Video trailer with Kacem Zoughari - Gyokko Ryû

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Big Will, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Here's a video trailer with Kacem that I made, from a recent seminar in Stockholm on Gyokko Ryû Kosshijutsu & Tôjutsu.

Hope some of you here will enjoy it! :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmUIltmj2E"]Dr. Kacem Zoughari - Gyokko Ryû Kosshijutsu & Tôjutsu - Trailer[/ame]

2. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

いつも同じ、いつも違うどろう!

私は待てないよ!

3. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Very nice video Big Will. Do you handle video professionally as well?

-Daniel

4. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

Great video - I recognise a couple of faces right near the end... :D

5. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Thank you, and actually yes :) Been studying TV/media-production for almost two years now, graduating in June :hat:

6. Ikai

Ikai Valued Member

Good video. He moves well.

Is there some iai in the tojutsu ?

7. antihero.zero

antihero.zero Valued Member

Solid video. The instructor appears to show quite good form, but it's difficult to properly judge with the clips being so brief.

8. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yup! :cool:

9. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Valued Member

So Kacem is supposed to be teaching (unknown to most) a section of Gyokko ryu that has been lost in the current generation of Kenjutsu(more correctly tojutsu) that was passed from Hatsumi to Ishizuka? Is this correct?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  10. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

I don't think anyone here, or in the video, has mentioned anything about anyone passing something to someone, or any sections in Gyokko ryû being lost somewhere?

11. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Valued Member

Well this video in conjunction with some other threads maybe. So am I wrong to assume that Kacem Z is showing Gyokko ryu Tojutsu? Something I would say very few know of if this is true. Obviously if thats the case it would have came to him via Ishizuka-Hatsumi no? I'me only asking because I do not know. Alot of people do know there were things lost in the ryu-ha over the years, for example SFR Iai or there used to be the rumors of Gyokko ryu bojutsu, etc and I am not talking about the "feeling" of Gyokko ryu but actual kata.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  12. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yes, we did Gyokko Ryû Tôjutsu with Kacem at the seminar. And of course it comes from the source of Gyokko Ryû, i.e. its Sôke Hatsumi Masaaki. Where else? :)

I'm also pretty sure that a lot of things that people think have been lost, are in fact not - including Shinden Fudô Ryû Iai and Gyokko Ryû Bôjutsu. Just maybe Sôke hasn't taught everything to everyone - or anyone for that matter.

13. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Valued Member

thanks Will, fair enough answer

14. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

The best one to ask is Mr Zoughari in person I think. All I can say is that the seminar covered Gyokko Ryu unarmed kata (from first level) and Toujutsu.
    Source? I dont know
    Lost? I dont know
    Interesting? Yes!

From the seminar It has become obvious that there is lots of things I dont know about the Ryu-ha of the Bujinkan.

Regards / Skuggvarg

15. Manga

Manga Moved On

I have to admit, this is something that puzzles me too. Is Kacem showing Gyokko-ryu Iai in the sense of actual Iai kata found in the Gyokko-ryu written transmissions or is he showing Iai kata which are kata that have either been created or modified so as to create Iai with the flavour of Gyokko-ryu?

I recall a few years ago when we studied Gyokko-ryu Bojutsu and the kata were actually from another school. I remember discussing it with my instructor and we were of the general opinion that the kata had been taken from one school, given the flavour of Gyokko-ryu and added to the material (whether this was done formally or informally is something we were unable to know of course).

Years ago, I recall attending some training where we took Iai from various traditions and the instructor would say "here is how this kata might be done with a Kukishin-ryu feel, or this is how that kata might be modified to reflect Gyokko-ryu" and so on.

Having said that, it's perfectly feasible that the Gyokko-ryu still maintains actual Iai kata and Toujutsu. I remember seeing something from Koto-ryu once and saying to the instructor "wow, where did this come from?" and he replied "yeah, big surprise to me too, I had no idea this was in Koto-ryu but this came straight from the top". So I'm more than happy to accept that there are whole sections of the traditions that the majority of us have no idea about :hat:

16. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yes, there is most definitely a big difference between doing (for example) Gyokko Ryû Iai and iai with a Gyokko ryû "flavor" or feeling.

Then it obviously wasn't Gyokko Ryû Bôjutsu :)

17. Manga

Manga Moved On

Big Will said - "Then it obviously wasn't Gyokko Ryû Bôjutsu :)"

The only problem is that this was what was being shown in Japan and brought back as Gyokko-ryu Bojutsu :eek:

So this is why I'm interested in finding out whether these are actual Gyokko-ryu Iai kata from the written transmissions or whether these are kata from another source which have been re-worked to fit the Gyokko-ryu technical base and philosophy. I have absolutely no problem with this if it's true and many fine schools have done such things. Of course, if they're from the actual Gyokko-ryu written transmissions then it's even more interesting :cool:

18. jameswhelan

jameswhelan Valued Member

Lets see the names of these katas so we can see if they come from somewhere else. Anything else is innuendo.

Mokuroku, or it didn't happen.

19. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've never studied Gyokko Ryu Tojutsu other than adding sword to the base unarmed stuff that we all know and love

However, I have studied Gyokko Ryu bo/yari kata that are specific to Gyokko Ryu so would suggest that there may well be sword forms in the school

Dunc

20. OrangutanAttack

OrangutanAttack Keeping BBT&BJJ seperate

Become a real student of someone who has Menkyo Kaiden in one of the Ryu Ha and then many of these questions should one day become clear.

Or so I am told...