Wado Ryu - what to expect

Discussion in 'Karate' started by android, Jan 28, 2015.

1. android

android Valued Member

Can anyone tell me what a beginner could expect from a typical Wado ryu class please? Lot of work learning the basic kata ?
    Do they do much sparring work?

Thanks
    Andy

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Wado tends to introduce, at least, sport-style sparring earlier than many other styles, so you're likely to get stuck in doing some level of freestyle fairly early on. But, in my experience, they tend to stick to WKF-style rules these days so it's done in a safe way.

And, yes, you're likely to be learning kata from day one too.

In my experience, wado is pretty much karate the way most people imagine it. Plus, if you're lucky with your choice of instructor, you get some jujutsu stuff mixed in too, as that's supposed to be the factor that distinguishes wado from, say, ****o ryu.

3. android

android Valued Member

Great, sounds good so far !
    running out of options with clubs round here, this looks like a pretty good school though - well established.

i enjoyed the sparring in the recent lessons i did in Tae Kwon do, so any elements of that would be good

really keen on kata training as well, coming from a tai - chi background years ago - learning the forms ..

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I know of a couple of Wado clubs in the area (and the instructors)

Which one are you thinking of going to?

The amount and type of sparring you do will depend on the school.

It's unlikely you will do much at all until the instructor gets to know you and your abilities - and even then it will be very light and minimal.

As Moosey has said, most clubs will typically start with WKF style semi contact sparring - progressing to Jiyu Kumite (free sparring) as you get more skilled.

Like a lot of Karate styles out there, authenticity (in terms of the styles heritage) will vary. I've seen what I would class as very traditional dojo trade under the same style banner as groups that practice stuff that has very little resemblance to Wado!

If it's authenticity you want, you increase your odds (although in no way guarantee them), if you look for a club that is part of one of the 3 main Wado-ryu branches -

Wado-ryu Renmei
    Wado-kai
    Wado International Karate Federation

That way you have a better chance to of coming across (as Moosey alludes to) an instructor who may be better versed in some of the older jujutsu elements of Wadō-ryū.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  5. android

android Valued Member

that's great information thanks
    I don't mind telling you where the club is, although maybe I should not make it public?
    not sure if that's the done thing on here?

6. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

It's no biggie - or you can PM me.

I wrote my response whilst still at work (so had to be quick).

The Jujutsu element in Wado that I refer to btw is probably not the jujutsu you have in your head....

Just so you know.

7. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Well, I'm only a real newby beginner, but I can tell you what our classes comprise of if it's any help.

Our sessions are mixed and during the time we do a whole variety of things. Sometimes these are mixed up in order, but we usually do a warm up, some basic fitness things, some sequences in lines where we will do kicks, blocks, knock down methods and punches appropriate for our grades moving up and down the hall on the hard surfaces, we will do some practice with set punches, blocks and kicks against an opponent on the mat, and often some sparring with these and other things we know at a grade appropriate level and often changing partners.

Then we will usually do some Kata in our grade lines. Sometimes for a bit of variety and fun we also run through what might be appropriate responses to, errr....bar room punches! for want of a different term.

For variety we might also try some sessions using large target pads held by others, and sometimes the juniors do this with some jumps over obstacles added in which I think adds to their fun.

FWIW I have a good time and learn lots. Our instructors are quite willing for us to join in and try things above our grades as it's all good practice and I think this is good, because I don't feel so bad that I might be holding the higher grades up when we are all working in a single group and it's surely all good for fitness and flexibility.

I hope no-one minds a newby responding to a question on class content.

8. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

You are the most qualified to do so KarateMum.