Vista Service pack 1

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cheesypeas, Oct 1, 2008.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Ok folks, I am supposed to download and install Service pack 1 for Vista on my laptop.

Now having a long memory of doing the same with XP and losing the facility to go online (amongst a host of other things) together with the fact there is lots of conflicting info on the microsoft help page (nothing new there then).........

I thought it prudent to ask my fellow mappers if any of you have installed the Vista service pack and if it went smoothly.

Thank in advance for any feedback...:)

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Nope! I just dumped Windows entirely and went with Ubuntu. :) Before you do the install, make sure you have all the other updates. SP1 for Vista has a few pre-requisits or dependencies as we call them in the Linux world. Without them your PC will be trashed and you'll need to start over.

Double check all the info. I'll have a look at what's needed and make another post soon. :D

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok I checked. Microsoft "recommend" you use automatic updates. But the standalone installer apparently has everything. Which I know isn't much help. But Microsofts web site gives me a headache.

I've heard of the automatic update method giving people hassles. The standalone package should install like any other Windows software. So take the plunge and download Ubuntu! :D

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I use the auto update on Vista and everything runs OK so far. Only problem I've had is trying out some gym membership software that wasn't meant to run on Vista. Dam thing nearly ate my PC!

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I think autoupdate probably works fine for the vast majority. But some people have had issues with it crashing their PC. We're talking BSOD on an update here. Not good. The same thing happens with SP3 for XP.

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Thanks Guys.

I have just installed it...any problems I will post for the benefit of other poor souls!:)

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Which method did you opt for?

8. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Automatic update.

The only thing I found so far (apart from my homepage being changed) was when I went to download some photos from a camera and my computor reinstalled the driver. Works OK. Bit worried about my other camera though as it was a git to get to work with Vista in the first place and it cost a small fortune. Fingers crossed. :)