Walk vs run?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by franksv, Oct 5, 2006.

?

Walk or Run

1. Walk 3 miles everyday

26.1%
  2. Run/Jog 3 miles every other day

73.9%
  1. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Walk 1 hour everyday or run/jog 35 mins every other day.

3 miles for both walking or running.

Followed by 1 hour of martial arts every day.

2. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

I think it's obvious that jogging 3 miles instead of walking is most definatly much, much better at keeping you fit, healthy and burning body fat. Since running is very cardio intensive compared to walking I'd go with that since you're still getting exercise everyday through martial arts.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

fransv,

Are you asking what we'd rather do, or what we actually do?

4. franksv

franksv Valued Member

I am asking what you would choose.I have been struggling with the running as of late.I get up at 5:00 AM and work out/train until 7:00 AM.For the last few months its been so dark out in the morning,I just can't get myself to run.So I have been walking,I was just wondering what fitness gurus and other martial artists take is on running vs walking.

5. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

Run at different paces then instead of one tempo for a full 3 miles i.e. walk 2 mins, jog 2 mins, run/sprint 0.30 - 1 min for a total of 20 - 30 mins.

Walking 3 miles a day would bore the crap out of me.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Either run or walk, jogging is a particularly poor form of exercise.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmmm... some strange answers in this thread.

FrankSV,

It really depends on what your end goal is. What is it you're trying to achieve by running?

Basically there are two generally accepted benefits of running - you can be running at a consistant pace for a relatively long distance... what most people consider jogging. Once you've got your rhythm you pretty stick with it from start to finish. That's jogging in a nutshell. The primary focus of that sort of running is aerobic fitness. Meaning you can continually run at a given pace for a given period of time. Long distance runners and cross country runner and marathoners are good examples of this sort of running.

The other sort of benefit from running when done specifically for it is is anaerobic fitness. This is a much more sports specific type of running. This means that you will be doing short bursts of high intensity interspersed with bouts of lower intesity. This is basically sprinting. This sort of training is used by fighters and other athletes to mimic the sports they play. Boxing is not sustained aerobic fitness (the first example) as much as it is anaerobic fitness (the second example). As an example a boxer (or most types of fighting) will fight on and off... flurries of punches interspersed with bouts of squaring each other up and moving around the ring. The energy output during the flurries is much much greater than when they are moving around the ring and squaring up to one and other. So when you run wind sprints or other types of anaerobic exercises (like Tabat squats) you are training anaerobically as opposed to how a marathoner or a cross country runner would train which is aerobically.

It will all come down to what is your intended purpose. What results do you want to get.

One quick and final example... it's often said that a sport like Muay Thai, Kickboxing or Boxing generally falls under a breakdown that is 70% anaerobic and 30% aerobic. So you can see from the type of sport they do they wouldn't train by running to improve aerobic capacity - as in jogging 5 miles a day... they would train to improve their anaerobic capacity.... as in windsprints and tabata squats and the like.

Hope that helps you. :)

8. franksv

franksv Valued Member

Yes,this helps tons.These are things I knew,I just needed to be reminded :D .I know where my routine was,where it should be and where its at now.Its about getting motivated again and getting back to work.This happens more often now a days when the Fall season hits.The morning darkness makes me lazy,but I guess walking the past 2 months has been better then going back to sleep.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and setting an old boxer straight :D .

Frank

9. theunforgiven

theunforgiven New Member

I do martial arts every day for an hour right after work. Head home, Then run for about 30-40 minutes on a tread mill. I start with a speed of 5mph then after 10 mins go to 6 mph, 10 mins later 7mph, and if i have any energy left... attempt 8mph.
    Then do leg press until i get the shakes (just toning) and continue with upper body lifting until im spent.

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Personally if you have the option of running then go for it. What you must remember is the basic run training schedule, fast pace (sprints of varying length? Long sprints?), medium (1 mile max effort for your case) and longer distance (3 miles in your case). Running in terms of buirning fat, improving CV system and everything is best. A bit of variety never hurts either

11. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Sometimes I run and sometimes I walk, I just listen to my body and depending on how I feel I decide weather to go for a run or a walk. I don’t do as much running as I used to I tend to walk or do sprints with some push ups or squat thrust thrown in, I feel this works better for me.
    BTW Johnno, you have the most interesting Avatar (s) on MAP. KICKBOY

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Thank you!

Have you considered getting yourself an avatar?

13. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

14. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

15. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Running is going to be your best form of exercise, but I'd also say to walk as much as you can. Park on the back of the lot and walk in to "XXX". Take the stairs over the lift etc.

Running shorter distances than 3 miles will give you results and save your knees by the way. Find different routes that present different challenges like hills, wind channels, and sand. Add in sprints and fast walks to break up the pace. And if you're a city runner bring a rope to jump while waiting for the lights.