly close to 400... that's why they put tracks around football feilds. You'd have to run around the ENTIRE feild, including the sidelines and stuff... it's not exact, but it's close enough XD. Sorry about that, I should have included that in the first place...

sorry about that. I meant that it would still make you stronger... I'm horrible at giving instructions.... Sorry ^_^;;

17. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Here is what i have noticed with guys training to do the fight thing.
    They each will run on the tread mill for like 1:40, that is an hour and forty minutes a day. Than they run on track or road because that conditions the shines of the leg by using them more to push off. What i will tell you about running is that when you run roll your foot from the contact point so you don't have the pounding stop when you run, which if you have that pounding stop you will hurt your knee you don't want that regardless of what anyone says. If only i knew this when i was younger.

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Did my first run today and felt glad I did it, it took me 40 minutes to get from my house to my parents work. 3 times a week I'm feel I'm gona get fitter in no time. :)

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Fantastic! I'm proud of you. :)

20. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

But for some reason my arms feel like fire, I didn't know that running also affect the arms as well.