Videos of Steven Seagal teaching Aikidō in Russia

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Big Will, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Don't know if Mr. Seagal is liked here on the forum or not, but here's a news report of a seemingly recent event where he was teaching Aikidō in Russia:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psb29yl7IKY"]Action star Seagal shares aikido expertise with Russians [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a longer clip from the actual seminar:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxDKVPj11jQ"]Steven Seagal in Russia - YouTube[/ame]

And here's one where he's hanging with President Putin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bUvdAQY9xo"]Путин Ð’.Ð’. СобÑнин Steven Seagal in Moscow - YouTube[/ame]

:)

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ahem... nice translator in that last clip!

Anyway, I've seen older footage of him teaching aikido where he moved a lot better. His economy was good in the second clip, but he looks a lot more stilted and unbalanced than he used to.

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I think he is mocked and derided as much as the next man, take from that what you will.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Meh, as far as I know he's good at aikido. I wouldn't care so much if he didn't talk so much crap.

5. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

He still has a good head of hair!

6. David Harrison

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH6HtkySiCQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Steven Seagal - Master Of The Aikido - YouTube[/ame]

Regardless of how silly anyone may think the training is, it's obvious he had pretty good form and a clue about intent.

7. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

This is pretty much the universal opinion on Seagal. He's good, but he's a jerk.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What's the opinion on video 2 from people who know Aikido? To my completely untrained eye, he looked like he knew what he was doing, but he was given a lot of opportunity by the uke to apply his holds and they did lots of leaping breakfalls to make it look good.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

P.S. Is Steven Seagal actually the second incarnation of The Master from Dr Who?

Attached Files:

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

From the later part of the video I got the impression the topic of that hour was hand/wrist controls. That's mostly what he was demoing at the beginning, and it would make sense, then, to go slow. He was even turning around sometimes to let the other side of the room see him, when doing so was utterly unnecessary for the move; again, that makes sense if he was instructing them on something particular.

Plus, based on my experiences on the mat with different high-level black belts, I have every reason to believe that his nikyo comes on near-instantaneously and with much pain. The uke had incentive to go along nicely.

11. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Seagal holds seventh dan which makes him a master of the art. A Master deserves respect.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I disagree.

I respect the fact that he has obtained the title Master, but he is a person like anyone else and earns his respect like anyone else.

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

+1.

Eh, Seagal once obtained the rank of 7th dan and fairplay to him. But I think it kinda stands for itself that the majority of videos where he actually gets involved properly with demonstrations and training and moves effectively are much older videos. The newer footage I've seen of him - on the show where he was an honorary deputy in America, youtube, working with MMA stars (etc), his movement always feel significantly stiffer and slower compared to when he was younger. To a degree that would make sense, most people just aren't that agile when they're older - but he's not that old and I've trained under guys in their sixties and seventies who could train much harder and move much better. Plus his way of moving and defending himself in the earlier videos always felt really off, too. Give me a video of Shihan Tissier anyday.

I suppose I should pay a lot more respect for him, but I just can't. The guy really grinds my gears.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I disagree. It's not uncommon in martial arts for grades to be handed out for reasons other than technical ability. In addition, Steven Seagal has something of a reputation for being quite arrogant to say the least.

The practice of bowing down to people just because they lay claim to a higher grade, which is just a number btw, is how McDojo's flourish. Claims to greatness should be questioned and tested. Other than a basic degree of courtesy to one's training partners. Respect should be earned.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

black is very slimming though.

16. David Harrison

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm inclined to agree with this. Not so long ago, if someone had told me they'd got their 7th Dan, I would have just paid them the respect I felt they deserved (beyond basic courtesy). But a long time back, I got burned by doing this with a former instructor. Let's just say he didn't turn out to be as much as he made himself out to be and I've moved on to learn from a different dojo with a much better instructor. :bang:

That said, I still wouldn't agree with physically expecting a much older practitioner to prove themselves in the same way, but I'm sure there are other ways of testing their knowledge of the art. The hard part is how to do this without sounding like you're being a bit of a muppet.

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Everybody from my original Ki Aikido club who is still training and held a dan grade when I started as a white belt is now at least a 5th dan. Several are 6th dans and I think at least one is a 7th dan. A high dan ranking in Aikido and Ki Aikido all too often just doesn't hold the same degree of prestige it used to.

19. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

I was taught to respect a master. I'm not saying you should get down on your hands and knees and kiss his feet, but anyone who has earned that title has earned respect.

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The key phrase being, "earned the title."

Mitch