Wado-Ryu Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Intan86, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

About the history and techniques of what? If you're talking about ****o Ryu then by all means please point me in the direction of a good source, I'm eager to learn! (Not being sarcastic here, I'm genuinely interested in learning more about ****o Ryu :) ) If you mean do some homework about Wado Ryu or Shotokan then I have for the last two and a half years and I can tell you my classes are almost identical. I don't doubt that that 8th dan has evidence to support their claim but my Wado Ryu and Shotokan classes are practically interchangable.

Yes, thank you AJ, I know I should. Incidently you'll notice that's why I said I've never argued the toss on the subject because I know I could have trained for a bazillion years in Wado Ryu and I'd still not have officially trained to a Shotokan syllabus. That's why I dutifully wear a Yellow belt at the Shotokan class. You'll note I never disagreed with this procedure I simply said it can be frustrating to be treated like I had no prior experience when in fact I had.

2. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

If you are interested, we could share some MA videos. I have over 200 titles. for example some of ****o ryu, wich is possibly interesting for you!
    About this,
    please check www.wado-ryu-karate.tk and/or www.shihan-ishikawa.nl (both sites in english) and send me an email from there. We could discuss some karate and/or share videos.

bye, AJ

3. Gordon

Gordon New Member

I do one called Wado-Kai www.skw.org.uk
    Is it some kind of derivative of Wado-Ryu? What does Ryu mean? I've seen it used alot.

I like doing Wado. The basic stance is very easy and comfortable to use. I'm only yellow belt atm. I stopped for a couple of years for reasons I can't remember. I used to be pretty good for yellow too. I could do nidan, shodan and sandan katas very well and Godan or Yodan (the simpler of the two) quite well. Got extra tutorial. As it is I only remembered the basics so thinking of going back as a white belt.

4. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

Ryu means style. Wado is one of the biggest karate styles. (for more info and videos check: www.wado-ryu-karate.tk) Wado has a few big organisations, they all have the same principles, some forms are done differently. I will explain the major organisations in Wado:

Wado-Renmei: This is the head organisation of Jiro Ohtsuka, the son of the founder.
    Wado-Kai: The biggest organisation in Japan. Lead by many topinstructors.
    WIKF: Wado-international-karate-fedaration, the union setup by Hanshi T. Suzuki 8th Dan. (www.suzukiwikf.com)

other nice wado links:

www.shihan-ishikawa.nl (also in english)
    www.wadoryu.nl

Hope this helps;)
    Bye, AJ

5. Gordon

Gordon New Member

Thank Wado-AJ, good to know. I noticed it's barely different from shotokan (sp?). I've only seen vague differences in the basics, like you don't raise your knee before round house kicks in shoto apparently.

6. Getalifebud

Getalifebud Valued Member

Does anyone have a good site for kata in wado with pictures?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  7. Gordon

Gordon New Member

You can get a wado kata book dirt cheap from out dojo GALB.

I heard there's no side steps at all in shotokan.

8. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

wado kata photos and comment

www.wado-ryu-karate.tk

This website has all the pinan kata and jitte in a photo secuence. Every photo has comment how to perform and what NOT to do. This website will be soon www.art-of-budo.com. Then all of the wado ryu kata will be shown it the way it is now. Go and have a look.

Good luck, AJ

9. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

It is VERY different from shotokan.. but to find out more answers in this direction, you should study yourself, I think. In Wado you always raise you knee before kicking.

http://www.snake-zoo.nl/budo-arts/kihon_new/kihon_mawashigeri.wmv

Checkout this video, you can see very clearly that the knee is raised.

bye, Wado-AJ

10. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

AJ, I study Wado Ryu and Shotokan mate, they are incredibly similar. Just look at the Pinan vs Heian katas - They're practically the same thing. You keep saying Wado Ryu is nothing like Shotokan but if that's so can you point out the differences 'cos in 2 1/2 years I haven't found that many.

11. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Do you known which Wado Ryu branch your school follows?

12. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

Truth and depth are not always nearby. I am not talking about basics. even the basics are different. Wado is more similair to ****o Ryu. It is influenced by ****o ryu, not copied.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  13. Getalifebud

Since it has a bit of a JuJitsu influence, I was wondering, Is most of this taught at higher levels?

14. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

Depends on the teacher

15. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

That's great, AJ. You keep saying that but you won't actually give me *any* example to illustrate on this point...

16. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Like Wado-AJ said; however, the jiu-jitsu I was taught was more or less just ways to grab your opponent and prepare for a strike (i.e, fingerlocks to immobilize your opponent's blocking hand, armbars in prep for elbow strikes), rather than actually using the techniques to defeat your opponent.

17. Getalifebud

I have seen that most of the jujutsu is apparent in the ohyo kumite.

18. leontes.html

leontes.html New Member

I do wado karate more than 20 years every single day, it's unic practice way. The F.M.K rules allow stand up grappling technics in competitions if there are followed by a technic that it's scored to opponent

19. Wado-AJ

Wado-AJ Valued Member

waste of my time to explain. better discover yourself.

20. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

riiight...