Wanderlei and Sonnen first time TUF coaches fight on show (video)

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ShadowHawk, Apr 16, 2014.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

its a leak so it will be taken down soon ,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDsneaHwxc"]Wanderlei Silva Vs Chael Sonnen - BRIGA COMPLETA - YouTube[/ame]

Wanderlei just went for a smack, it was an open handed SLOW swing. But chaels didnt seem to be trying to hold back when he started punching.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Interesting part is it does show the silvia coach sucker punching sonnen which is all over the mma media right now. Personally I would like to see the assistant suspended for that kinda activity

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

i heard a rumor Wanderlei was drunk on the set on more than one occasion.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Just as I thought! Wandy swings, Chael ducks and shoots for a takedown followed by gnp.

We've seen it, no need to shell out $$ for the PPV.

Maybe, but I did notice that they were all landing on Wandy's left arm/shoulder.

Technically Chael struck first by shoving Silva

5. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^i also agree that Sonnen started it, but someone said they did not show a Wanderlei "sucker punch" when did this occur?

also hilarious PPV comment, i doubt it, Silva knows how to stay standing.

6. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Early on after the take down you can see silva's assistant jump in with a couple shots to sonnen. I heard the drunk story too not sure its valid may all be tv drama

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

He's said to have a very underrated ground-game but Sonnen is a level above in the grappling dept. though, if Silva should find those devastating knees of his somehow, Chael could find himself shooting for some pain! <-- Very unlikely though, Silva would need to recapture reflexes of days gone by for his knee strikes to be of any help.

Speaking of reflexes, I haven't watched the show, but Wandy is no longer cleared for TRT exemption. I know there is a significant lag time between filming/production and airing but were there any signs of withdrawal? I don't know much about steroids and how they cycle - hence the question.

8. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Not a fan of Sonnen and didn't hear what was said but it looks like silva started it.. And dang I recon he might finish it.( sonnen)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  9. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I never knew Silva was a TRT user, We all know Chael is/was , so either way if both were using it should be even testoserone wise.

thats messed up we have to even factor TRT in. In Brazil testoserone or steroids are sold over the counter just like in Mexico , Venezuela, Peru, and probably most latin countries.

edit, now that i re watch the video yeah someone was punching Chael in the back of the head and they even ripped his shirt off when trying to pull him off Wand.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

to be fair Sonnen looked like the good guy
    he asked wanderlei to disengage
    he stated clearly that he didnt want wanderlei to get close cos he felt threatened
    wanderlei has a load of vale tudo experience (plus check out the elbows to the top and back of chaels head).

if police were involved and it was in britain, chael would be using self defence
    Heres a full video with words pretty clearly there.

in fact, chael asks if they can talk. he's calm through the whole thing and looks pretty upset with wanderlei being a douche.

he asks wanderlei to stop repeated.
    wanderlei says lets go now and walks up to chael, chael pushes him and says "you know i can let you get close", wanderlei goes fight mode and starts saying "lets go", chael s saying stoop repeated till the takedown...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=747173575316716&set=vb.712787862088621&type=2&theater

11. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^in america Chael initiated first contact and would be the aggressor in the eyes of the law regardless of what words were exchanged prior.

here is a quote from chael in the aftermath,

""Wanderlei Silva's the worst fighter in the UFC, but he's still a fighter in the UFC and when I'm fighting him, I'm a little bit busy. I have my hands full, and for somebody else to come in, and this isn't just a guy, this is a professional fighter. This is a K-1 striker and he's hitting me in the back of the head, which is completely illegal by MMA standards, and he's doing it without a glove. I haven't been punched by a grown man without a glove on since the 90's. He's just teeing off as best as he can, and again this is illegal, I could have had him arrested, there's a number of things that could happen and I don't do it. Things happened, fine, the swelling in my head will go down, we're good," Sonnen explained.

"It was the celebration afterwards and I'll quote him -- he bragged to Wanderlei 'his head was really hurt' and I'm going yeah, that's what happens when a guy hits you in the back of it repeatedly, it hurts."

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

He pushed him away after Silva repeatedly gets in his face and did that weird clap thing. To me Chael noticed the escalation Silva was going through and pushed him away to get some space before Wanderlei went to the next level. In the UK at least I'm fairly sure he could of successfully argued pre-emptive self defence.

I also think its quite clear that Sonnen is being defensive. Before he's being his usual trolly self and trying to play up to the "bad guy" roll that he'd told Silva he was going to do but once Silva claps at him Chael's demeanor seemed to change as he took it more seriously.

I think that also lends in to Sonnen punching weird on the ground. I don't think he wanted to punch him. He didn't expect the fight to happen and I assume he would of preferred to control him on the ground instead considering he's on national tv and tying to do his job.

But yes Dida is a douche. I can't understand Portugese but I gather he was bragging about punching Sonnen afterwards.

In other fun news Silva pulled the fight because of this scuffle claiming the takedown hurt his back and he injured his hand.

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Silva taunted in that video about sonnen dropping out due to injury saying "don't hurt your hand. Don't hurt your [butt]"

I'm pretty sure sonnen's words and actions "stop" "lets talk" as well as the push (with a hop back) and that nice comb under the hook was all stuff I've seen in JWTs DART videos.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm pretty sure that's not the case?
    The context of self defence is always taken into account right (considering you can shoot people in the US)?
    Anything can be reasonable and self defence in the right situation?
    Sonnen clearly didn't want to fight, said as much, created a space between him and the aggressor when he felt threatened (that did not cause any damage whatsoever) and the aggressor violently closed that gap in order to re-engage.
    It was self defence although arguably he could have just walked away (but as a prfessional fighter can see why he didn't).

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What's more the aggressor in question was Wanderlei the flippin' Axe Murderer Silva.
    If Sonnen wanted to make a case that he was in fear of his safety he'd ony need to bring up one of Silva's highlights on Youtube to make his case. :)

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I mean just look at the body language in the still image you get on the video up there.
    It's clear who the aggressor is.

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

we need a legal expert to chime in on this. In Brazil no one goes to jail, its very corrupt down there.

In the US any unwanted contact even a "push" or "shove" is illegal , regardless of words

18. Southpaw535

I would be amazed to discover pre-emptive violence isn't a legal defence in America of all places.

edit: Actually I already know it is. That's basically what Stand Your Grounds laws are aren't they?

19. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^well in the "Stand your Ground" law is if you are attacked then you can return the attack.

This isnt the wild west out here.

Attacked as in PHYSICALLY

20. Southpaw535

He's also busy recording a TUF season and is there because the weigh-ins were either meant to take place or just had.

I think that's where all the people claiming the fight was fake are getting muddled. Its clear the stage was set for them to have time to annoy each other and make good tele but people didn't expect Wanderlei to take it so seriously and start a fight.