w/c would u choose-tapado or baston?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by stick_dog, Sep 7, 2005.

1. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Unbelievable!!!

I can't believe this!!! I offered FREE lessons in a rare form of stickfighting and nobody signed up! I guess the party's broken up and most of the guys have gone home. That just leaves you and me, buddy Stick Dog.

I'll just finish off what I promised to discuss, if you don't mind. But of course, you don't, Stick Dog. So put on your Boy Scout uniform and listen up. The topic is Force Continuum, and upon understanding you will finally be able to decide what to carry, a tapado stick or a 3" concealable folding knife.

Let's minimize the use of jargon and use our imagination. You are in your Boy Scout uniform. This will enable you to carry your tapado stick and/or 3" folder. Understand that your ex-best friend is threatening you, as you mentioned before. Threats can be categorized into five levels, and each level has a corresponding level of responding 'force' which must be appropriate.

Your ex-best friend is eyeing you from a distance but has not actually made any menacing move. This is the lowest threat level. This is where the proper use of your Boy Scout uniform is important. Your bearing should be confident without being provocative so that the threat will not escalate to a higher level. Your COMMAND PRESENCE should tell him to break off any malicous intentions he may be harboring. Somehow, at this stage, the Boy Scout with the tapado stick in hand seems to be more prepared than the Boy Scout with the concealed folder. You are not yet justified to pull out your knife.

The second level of threat is when he actually makes a move, which is not yet harmful but may lead to that. Your response should be a VERBAL COMMAND, which can mean talking to him to de-escalate the situation or speaking in a firm and convincing voice. At this stage, pulling out your folder is still not justified. You just have to strike a heroic pose with your tapado stick to emphasize your verbal warnings.

The third level of threat may consist of a harmful or illegal act that is not directed to your person, such as kicking your car. Your response may now include RESTRAINING or CONTROLLING FORCE. Normally, you do this bare-handed, but if he is too strong for you, you may rap him across the knee with your tapado stick to hurt him enough to make him stop but not to injure or kill him. If you try to restrain him with your knife, you will certainly draw blood, and that will not look good to any judge even if the cut is superficial. A bruise, on the other hand, easily goes away with an ice-pack.

The fourth level of threat is when your ex-best friend directs his attacks to you and you are forced to use IMPACT FORCE. This force must be reasonable in relation to the amount of violence exerted by your ex-best friend. To use the knife at this stage is to court death. It is too easy to kill a guy. A tapado stick can be used to trip, rap or knock him out without killing him.

The fifth level is deadly and you may react with extreme prejudice if it is the only option left to save your life. You may pull out your knife or you may smash him with your stick. If the circumstance warrants it, you can apply DEADLY FORCE.

Notice that in the scenarios, the tapado stick is more useful than the knife. That's mainly because of legal constraints. When used to hurt people, knives are often associated with assassins and criminals. Sticks, on the other hand, are associated with peace-loving, law-abiding Boy Scouts.

Stick Dog, be true to your name. Choose the stick over the knife.

2. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Unbelievable!!!

I can't believe this!!! I offered FREE lessons in a rare form of stickfighting and nobody signed up! I guess the party's broken up and most of the guys have gone home. That just leaves you and me, buddy Stick Dog.

I'll just finish off what I promised to discuss, if you don't mind. But of course, you don't, Stick Dog. So put on your Boy Scout uniform and listen up. The topic is Force Continuum, and upon understanding you will finally be able to decide what to carry, a tapado stick or a 3" concealable folding knife.

Let's minimize the use of jargon and use our imagination. You are in your Boy Scout uniform. This will enable you to carry your tapado stick and/or 3" folder. Understand that your ex-best friend is threatening you, as you mentioned before. Threats can be categorized into five levels, and each level has a corresponding level of responding 'force' which must be appropriate.

Your ex-best friend is eyeing you from a distance but has not actually made any menacing move. This is the lowest threat level. This is where the proper use of your Boy Scout uniform is important. Your bearing should be confident without being provocative so that the threat will not escalate to a higher level. Your COMMAND PRESENCE should tell him to break off any malicous intentions he may be harboring. Somehow, at this stage, the Boy Scout with the tapado stick in hand seems to be more prepared than the Boy Scout with the concealed folder. You are not yet justified to pull out your knife.

The second level of threat is when he actually makes a move, which is not yet harmful but may lead to that. Your response should be a VERBAL COMMAND, which can mean talking to him to de-escalate the situation or speaking in a firm and convincing voice. At this stage, pulling out your folder is still not justified. You just have to strike a heroic pose with your tapado stick to emphasize your verbal warnings.

The third level of threat may consist of a harmful or illegal act that is not directed to your person, such as kicking your car. Your response may now include RESTRAINING or CONTROLLING FORCE. Normally, you do this bare-handed, but if he is too strong for you, you may rap him across the knee with your tapado stick to hurt him enough to make him stop but not to injure or kill him. If you try to restrain him with your knife, you will certainly draw blood, and that will not look good to any judge even if the cut is superficial. A bruise, on the other hand, easily goes away with an ice-pack.

The fourth level of threat is when your ex-best friend directs his attacks to you and you are forced to use IMPACT FORCE. This force must be reasonable in relation to the amount of violence exerted by your ex-best friend. To use the knife at this stage is to court death. It is too easy to kill a guy. A tapado stick can be used to trip, rap or knock him out without killing him.

The fifth level is deadly and you may react with extreme prejudice if it is the only option left to save your life. You may pull out your knife or you may smash him with your stick. If the circumstance warrants it, you can apply DEADLY FORCE.

Notice that in the scenarios, the tapado stick is more useful than the knife. That's mainly because of legal constraints. Rightly or wrongly, when used to hurt people, knives are often associated with assassins and criminals. Sticks, on the other hand, are associated with peace-loving, law-abiding Boy Scouts.

Stick Dog, be true to your name. Choose the stick over the knife.

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

excellent post redbagani! why would one think of bringing a knife anyways? or, when should one consider to bring a knife?

4. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

hey Red, am i too late for this????? :cry: the pale pilsen grande is still cold though :D now let's have a couple of rounds and i'm sure the guys would come and join along :p

5. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

tnx for the advise sir diego :p

6. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

I'll sign up Sir Red, dunno if I have the time though, but I would love to learn. Is that in any way the same w/ kendo? Where its length its almost 6"?

:p

Yup I'll choose stick over the knife :D

thanks

7. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

For those of you who want to train quarterstaff AND go out for a drink with RedBagani, arrange seperate dates for each. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT do together.

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Me, me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,
    That sounds like soooooo much fun:D

I'm in Manila from 1st - 10th December and will be at the Hotel Miramar in Ermita, I am sure they have a bar and I know there is one very near by, and of course we have the park to stagger round too later to do some sticks 'n' stuff.

Will be bringing some stinky cheese for you know who:eek:

Get the San Mig's in the fridge and see the Manila Mappers real soon.:cool:

Pat

9. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

My First Disciple

Yes! Yes! Yes! Finally, I have a disciple. Now i can call myself a MASTER. Okay, my acolyte, let me tell you something about that great Englishman who founded this wonderful craft I was telling you about. He was a decorated soldier, known for his courage and cunning. He has millions od devotees world-wide. I learned the art of the English quarterstaff from his group when I was just a kid. I learned a lot from my seniors. Your first lesson will be to find out more about this English knight. His name is lord Robert Baden-Powell.

Oh, how I'd like to be with you when you discover who he is!!! :D

10. Pat OMalley

Well if your British and you don't know who he is, then you don't get out much (dib dib);) And yes your right, he has thousands upon thousands of diciples world wide (dob dob);)

Best regards

Pat

11. Diego_Vega

Being a former disciple myself, I do remember that we were all encouraged to carry a knife. I think I actually got a badge for it.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

and the cult you head now is encouraged to carry...?

13. Diego_Vega

Protection.

One certain member is encouraged to carry a different kind of protection, and Shootodog knows who I mean and why.

14. shootodog

always encourage but it is doubtful that it is followed...

15. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Full Protection, Not.

A young man who was hospitalized after participating in a knife duel expressed amzement that he got cut. "I followed the government's ads," he said, "I was told I would be well-protected if I wore a condom."

16. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

haha. i'll remember this. thanks diego vega :D

Red, sign me up for your quarterstaff :p

17. Pat OMalley

But we all know as grown men that only works 99% of the time;) He obviosly did not read the instructions properly:)

Best regards

Pat

18. shootodog

sorry man. that came off as really kinky. :D

19. BatongBuhay

BatongBuhay Valued Member

i heard an ERAP version of this before...

20. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Our tribe is increasing. Hooray! Hooray! But please, do follow my instructions.
    Hello burungkol,
    So you wanna sign up. You will have to be garbed in the traditional outfit of our group. My old uniform is kinda small for me already since I last wore it as a kid. Its real tight between the legs and when I try to walk, it is hell.

For those of you who have already joined up, the next lesson will be to learn our unique three-finger salute. This will differentiate us from the other stylist with their own characteristic tiger claw, praying mantis hook, etc. Our trademark fist is patterned after a type of white flower found in France, the fleur-de-lis.

I can easily teach the English quarterstaff in one lesson. just remember to come in the proper uniform. :D