Vikings series 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dan93, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Lagertha, better looking and didn't whine about getting a little dirty!

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Lagertha all day. My Norn character in Guild Wars 2 has the same hair style, haha.

I dislike Aslaug.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Seriously? Normal woman vs. Skeletor? I eat vs. I don't eat. :confused:

Edit: You picked a really unflattering picture for Princess Aslaug.

4. Unreal Combat

There's a flattering picture for a skeleton?

5. Ero-Sennin

Attached Files:

6. Unreal Combat

To be honest I still find her unattractive in that picture. :D

7. Ero-Sennin

I don't find either of them attractive honestly. I just thought the deathly skeleton picture was an injustice for comparison. :p

8. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I have only watched one episode of the Vikings because to me its to unrealistic, they are to clean and good looking the clothes the hair etc and apparently they were very violent in battle and the battle scenes are to tame and the worst thing was the AC/DC music it just wreaks it like that movie that Heath Ledger was in called A Knight's Tale.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

From my understanding Knights Tale was meant to be based on the Canterbury Tales. For some reason that makes the Queen music make far more sense to me.

The battles seem to have dropped in quality this season. The amount of clear misses during those scenes is way higher than last season.

10. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Actually Vikings were well known for their attention to hygiene and grooming actually, they have found a number of combs, tweezers and ear spoons in burials and documentation from the time well documents their love of bathing and regularly changing of their garments, compare that to other cultures of the time... Hollywood myth that they were dirty, unkept battle mad barbarians....

One example would be the medieval chronicler John of Wallingford (eleventh century) actually wrote that the Danes were too clean and they combed their hair every day, washed every Saturday, and changed their clothes regularly, he goes on to complain that this was one of the main reasons that high born married women and their daughters were often seduced by them..

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Lagertha all the way for me, Princess Aslaug does not do it for me, actually was WTF when Ragnar cheated on her with Aslaug. Guess he had his mead goggles on.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah, that's why I always have a giggle at the viking loving pagans and neo-nazis. Sorry Dan! :) Edit: Pagan, nt that I am accusing you of being a neo-nazi. I mean you might be, but I don't think so.

They weren't the dirty, brutal warriors that they have been portrayed to be. More a reasonably trained army fighting a bunch of cavemen.

A lot of the Viking tribes (the Danes especially) were traders as well.

Meeeh....Vikings, bit rubbish really. Give me Mongols any day. Myths about them lot too, but at least they were nails.

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

LOL pagan maybe, pass on the Neo Nazi tag :) Totally agree with you.

Most were literate as well which also destroys alot of the the Hollywood myth. Vikings were tough enough to be hired throughout the ancient world as mercenaries but there is another side to the coin.

They were also amazing craftsmen, Ulfberht steel was unparalleled until the industrial revolution, watched the below program on Youtube a while back and the amount of detail and skill needed to recreate a Ulfberht is staggering.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM"]Secrets of the Viking Sword (2012) full - YouTube[/ame]

Personally a Viking fan here as part of my ancestry and personally is my favourite period of history and Vahalla sounds like one hell of a party.

14. Bozza Bostik

15. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Hmm interesting ok I can believe that but im pretty sure that they weren't listening to AC/DC.

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ancient History & Archeology. :D

Spartacus always seemed a little OTT.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It was OTT but I have to admit to quite liking it. I thought it was surprisingly well writte.

18. Bozza Bostik

I watched the first series of Spartacus, but started to find the whole thing way too OTT near the end. Not that I am prude at all...but if you want to see boobs and blood there are better things to watch ;). I actually think the sex and violence ruined the series. Or should I say the way the violence was filmed.

I kinda watched about 10 minutes of the second series and gave up. More of the same.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Me and the missus watched all the Spartacus series. Really enojoyed even though it's obviously OTT.
    We didn't call it Spartacus in our house though...we called if "Blood and *insert anglo saxon here*". :)

20. Bozza Bostik

Vikings, Rome, Spartacus...nothing compares to the best historical TV series ever though.

Bring it back I say. I miss the creative use of the swears!

[​IMG]