Vomitting During/After Excersise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Paratus, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I was just curious to what the reason(s) for sometimes vomitting after a heavy workout would be

I only ask because I managed to do just that today, luckily I only had water in my stomach at the time so it wasn't bad...

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Dehydration, muscle cramps, nausea caused by overheating....there are lots of reasons. Nothing wrong with a little pukage sometimes during a workout.

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Cept that it's catabolic and not to mention messy :eek: ....lol. If you don't eat anything prior to working out you can feel queasy and potentially puke. That and overdoing it will work.

4. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

In this heat? Watch out for heat exhaustion. Symptoms include paleness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fainting, and a moderately increased temperature (101-102 degrees F). Slow down if you're working in extremes of temperature.

5. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Don't forget, light colored clothing, as well as light fabric clothing and to consume PLENTY of water. It's good to sip water/gatorade or a water & gatorade mix throughout a workout (don't go downing a gallon between sets, that's just askin' for bad stuff).

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I often find that if I can't hang with a kick session and decide to go back to booting black tar heroin on the day I have to be at the gym...

that I too end up vomitting.

Must be the fumes from the cleaning solvents they use at the gym. :D

7. smalldark&purry

smalldark&purry New Member

I would not overly concern yourself.
    A very valued friend once said to me that unless you are ready to vomit after training then you should get your behind back in the gym. Hard maybe, but valid, it is a rarity that i wil not fall off the bench that i may be on, not from dramatic interest, as there is seldom any one present, just from the simple fact that from a heavy session, i can hardly stop shaking, often will vomit , just because my body has reached that point,.
    Nutrition is always planned prior to training, times and quantity and hydration is never an issue for myself , but should never be underestimated, you are just pushing yourself,extremly, be aware , but continue your hard work , best wishes

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I have never felt like vomiting after an intense workout session. Good thing.

I have felt pretty dizzy after some heavy squats allthough. I could never imagine vomiting from exersise, yikes... It cant be good.

9. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

puking after/during a workout is a sign of overtraining. just go a little easier next time you train/work out.

i too don't know the "exact" cause of the puking. when you're training really hard, why would you're body suddenly throw out potential nutrients and much needed water from your stomach when it needs it the most? is it because the digestive process is too slow and energy consuming?
    any sports scientists/doctors here know the answer?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Much like the whole "no pain, no gain" myth, it's not true that you should have to puke after a workout. Keep hydrated, and if you feel sick, STOP!

11. Aaron Fields

Aaron Fields Valued Member

It is not alwasy a physical thing folks, often it is a combo of numerous stimuli. Puking is no big deal, it happens in our club all the time.

Also I played lacrosse with a guy in college who would puke before every game and he was an outstanding player. Nerves....everbody is different.

Aaron Fields
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If you dont eat before working out, your going to be mellting everysingle piece of muscle you ever had.

I've thrown up after a 20 rep squat before. I went too hard and destroyed myself.

Dont go full bore all the time, go hard, but make sure that you give your body time to adjust to new weight increments.

13. Falcore

Falcore almost acceptable

My rugby club used to employ a conditioner we knew as "Dr Kenny". Can't remember his last name, but he was a lecturer at Qld University of Tech. Hard mongrel - every session during preseason finished with about 30% of the squad yakking. Now the squad was about 140 guys, so thats 40 big guys puking...

14. NaughtyKnight

Puking usually means that you are getting driven bloody hard.

After my mate got back from basic training. He told me that most the guys used to yak after doing the runs in the morning. Gradually their bodies adapted to the hard yakka and they were fine.

15. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

lol when i use to be in swimming my coach would say if u puke its a good sign. becuz u r training urself past ur limits and that is 'good'. most likely puke cuz of fatigue.

16. NaughtyKnight

So obviously your rice is at the bottom of the pool somewhere. ;) :D

17. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Its generally when your working really quite hard and your body just doesn't know which way is up so to speak. If your gonna puke best to have a sit down for a bit heh

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Avoid fatty foods before training and add some rest periods to settle your stomach.

19. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Sometimes it happens in our club with some newer students. Many times it because they had something to eat just before training.
    I think one should eat at least 2 hours before a heavy workout