Videos?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by CriticalDog, Sep 3, 2013.

1. CriticalDog

CriticalDog Valued Member

So, I'm resuming Kuk Sool training after a loooooong absence. I'm looking forward to it!

As I'm perusing things to help me continue to get back to where I'm supposed to be, I'm seeing some different video sets... the standard WKSWA videos (which last I heard were just the old VHS tapes transfered to DVD) and some put out by Marlin Sims, as well as others.

Does anyone have any opinions on either set, one way or the other?

I used to have (I admit, shamefully) a copy of the 1st WKSWA DVD that was pirated but I appear to have pitched the disc when I cleaned out my desk last. to be honest, it didn't seem to be all that helpful in regards to relearning technique. Maybe the 2nd and 3rd discs are better?

2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

3. JKN-Pellegrini

JKN-Pellegrini Valued Member

I have DVDs 2 through 4, IIRC.
    They are a good reference for form and technique, when the textbooks by themselves aren't enough. IMO the textbook and DVDs complement each other. Pictures don't convey action, and video doesn't always capture or spend time in details like proper holds.

The youtube videos I have seen are more of a demo nature, and the action is pretty fast, so they are not always helpful (although they are good for knocking rust off your memory when you get stuck, though).