Walking Sticks

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Antman, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Antman

Antman New Member

Hello to all. My name is Anthony.(read my profile).3Yrs ago i was unlucky enough to have my right foot crushed under the digging bucket of a backhoe.
    I now require a walking stick for mobility,hence my sence of balance has altered and other associated right leg problems.I have a keen intrest in Butterfly knives but do not carry for defence (or at all for that matter),as I havent been assaulted as yet and they are illeagle here in Australia.
    My question to you fellow MAP readers is could i get some recomendations on a style I might benifit from,now that im limping with a stick.
    As a father,(of 3 girls!) the feeling of vunrerbility is becoming an issue for me.
    Is there a style that incorperates a walking stick?
    Thanks for taking the time.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

4. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

Rick Faye carries one, i would hate to be on the end of it!

http://www.mnkali.com/about_rick.php

Good luck

5. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Antman

There are a number of styles using the walking stick/cane and it probably depends on what's in your area, some clubs may say they train with sticks but it it may be once a month... Filipino MA train with sticks all the time.

In Australia you could also try this group who use the cane, check out the weapons essay page on their website.

http://www.savateaustralia.com

Remember to say MAP sent you :D

Louie

6. Antman

Antman New Member

Gidday and thankyou all for taking the time to share your knowledge in this area with me.I shall view the recomended sites with ANTicipation. :)

7. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Hi,

May i also extend a welcome to you.

I hope you find something that you enjoy make sure to keep checking in to let us know how you are getting on

8. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

There is its calked KENDO!!!(substitute tanto for walking stick)

9. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

Sorry for the sarcasim, however i do believe that some sword arts such as Iaido, Kendo, or basic training with such things as they do in ninjutsu, could help you alot with such skills. But the problem that comes with that is when you raise your stick to attack your gunna lose your balance. So i wouldn't recommend you attack with it, even in a basic standing position, for the fact that the reaction of the hit might throw you off. So its best not to take any chances, and maybe for security, take a side arm or something. Cause all those fillipino MA or whatever are for people who aren't using the thing for balance(i'd imagine) however i might be wrong and it might be integrated for such people. If there is such a thing go for it, but if its not quite the same as your situation, so I wouldn't recommend it.

10. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I think EarthElement raises a valid point. Each individual who actually needs a walking stick will have different things they can or can't do.

If you absolutely NEED to have the stick on the ground at all times to give you stability then clearly you can't hit anyone with the stick - in this case you would have to use it to hold you up whilst you strike with the other hand (or even your good leg?).

If you can live without that support for a few moments then OK you can block and strike with the stick but you may not be so quick on your feet.

So I doubt that any one specific art would be ideally suited to you. Probably the best thing is to find one that most closely matches your own strengths and weaknesses, learn it and (as you grow more skilled and knowledgeable) adapt it to suit you. Having a good grounding in one discipline you can then look at others to see if they can add anything to your existing skill-set. Of course this is a project that would take a number of years.

Mike

11. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Welcome to the board :)

I believe that wing chun uses walking sticks but it is a very rare form that not many people know.

If I were you I would focus on getting my upper body as strong as possible. Bench press, chin ups, dips, shoulder presses, shrugs, loads of grip work, and leverage bar work (i.e picking up a sledgehammer and using just the flexion of the wrist to lift it. Work you way down the handle of the hammer and eventuall ythe stick will feel very light in your hands so you can hit a lot harder). Get a practise stick and work on a punch bag or similar homeade item.

You don't have to do a formal art to defend youself. Get strong, get aware, and practice simple moves. Just my 2 cents.

12. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

True, however with no training(as i assume your suggesting) where is all that strength going to be used? I'd certainly hope that you are trying to strengthen your other muscles(for the health benefits) but just raw strength will probably not help you. However that combined with training, could be a very effective combination.

13. Combatant

Hense why I said about using a stick against a punch bag or similar homemade item. The chances of meeting someone trained to dissarm a stick or someone also weilding a stick are pretty small. If you are strong and prepared then the advantage is with you. One hit and the person will probably run off to look for someone weaker without a ready made weapon in hand. :)

14. EarthElement

EarthElement New Member

I don't see how that would be training. That would be practice my friend, training comes from a TEACHER(key word). That is if you can find one that can work with your condition, which I'm sure a well trained teacher can. He might integrate certain strikes and moves so you can use them.

15. Combatant

O I C your point. :rolleyes: I still don't feel that you need formal teaching to be able to defend yourself with a stick effectivly. Using a stick is a pretty natural weapon for humans to use. Unless you come up against a stickfighter then the average muppet on the street should run pretty quick after a good whack. If a teacher is available though, of course it would be worth getting good tuition. :Angel:

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Combatant: The same could be said about throwing a punch. Very natural - so why bother actually learning to box.

17. Combatant

A good analogy.....I consider myself beaten. Another word of caution Anthony; watch out for multiple attackers :woo: :woo: :D

18. AikiMatt

AikiMatt New Member

I've seen old videos of Aikido demonstrations where the man showed that holding a walking stick or cane can assist in performing locks. Of course, you could just hit people with it as well.

19. soctt03

soctt03 New Member

Hi Anthony. I don't think it's necessarily about style, it's more about (a) you finding a martial art that best suits your own needs - try several - & (b) probably even more important, finding an instructor with an Association that is open-minded, ready and willing to support you and, where/if necessary to adapt techniques as needed. I have met some really good instructors in my time who have been keen, willing and open-minded enough to support a disabled student but where their Association is not. So, it's absolutely key that you get the right level of support all the way to the top. Hope this helps

20. craftsman

craftsman Valued Member

Cane / walking staff

Antman -

Check out Lynn Thomson's Special Projects website (a Division of Cold Steel)
    at http://www.ltspecpro.com he has a Sword Cane for USD $110 + S&H (stabbing, not slicing) that's perfect for what you want - and sheathed can be used as a baton. Or contact Sean Rayner seanus337@icqmail.com of the Australian Sport Blowgun Association (based in QLD) to see if blowguns are legal in your home state (many are) - if so, then check the Big Bore Magnum blowgun (.625 cal. 4 ft. USD $20 + S&H) - can serve as a walking staff, and battle staff.