videos of fights

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ikken Hisatsu, May 3, 2005.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

2. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

I have a good HL of his fight against minowa, and I have his full fight against chonan. I'm heading up to the cottage till sunday in about 5 minutes though, and it's a 98 megabyte file for the baroni vs. chonan fight so there's no way I can get it hosted before I leave. I'll put it up on sunday or monday if you still want it then though.

3. Splush

Splush Valued Member

Thanks. I can't believe Baroni lost in this 1st round.

4. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

I can, and I'm glad he did... by yeah, I'm uploading baroni vs chonan and baroni vs minowa I HL to yousendit, will have em up in a bit.

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I watched the Kimbo-Gannon fight.

Probably the best example of street fighter vs martial arts you are gonna get. Can anyone deny Kimbo is as good of an untrained street fighter as there is? And Gannon has MA training of some kind. So it's an intersting match-up for that reason.

Gannon's face is DESTROYED. Kimbo must have hands like axes. ANYONE who tries to tell you that the MMA gloves are "only to protect the fighter's hands" is FULL OF CRAP. I've watched HUNDREDS of MMA fights and never seen anywhere near this level of damage to a face. (Kimbo and Gannon were bare-knuckle). If the gloves were ONLY to protect the hands, wouldn't this kind of damage be happening even with the gloves on?

But, although Gannon won, he is gonna get beat real bad in the cage against a trained fighter. Even I was able to spot a handful of problems that could be exploited. Kimbo saw them too, which is why Gannon's face was so wrecked. if Kimbo knew how to do ANYTHING other than punch real hard in the head, he would have won.

Thats just my 2 cents.

-D

6. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Umm, no.

First of all, Gannon is a trained fighter, he's a golden gloves champion and has been training in MMA for a long time. In fact his UFC debut is likely to happen in UFC 56.

Secondly Gannon could have destroyed Kimbo much faster in that fight if he was allowed to fight to his potential. In that match up it was boxing only I believe, Gannon wasn't allowed to use his Muay Thai training apart from punches, nor was he allowed to Ground and Pound, nor was he allowed to submit Kimbo.

Lastly, MMA gloves are primarily to protect the fighter's hands. That wasn't an MMA fight, that was a bareknuckle boxing match. You don't eat that many fists to the face in an MMA fight.If that was an MMA fight, I'd put my money on Gannon to win in under a minute. You're making the mistake of gauging damage based on blood... yes bare knuckles open cuts obviously, but getting hit by a bare fist as opposed to a fist padded with an MMA glove is not much different in the impact.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  7. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Glad you enjoyed it ;)
    Gannon's going to get mashed in the UFC. Look at it like this - their heavyweight division's shallower than a Jerry Springer guest's gene pool; he'll probably have a title shot at Arlovski by the end of the year. Imagine what he'll look like after that! :eek:
    To be honest, I think Kimbo lost that purely because he gassed out - he wasn't out because he was hit too much he was counted out because he was too knackered to stand. There's no denying Gannon's got one hell of a chin and a lot of heart, but he's just flat out not UFC calibre and he's only got this shot because of this fight, boxing and judo background or not.
    As for Kimbo's training; there's a lot of interweb-lore about him but I'd lay money that he's had at least some formal boxing training. If you watch the first fight of him that did the rounds, he slipped a hook like a pro before dropping that eye-smashing left

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  9. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

If you want lot's of fight clips.. Subfighter some great stuff there..

10. Splush

Splush Valued Member

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I agree, Gannon IS a trained figher. That's why I said, "Probably the best example of street fighter vs martial arts you are gonna get."

OK so when you are on the receiving end of a GnP, how many fists to the face do you receive? Many. NOBODY ever looked like Gannon coming out of a UFC fight, not that I have seen.

Kimbo might have landed 12-20 punches on Gannon's face in 8 minutes. Liddel landed that many on Ortiz in about 10 seconds. Tito had a little cut on his nose. Gannons face's was a bloody swollen mess, he had a mouse the size of a rat on his forehead, lips were destroyed, eyes swollen shut and bleeding... did you see the video? Or are you making the mistake of gauging damage based on ... nothing? It was alot more than just blood.

