Wanderlei Silva Defense

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Apotheosis, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

If any of you have seen the recent Riggs vs Sanchez fight then you may know what I am talking about.

It seems to me like a lot of good fighters could make good use of Wanderlei Silva's patented defense. If he gets stunned he falls to the ground and immediately goes into guard as a means of recovering.

Why don't more fighters utilize this defense?

I can think of at least 10 fights off the top of my head that could have ended differently had the losing fighter pulled guard as opposed to trying to fight while stunned/dazed.

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

good point. why do they try and get up while seeing tweety bird instead of taking guard, regain their senses, then resume their attack

3. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Yeah Riggs made a big mistake going for a takedown! But then is Sanchez really the sort of person you want to be in your guard when you're already dazed?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Instinctive behaviour comes into it which is why you sometimes see experienced fighters turn their backs in fights.

Diesel looked less stunned than Sanchez did, but his position was weaker and he totally fudged that DLT. Diego went in on adrenaline as evidenced by the way he just collapsed after the stoppage.

Exciting fight while it lasted though

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Rather have him in my guard than knocking me out...Silva's defense is all about survival, it gives him time to recover and gives him a chance to stay alive in the fight.

6. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Yeah, i suppose Riggs wasn't that out of it before the knee landed