Violent sleeping

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by axelb, Nov 15, 2004.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'm interested to know how many other MAs out there sleep violently.

The queiry comes up after occasionally when I'm not sleeping well/sleeping lightly (sometimes after a few drinks... or more), and having dreams about training or confrontation of some kind, then I wake up and do something stupid like I did the other night and kick my computer desk (lucky I didn't break it :( )

I know of a few others (including my Dad, who was a MAist) who would wake up punching/kicking in someway. :eek:

If anyone else has had this, then how have they dealt with this? Or how have your partners dealt with it? :eek: :cry:

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

sometimes when i'm sleeping not in a deep sleep but a light sleep i.e my consiousness is still very much there, i imagine something is pouncing on me and i actually jump...like a flinch reaction, but as soon as i do it i realise theres nothing really there. I don't know why this happens, it's quite strange but i guess it could be something to do with my subconcious thought??? :confused:

3. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

I was half asleep on the bed one night and suddendly sprung a punch at my better half (a powerful punch) but I kinda woke up suddendly at the exact same time, and realised what was happening and pulled the punch before it hit. It all happened in a split-second and she just thought I'd woken up suddendly and nothing more - but my heart was racing 'cos I knew I had come very very close to really clocking her.

I think it's just muscle memory or dreaming about training (is that counted as training?). I haven't done anything about it but I haven't done it again so.... ?

4. axelb

I've had the same, and managed to pull my punches kicks in time now,

but the better half wasn't so fortunate before from my elbow :( :cry:
    I think since then I have been better at controlling it. It seems to happen only when I am sleeping lightly.

May have to get a straight jacket for bed time if it gets too bad.

5. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

lol... funny you would bring up this topic... I thought I was the only one... Sometimes I punch the wall in my sleep or wake up for a second and do it... Other times I "talk tough" in my sleep, like, "yeah, I'ma kill you man"... *shrugs* iono though, that's according to my brother and other people, i catch myself talking sometimes though, and I wake up like, shut up yo...

6. JamieD

JamieD Valued Member

Happens to me every night. Sometime re-living old conforntations. Have never been a very deep sleeper any way.I have luckily never hurt my partner by striking out but it is a real possibility. Sound silly but do you go to sleep thinking about MA's, perhaps your training that day and what you have taken away from it. If so try thinking about something else.

J

7. axelb

Could be that, I train most days, and think about it all days. Think I will have to try and releave my brain of thoughts before going to sleep.

8. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Nearly broke my gf's arm a couple of weeks ago. I was having a dream about fighting someone, and I had their arm in some kind of lock, my girlfriend woke up screaming at me to let go to which I immeadietly did. Really messed me up - whenever I sleep there now, I tell myself before I go to bed to wake up if Im dreaming about fighting for about two minutes, so its in my head as I sleep. Seems to have worked so far...

9. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

i often dream about fighting some1 but i havnt actually hit ne thing yet but i found all of the above very interesting.
    i ocasionly do a sort of twitch wen i get hit in my dream though i suppose this is just a subconcious reflect though :D

10. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Yep, I've experianced it also, as have my father and brother. :D

I haven't had it in a while, but luckily I haven't injured myself through it yet. I'm not sure how you could deal with it though... Sleep Therapy perhaps?

11. Senga

Senga GenkiGirl

I think the only timethat i remember doing something like that was once my sister tried to take off my headphones in my sleep so i could sleep better but i was half-dreaming/wake and she brushed my leg when she came to my bed.

Automatically, i violently kicked but i saw my sister's form in the dark and my whole body back (don't really know how i did that lying down) and it ended up looking like a giant jerk. My sis was cracking up. she still does whenever she remembers, but i don't think she realized how close to getting hurt she was.

::shudder:: if it had been anyone else other than family, maybe i would have not hesitated and end up breaking something.

12. woodrow

woodrow Banned Banned

Common among people who train too much. Martial arts affects the brain, not just the body. If you practice too much, your brain doesn't work as well.

That is why I like to talk about martial arts as being for personal development instead of fighting. If you talk about fighting all the time, you get really aggressive. Even in your sleep. You are mentally training yourself to strike out at an "attack". Even if the "attack" is your partners arm touching you in bed in the night.

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's been observed in soldiers who've survived horrific confrontations- not in people who take karate 3 times a week.

14. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

^^^what about someone who's been training every day for 5-10 years hardcore?

15. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

LOL!..true although it can affect people training to a lesser extent to that of a soldier but nontheless it does affect ones subconscience.

16. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I see myself fighting frequently in my sleep but i don't ever punch kick. (i'm usually sleeping with my g/f if i did that i woulb be out of there :D .

Now that we're talking about fighting dreams, i almost always see i can't punch fast in my sleep. Like i'm trying to do it fast but i can't and its done in slow motion... weird...

17. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

I've woken up with bruises on the inside of my arm, which leads me to believe I was blocking or doing some odd strikes during my sleep. Last weekend I tore my fitted sheet to shreds somehow too. I went to bed with the sheet perfectly fine, but when i woke up it had huge tears everywhere. odd huh?

18. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

QUICK....call the men in white coats! :D

19. Chingmann

Chingmann New Member

I tend to dream that Iam fighting....but in those dreams I seem so sloooowwww and weak, my strikes do nothing...that kinda thing. THen I suddenly lunge out (in real life) and I still get this really dropey feeling.

20. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Maybee incoporate some yoga classes into your training week to relax you a bit and to calm your mind.