Wake up!

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by braindamaged, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. braindamaged

braindamaged Banned Banned

I was hit in the head once, lightly. A blood vessel burst in my brain. The capilliaries around my eyes also burst. Now I have Palsy on one side of my face, am blind in one eye, reduced vision in the other. Lost hearing in one ear, and am partially paralysed down one side of my body. I have a severe speech defect and memory loss. I have difficulty solving simple problems and reading.

But it's OK because I can "fight", and I "box smart".

Don't be fools.

2. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

This is one reason why I don't plan on making a career out of fighting... but at least you can still type good.

3. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I'm really sorry to hear that, you must have been really unlucky, i don't hear stories like yours every day.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That's bad!

Can you give us some more details please? When this happened and where? The medical processes that were followed at the time and after?

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Were you wearing a head guard?

Like Alex has said, there are millions of people boxing, they do not all suffer the same fate. Every sport has it's risks.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

one day, Billy walked across the road and got hit by a car. Billy was paralysed on one side of his body, lost his vision, and couldnt walk anymore.

then one day billy went on an internet forum and said "man you people who cross the road are FOOLS"

seriously, while I am sorry for you, if we all stopped doing things because someone had a freak accident, the world would be a pretty still place.

7. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Sorry about your injury but injuries and some times death occurs in all contact sports. That’s the chance you take when you practice a contact sport. It sounds like you had a hidden problem that was aggravated by the blow. This happens in other sports also. We have had high school kids die of a heart attack while playing basketball. They had a heart problem that was not known.

8. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Im really sorry to hear that this happened.

How long had you boxed for?

If this was a one-off boxing class then I said that any contact might have set this off. It may have been banging your head when you got up in the morning etc.

If you were a experienced boxer, how much contact did you usaully train with?

Again, I'm sorry to hear this and welcome to MAP.

9. braindamaged

Just give up sparring NOW.

Ikken Hisatsu, your smug arrogance amazes me. The Human body is a fragile thing.

10. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Could you please answer my question and also Yodas

Thank you.

11. bigd

bigd New Member

sorry to hear about your accident,good luck

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm sure im not the only one who gets the impression that your not a boxing fan, and have not suffered from brain damage because of boxing.

Many of us try to train as safely as possible, to minimise chances of getting hurt.

13. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

He's got a really good point, you cannot live a happy life if you live in fear.

I'm sorry that you suffered the injury you did, but you cannot expect everyone to stop doing something they love because you got a bad deal. No offense, but if you were sparring when this injury occured you probably weren't following proper safety protocal, just as "Billy" probably didn't look both ways before he walked across the road.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  14. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Sorry to Hear of your Injury

I am sorry to hear of the injuries you have suffered and it is amazing of how the human body can sometimes be so hard and yet so fragile. I do agree that with all sports there is an injury risk, skiers break legs, rugby players risks the necks and backs being broken. Brain injuries have even been sustained by footbal (soccer) players. In fact I read somewhere that fishing is one of the most dangerous sports. It is indeed a very sad tale you tell. I do think that most people when taking up boxing do realise the risks that can be involved and I hope that very boxing coach tells their students of the risks. Afterall boxing is about hitting each other in the head with the utlimate goal being a knock out which is caused by the brain being violently shaken. Again sorry to hear of your injuries and I hope one day their will be a cure.

I do also feel that we sparring some participants get over excited and don't realise that the point of sparring is to develop your techniques. I believe it is very important all parties sparring realise this and when sparring takes place it is properly supverised. I don't know of any of you saw the sparring clip on the forum of the pupils hitting the hell out of each other and receiving elbow blows to the back of the neck and head. The coach was just standing their watching it. The people in the clip showeedd very little talent and even the coach was weedy. I think that all participants in MA or boxing should have a brain scan and full medical once a year just to make sure all is well. I know this would be expensive but I feel well worth it. Comments.

15. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I too would like to hear mere details about your accident braindamaged.

16. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Ugh, that's a rough deal! I'm sorry for the accident you have suffered. I am also sorry for the person who caused the damage... if it was just sparring, do you know how terrible you'd feel? The worse I've done is break somebodys ribs and that almost made me quit. :S

Thanks for the reminder, braindamaged. I'll be more careful in sparring, kickboxing and in potention real life conflicts because of your post. The accident side of martial arts isn't posted on the Internet very often. I now plan to get a full medical as well as a brain scan as soon as I can.

Thank you.

17. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

You must be joking?! If not then although I feel for you it is you who must wake up.

As was stated previously, freak accidents do not constitute the foundation for a general comments like this. I once slipped on the ice and fell directly on my knee while carrying a heavy load...should I now conclude that carrying heavy loads in the winter is something I cannot do? Shall I tell everyone to wake up and stay indoors lest you have a freak incident!?

So in conclusion, with all sympathy if this is real then you need to wake up and realize that your experience is an exception, not the rule. Alternatively, if you are just trolling and think you are funny, then just go away as that would just be kinda sick.

18. braindamaged

ok, i made the whole thing up. Just wanted to see your reactions. Now i can see your reactions to me crying wolf. Probably "you're an *******" etc...bla bla bla. Surprise me. Give up sparring.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004
  19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

We have a name for that kinda thing. It's called TROLLING.

When you come out of the sin bin sometime next week - try starting again - this time in line with the terms of service YOU agreed to when you signed up here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.