I still say this is BS, and you haven't come close to making a case to the contrary. I think this is part of the "MMA pwns" myth and the Kimbo-Gannon fight is graphic proof that the gloves DO make a BIG difference in the amount of damage done.

12. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I'd say the impact is the same, when you clench your fist in mma gloves they're pretty tight and dont have much give if you poke them, they're solid.

However, they are not bony and rigid like your knuckles are, and thats why knuckles do more damage, they cut and press into your face making marks when you get hit.

13. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I can't seem to find the link to this Kimbo-Gannon fight, what page is the link on? Thanks.

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I don't think I'm allowed to post it due to excessive potty mouth etc but if you want it, PM me and I'll hook you up

15. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Just watched the video (thanks again Sever :)). What was the background behind it? It didn't exactly look like a properly sanctioned event, lol. Thanks.

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

yeah I'm sure the NY State Boxing Commission was not invited. or whatever state it was held in.

17. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

yet you also said, "But, although Gannon won, he is gonna get beat real bad in the cage against a trained fighter."

First off, you generally don't see people coming out of MMA fights looking like that because of a little thing called doctor stoppages. However, I have still seen many instances of fighter's receiving that kind of damage to their face, the most recent coming to mind being Sakuraba vs. Arona.

Secondly, when you are on the receiving end of a GnP and you receive powerful fists to the face you generally don't last long. When a heavyweight MMA fighter lands full power GnP punches to their opponents face the fight is usually over very shortly after via (T)KO/Cuts. When heavyweight fighters survive off their backs against a striking opponent in their guard/mount, it's generally because they either dodge, block or deflect the incoming punches. They seldom take repeated clean shots and endure.

Yeah, and Gannon was still standing... Tito lay unconscious on the canvas. Again, you're making the mistake of gauging the damaging force based on superficial wounds. Swollen lips and cuts are a poor indicator of how hard one's brain rattles against their skull from punches received. Bare knuckles do a lot more surface damage than MMA gloved fists obviously, but they don't hit much harder. Now you're partially right in suspecting that gloves aren't solely for fighter protection, just not at all in the way you're implying. They are also to reduce the frequency of fight ending cuts, as they make for an indecisive and disappointing finish.

Also put just a little wee bit of logical thought into it. In what fashion do the fans, and therefore MMA organizations alike wish for the fight to end? By Knockout. MMA organizations don't want to lessen the impact of their fighters' punches. They want knockouts, as knockouts please the crowd and bring home the bacon. The aim of the MMA glove is to protect the fighters' hands and to reduce the frequency of doctor stoppages due to cuts, while minimally hindering the fighters' abilities.

Yes btw, I have seen the fight.

No, the Kimbo Gannon fight is graphic proof that the gloves do make a big difference in the ammount of surface damage done. Did you ever see Gannon drop from one of Kimbo's punches?

Again, you can easily open a cut with a glancing blow, try knocking somebody out with one.

But yeah, that's great that you still tell yourself it's all B.S. I mean, what do the fighter's know anyways right?

Oh and btw, this is a direct quote concerning the fight from Sean Gannon off of a forum he posts on:

"injury report - hands swollen but not broken. the welt on my head went down quickly...unfortunately, it went down into my eye area, completely swelling it shut. nose is broken...was surprised, didn't even feel it. other than that i'm fine."

Those are all extremely common injuries within MMA fights. The guy wasn't even concussed and you think that fight was a clear example of the damaging force of bareknuckles over MMA gloves?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yikes!
    Please tell me Saku didn't get pounded by Arona!!!! :cry:
    I haven't seen this... anyone have this?!!?

Please post and I'll be more than happy to repost! :Angel:

19. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Yeah, I have the fight, however I'd have to edit it out of PRIDE Critical Countdown to make it hostable. Don't know how to do that though.

20. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Updated fight collection

Just my updated list of fights on my computer.

- Royler Gracie vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto
    - Genki Sudo vs. Royler Gracie
    - Sakuraba vs. Arona
    - Wanderlei Silva vs. Nakamura
    - Andy Hug vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic HL
    - Phil Baroni vs. Ikuhisha Minowa HL
    - Buakaw vs. Masato rounds 3 and 4.
    - Buakaw vs. Kohi
    - Mark Hunt vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
    - Dekkers vs. Oronoh
    - Dekkers vs. Kohi
    - Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira