w/c would u choose-tapado or baston?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by stick_dog, Sep 7, 2005.

1. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

In a life threatening situation where your enemy is a bolo wielding drug addict, w/c weapon would you choose & why, a bolo or a tapado? :confused: (considering only a year training) pls explain why.

your views would really help, in our place, there are crazy addicts when who when high in drugs, look for trouble usually wields a bolo or a dagger, ice pick, balisong. :rolleyes:

2. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

i choose 'GUN' my trusted colt-45 ... dont want to take chances even though im so good at arnis/escrima.

3. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

sorry i have no gun. pls consider if you forced to fight, & have to choose to defend your family & yourself, tnx

4. Ferdie

Ferdie New Member

Hi, stick dog! Are you in the Philippines? Sounds very much like my neighborhood back there.

Are asking about you walking down the street & then suddenly an addict jumps you or you know they're about to go on a "tripping" spree of hurting people?

Very curious, though. Are you in any danger of being attacked anytime soon?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  5. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Good question. By tapado, you mean the long stick, and not the Ilonggo style founded by the late master Mumar. I have different kind of sticks at home, and if trouble breaks out outside my doorstep, I will pick my long stick (tapado) over my baston because the long stick has 1) greater range 2) greater power and 3) heavy-duty durability.

My friend Mike Ricablanca of Cebu City, who learned the Tapado style in Bacolod, showed me the advantages of the long stick over the baston. The disadvantage of the long stick is if the wielder is not so skilled and the opponent moves into close quarters, he will be trapped. Another disadvantage of the long stick is that it is not convenient to carry around. I have a fighting stick that is only 25" long that I sometimes carry in my bag. It is not as long as i want it to be, but it is there when I need it. The security guard's night-stick may even be less effective but again, it is handier.

6. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Correct Myself

I misread your question. I initially thought it was tapado or a baston (stick). I chose tapado.
    Against a bolo wielding addict, in general I will still choose the tapado if the fight is going to be on the streets. Not only will the tapado give me the 3 advantages I have listed in the previous post, it will also minimize legal hassles. Why did I carry a bolo on the streets? Oh, Mr. Judge, I wasn't really thinking...
    If the addict enterd my house, my tapado won't be much use in the cramped space. With my blade, I can legally kill an armed intruder. Oh, Mr. Judge, I was in fear for my life and my family's.

7. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

if thats the case i will use a bolo ... btw its so cheap to buy a PALTIK, TEKA-TEKA or SUMPAK, every area or corner street in Metro-Manila sell this type of equipment, or better yet u can even make one your self, sumpak can be made in less that Php100 (US$2) ...

8. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

I like the idea of the tapado keeping some distance between yourself and yung mga loko-loko at sira ulo (i.e. weirdos). However, because of its longer size when compared to the shorter baston, it might actually invite more chances for trouble. Some street people like to "try" or challenge other people, so carrying a tapado is kind of hard to do inconspicuously. You might as well carry a kampilan in that case! I still prefer the baston, mostly due to its portability and ease of use.

It makes sense to believe that the skill of the wielder of any given weapon really takes precedence over the weapon itself, in regards to trying to determine the outcome of a fight (provided that none of the weapons are firearms, just impact/edged weapons!).

Still, a solo baston can cause some damage to a bolo-wielding thug. Remember, it's not necessarily baston contra bolo; it could also be baston contra hand (or other bodyparts). However, high on drugs, thugs may not feel the effects of strikes on their body parts. Nevertheless, strikes to the hand might still work because, even though he may not feel it, he shouldn't be able to hold the bolo. Another alternative is to actually try to strike the bolo hard enough to disarm it from largo range. If you really feel confident and can get out of the bolo's way, an ambitious sleeper hold/naked choke would disable any thug, high or sober.

Just MHO. Ta.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

bolo weilding drig addict on a bad trip?

my options list would look like this:

1) running away
    2) projectile weapons
    3) bolo
    4) tapado
    5) baston

10. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

you can never really put yourself out of danger when your problem still exists. you could either have these guys reported to your local police.... or call the media (imbestigador/bitag - local investigative tv programs here in the PI) for some investigation support and help with the authorities...coz the police usually acts faster when there's a camera in front of them.

never put yourself into a dangerous situation unless needed. if that's the case, our mates have really nice answers and suggestions... except for the gun thing and paltik stuff which i don't think is really nice... (you could get into deep trouble when they found these in your possesion). :woo: use your MA to your advantage.

with the two, i prefer using the tapado... safer in many aspects as compared to the bolo.

11. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Just wondering Red, have you ever heard of anyone being convicted for vigilante killings or the chop chop cases in Fairview? Well-educated, connected, independently wealthy, tall, mestizo guys like you don't get convicted for disposing of drug addicts on a rampage.

As for why you were carrying a bolo on the street? Its an agricultural tool. Maybe you were attending to your crops. Metro Manila is noted for the vast gardens of its residents :rolleyes:

12. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

well i have this neighbor of mine, w/c i call "my bestfriend :D ", a drug addict who has concocted stories that I had a relationship w/ his wife. If he feels confronting me, he'll do, he'll just shout at the top of his lungs, challenging me to fight having in his hand a bolo(itak). On those case, it's fine coz I know & can avoid him. But there are times when I'll be caught by surprised, he's a tricycle drive, so i really can't know where he is anytime.

There are really times when we almost, fought, even he had his bolo, would you believe, he challenged my sister to fight him? :bang: Shouting invectives at us, whew. If I fight him, what would I gain, I'll be arraigned for physical injury, if I lose, I could die. So, what I did, I filed for attempted murder (had an instance where he really attacked me, luckily I have stainless pipe at my service vehicle, am not into Arnis, yet) & grave threat :D , now he is like a sheep. Black sheep that is, I believe he just avoid any confrontation coz of the case pending at the court, would add up to my evidences :cool: . But am still on the look out for him.

13. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

lol, well i have to think of the consequences, shooting someone w/ a sumpak could really land you in a jail. I have to defend my case & carrying an illegal weapon :eek:

14. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

thanks mate :)

15. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

now i'm confused. when im in bulacan, i could go around the neighborhood topless (even if i'd reach other towns) + a bolo on my waist/hand/back and no one cares!
    but here in manila, i think carrying a knife/bolo on the streets attracts other people/police's attention (with the exception of the topless stuff of course :p ). is it really illegal to carry these things or does purpose and reasoning affects people's judgement????

16. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

so would you suggest more on baston, coz I just started tapado training, maybe just had 1 session :D . I know i can wield it, but dunno how can I say am really skilled & confident enough to really use it in a real fight. Am much more confident on a baston, however, given the advantage of a tapado, hasving longer range, increases the distance between me & the bolo wielder & greater power in a strike, but as what have you said sir, in close quarter fight, I could have a problem. Guess I'll use both? :D , put it in my carry case

17. stick_dog

stick_dog New Member

thanks sir,

1) I can run :D
    2) projectile weapons - stone only :D
    3) bolo - dunno if am ready to use this in a fight
    4) tapado 5) baston - :love:

18. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Arrested for being Topless

Philippine laws can be really wierd. MMDA Chairman, Bayani Fernando wanted to arm his employees with bolos, but they were instead allowed to carry only rattan sticks. Maybe if chairman Bayani sees you topless with a bolo strapped around your waist, he will have you arrested but not for carrying a weapon. He passed an ordinance banning males from walking on the streets without a shirt on.

19. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Ahem, I forgot what I wanted to write.

20. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Are you from Fairview? There is a Tapado instructor there. Other styles that teach the long stick include Vic Sanchez (Lightning Scientific Arnis), Kali Ilustrisimo (Tony Diego once fought a match against another long stick expert and won) Yuli Romo (who calls his long stick bio-olisi). There are others like modern arnis but I don't know the instructors there much.