Wado and other styles of Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by david123, Sep 3, 2013.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

If you mean - flick - then that's the way I would do it.

I have to admit I hate haiwan and and uraken techniques. If you actually make impact with the back of the hand instead of the forearm or knuckles you can do yourself a lot of injury. Easy to avoid in sparring, less easy to avoid in the chaos of a sim day type self defence scenario. I far prefer shuto and tettsui/gedan barai.

2. John Titchen

...and of course uke techniques are more prevalent in Okinawan originating styles than seiken.

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Can you describe / show an example?

Gary

4. John Titchen

Yes. Take any Okinawan originating kata and count the number of seiken techniques within and compare with the number of Uke techniques.

As an example:
    Pinan Nidan: 7 seiken, 13 Uke.
    Pinan Shodan: 2/3 seiken, 16 Uke.

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ah, makes sense. I am a little surprised at the lack of sokuto geri kekomi/yoko geri kekomi kansetsu (knife edge to the knee), presumably it's too difficult to pull off effectively during the madness of sparring/SD sims?

Yeah, I prefer this approach too. I was reading a discussion on a kyokushin forum about the merits of ido geiko/renraku waza actually. It does seem to have its' place, but I guess for me kata just makes more sense.

Ooooh, are you sure about that? ;)

Aye, a few months ago. Was practising Goju ryu for a couple of years before that mind :)

I can't find a good example right now, but when I was practising Goju Ryu, uraken uchi was much more of a flick with the knuckles as the arm moves in and out (which was often referred to as a "whipping" motion). Where as in Wado Ryu, most of the "whip" is done as GaryWado mentioned. Personally I find it a lot less painful on the wrists.

This.

I've also watched somebody perform uraken uchi during a sparring session with a black belt and managed to somehow slam the black of his hand over his partner's ear. Like you would if you wanted to burst the ear drum with the palm of your hand, but with the back of it. It was the only time I've seen anyone apply it.

6. John Titchen

There isn't the room, and at distances where there is the room it is slower than the more efficient mae geri.

The kick most often pulled off at any range in Sim Days (excepting hiza geri) is the mae geri. We've had jump kicks, side thrust kicks and round kicks done by people who weren't under any real pressure and tbh with less effect.

Yes, the muscle configuration in Shiko makes it an easier stance to maintain for a prolonged period of time.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

+1 for snappy uraken. I also don't like uraken, but that's because I tend to think that uraken range is also punch range, so in that situation, I'd rather punch.

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ah, fair enough.

I dunno, I always found Shiko dachi to be more difficult to maintain just because it knackers out my thigh muscles quicker. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'd argue to a large extent this is because the Spartan armour is very good at absorbing those kinds of trauma. I know I don't really bother trying to throw turning kicks to the body for that reason, and the way I sidekick is effected by it. The dynamics are wrong for the kind of sidekick I'd use to power through a body shield in a San Shou match, but I know from experience that if I land a sidekick or turning kick to an opponent's unprotected short-ribs then they're likely to drop, in a similar vein to the discussion we had where I'd landed half a dozen uppercuts to my partner's spleen and he barely felt it.

10. John Titchen

I disagree. In fact I've just spent the last two days watching the footage of the hundreds of simulations we've run to pull out every single kick or attempted kick. The video has been made and I'll upload it soon. Despite the broad background of the participants the kickers are few and far between.

Any weak roundhouse on Spartan / High Gear or Skins that would be shrugged off by a conditioned person, is shrugged off in armour. Any kick that would do damage is felt and will knock a person back or severely wind them. Those of us who use the armour in our regular training and drilling know this.

We see forearm strikes and knees to the short ribs having the effect of dropping people in the Sim Days.

The simple fact is people that people aren't getting the distance, time or angles to land effective side thrust kicks or roundhouse kicks to the body. In all the ones I've seen the kick isn't powerful enough.

You are actually the only person every to have attempted a roundhouse that high in a Sim Day! :)

11. Ben Gash CLF

I spend a lot of time training compressing and expanding range and creating angles. I'm also no slouch off my back, so my support systems allow me to be more adventurous in my kicking. Ironically I've increased the kicking in my game since I've been doing Sim days.

12. Ben Gash CLF

So anyway, challenge accepted, turning kick to the spleen in December ;)